Manchurian Candidate

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

petero

New
Reaction score
does anyone else get a Manchurian Candidate type of feeling like their actions are being controlled by hypnosis or something, associated with seizures or aura?
I get this feeling at times and it seems like it might be associated with the déjà vu sensations wherein actions might have a mental reaffirmation, at first when imagined and then reaffirmed when acted on, but wherein the reaffirmation is sensed as a kind of external control of actions.
I have had paranoia associated with this before but the déjà vu I've learned to see this more as a memory lapse type of phenomena, maybe associated with phenytoin, rather than as something with cause for concern
but the Manchurian Candidate description came to mind and seems very fit for the phenomena

Not exactly. I do tend to dissociate from my actions in a way that I would describe more like ... I just checked out of my body, but knowing that I would need to keep going for a few more seconds before my seizure started, so I plugged in a sort of autopilot program. So, I'm no longer controlling my body and mind, but just watching the program play itself out while my brain overloads and shuts down.

So, yeah, I'd say I have something similar - not exactly that, but that same sort of dissociation. Those "sorts" of feelings are pretty common.

Not exactly. I do tend to dissociate from my actions in a way that I would describe more like ... I just checked out of my body, but knowing that I would need to keep going for a few more seconds before my seizure started, so I plugged in a sort of autopilot program. So, I'm no longer controlling my body and mind, but just watching the program play itself out while my brain overloads and shuts down.

So, yeah, I'd say I have something similar - not exactly that, but that same sort of dissociation. Those "sorts" of feelings are pretty common.

that's similar too I guess
that happens with some aura - like an out-of-body viewing

sometimes it feels like someone is controlling my actions and I'm being punished or somehow pushed

I try to rationalize it as my mind seeing contingencies and then when certain outcomes do take place I just see them as being schemed or part of some sort of sequence I'm subject to
but it's sublime details of events that really make these an issue for me

Back
Top Bottom