Mail order pharmacies

Would you consider using (or do you currently use) a mail order pharmacy?

• I use a mail order pharmacy currently

Votes: 40 37.4%
  • I would consider using a mail order pharmacy

Votes: 24 22.4%
  • No - prefer to pay cash locally

Votes: 15 14.0%
  • No - other concern (please post reasoning / concerns in thread)

Votes: 28 26.2%

• Total voters

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

I was recently told by my insurance company that we are eligible for mail order, and that it would save us craptons of money. So we are looking into it.

I get e-mail ads all the time.
I hate it. There is absolutely no way for me to check and see if what I am getting is correct.

I would consider any email solicitations received out of the blue (ie. not from a source that I had previously contacted) as spam at best and possibly malicious (an attempt to install malware on the computer).

Yep, I forward any such tripe to phishing at irs.gov

The only reason I do use them is I'm with Kaiser and they've (finally) put me back onto brand rather than generic. And if they screw up or are late I'm only 9 miles from the facility, so it's really worked well. I don't know if I'd use mail order otherwise.
I use Kaiser too, and they have always gotten my meds to me. I order as soon as I can, and I know that if they screw up I can go to the regular pharmacy the next day. Ordering my trileptal is something I just remembered to do, too!

Another thing to sort of...I don't know, "ensure" that you never run out is to dose out a week's worth of all of your meds and put it into a safe place! That way if it's, like, midnight/Saturday or Sunday and you have the wrong meds in the mail you can get through til their local pharmacies are open again. Just an idea!

Plus, if you can't drive/don't feel safe going out alone mail-order is a Godsend...<3

Last edited:
Food for thought: When the USPS postal service cuts down on deliveries, will that impact delivery of our medications? If another service delivers them, I suppose that will not impact our supplies.

I'll just have to remember to refill sooner...not easy when my memory sucks! I am keeping a week of meds at my mom's house as an er supply/backup just in case!

I'll just have to remember to refill sooner...not easy when my memory sucks! I am keeping a week of meds at my mom's house as an er supply/backup just in case!

I have atrocious memory as well, but I usually am just to lazy to refill it.

I will never get mail order meds from Ins Cos again! I had 2 TC's within a year after mandatory changes in my health care plan required mail order pills. I switched to self pay, upon filling my script the pharmacist told me of how all their old meds were bought by the insurance cos. for pennies on the dollar! About 6 mos later mail order meds were no longer mandatory at work. Hmmmmmm!

If I was American I would be penniless. How do Americans with disabilities pay for it. I'm just so thankful for the NHS, it annoys me so much when people complain about it.

(That is, I don't use online pharmacies)

As an American it's not always easy. My neighbor pays over $2,200.00 a month for health insurance for him his wife and 1 child and that's one of the cheaper plans. Like the NHS we too have free health and medical, low income housing (if you can find any) food stamps etc. But medical costs are outrageous here.

I don't use online pharmacies either but some people are forced to use them though because that's all their insurance will cover.

As an American it's not always easy. My neighbor pays over $2,200.00 a month for health insurance for him his wife and 1 child and that's one of the cheaper plans. Like the NHS we too have free health and medical, low income housing (if you can find any) food stamps etc. But medical costs are outrageous here.

I don't use online pharmacies either but some people are forced to use them though because that's all their insurance will cover.

If you have an NHS equivalent, why do people still pay $2,200 for healthcare? I thought I heard a while ago that they were going to introduce free healthcare in America but there was an outcry about it. I know we're not supposed to talk about politics but could you explain that to me because that one confuses the hell of me.

Last edited:
Just a silly group of people who want things there way.

just in case of problems

I like to have a well known pharmacy that I can go to anytime there is a problem. Say I travel 500 miles from home on vacation and when I reach my destination, I find that I have forgotten my medications. I want to know that I can go to the retail pharmacy I use at home and be able to get enough medication to get through til I get back home. Some would say.. don't forget your meds, but with my memory I can't depend on me not forgetting.

I voted no for other reasons:
I have been filling my prescriptions with the same pharmacy, and anytime I get a new prescription for anything they are SO good about letting me know if it is friendly with my meds (supplements and such also). I know you can look this stuff up. Call me old fashioned but I just like to hear it from someone I can bounce quick questions back and forth with. Back before I became an RN, I didn't know about generic medications, so my pharmacy actually suggested them to me.. which made life much easier as you all know :)
Also, how are you going to guarantee the quality of what you're buying online? Maybe there are trusted sites out there.. I don't know much about the online pharmaceutical world.. but I do know that they are more interested in money than anything else.

My wife's insurance forces me to use their mail order pharmacy which in turn saves me $700 ever three months. Yes, I can haz. Just remember to order two weeks early.

mail order

I use Walgreens and I fill original prescription at the store and refills online. If I need it sooner I pick up at store. Best of both worlds!

Our insurance plan offers mail order and sometimes we use it. We are getting it directly from Blue Shield. Most of the time we use a local pharmacy.

I would not be interested in going to a mail order pharmacy out of the country. I would not know what I was getting.

I would be too nervous about a foreign company to use them. But Washington State has a program where the state will mail your stuff to you from the local pharmacy and that would save a lot of money for them and time/effort for me BUT, I am a bit nervous about how my scripts change every once in a while and i would have to get a new form from them and send it in again. How long would that take? And when i am out of town? Last month, i was in Wisconsin and had my pharmacy call Wallgreens to transfer and i got a refill (thank god. i was shaking with anxiety). I try to stock up when i leave town for a bit but you know, sometimes...

Back
Top Bottom