Marinol???

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Cari

New
Reaction score
My daughter was recently diagnosed with epilepsy. I have been searching the web trying to find out what might be the best medication to prevent seizures. I was just wondering if anyone has taken the drug Marinol and if so what were the results?

Marinol is basically Marijuana in the form of a pill, though there are some differences, it would probably be worth looking into marijuana for seizure control. I imagine there is far more information on that than there is Marinol. :)

Welcome. Sorry have not heard of that drug. My 28 month old is on Tegretol morning and night but Clobazam at night.

Donna

Hi Cari --

As Silat says, marinol is "medical marijuana" in pill form. It is legal in Canada and the U.S., and considered safe, but your daughter's neurologist may not be comfortable prescribing it for epilepsy (it's officially intended to help with severe nausea related to chemotherapy).

Marinol is a synthetic form of one part of marijuana. The consensus seems to be that it's not as effective as real medical marijuana.

Thanks

Thanks for all the replies. I understand that Marinol is marijuana in a pill form. I have also read where many people have used marijuana to treat epilepsy. Just wondering if anyone out there has actually used Marinol.

I'm on Marinol

I started it 2 weeks ago along with my Valiporic Acid and my seizures have stopped for now. I was having a bad patch of 2-3 episodes per day. After being on the Marinol for a day it stopped.

That's interesting to hear jason. Keep us posted!

I started it 2 weeks ago along with my Valiporic Acid and my seizures have stopped for now. I was having a bad patch of 2-3 episodes per day. After being on the Marinol for a day it stopped.

I want to ensure I understand your post. You were already on VPA. While taking VPA monotherapy you were having 2-3 seizures per day. Two weeks ago you started taking Marinol (in addition to the VPA you were already taking). The addition of the Marinol has (so far) given you two weeks of seizure freedom.

Did I get that right?

Sorry I didn't see this sooner. Ive been taking the marinol now with cbd hemp oil and have had only 3 seizures since January. The cbd hemp oil is legal in all 50 states since its made from hemp. I was able to stop my Valporic acid and able to cut my pain medication from 4 per day to 1-12nd.

Last edited:
Excellent, the oil works well for many. CBD, adult ketogenic diet, prayer/meditation, love, hope, humility, patience, and laughing do it for me.

we were just prescient Marinol

I have an 8 year old son with complex partial seizures and Autism. After trying to treat the seizures for over 4 years now the doctor added Marinol along with his Topamaxx. We have no idea how this is going to work but we are hopeful. It is hard to tell as my son is non verbal. But we are Hooking this will help his seizures and make him eat. I will post what happens

Marinal

I have been told that using a pharmaceutical version of marijuana does not really work as well as the plant itself. I'm inclined to agree. I found that any strain of marijuana with high CBD levels works well. With children, or anyone who doesn't smoke, you can always buy or make CBD oil. It is best to take it in the day as it can be stimulantive.
Personally I've found that 4 tablespoons of virgin, cold pressed, unrefined coconut oil works really well. I use it and a cup of coconut milk. It has been used for people with epilepsy and alsheimers. Check it out on your website.

Best of luck

Back
Top Bottom