Medic Alert Bracelets - Do you wear one?

Do you wear a medical alert bracelet with information about your epilepsy/meds?

• Yes

Votes: 173 44.6%
  • No

Votes: 184 47.4%
  • I've never thought about that!

Votes: 31 8.0%

• Total voters

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Somebody in here mentioned a tattoo. Maybe if it was over the heart, at least if a person was so bad off they needed heart monitoring, CPR, or a shock with the paddles the docs would see it.

It could be a Chick/CabanaBoy magnet, too. On the beach they'll be drawn to us. They'd want to get in real close to read everything on the tattoo, and then they are ours - like a bug in a venus fly trap. And they'd know about our E in advance, too, so they can't plead lack of knowlege and bail when they find out. Hmmmm... I think I'M going for a medic alert tattoo.......

Hmm,

Lesson learned. My wallet card is a bit outdated on my dosing. Right drug at least...

Somebody in here mentioned a tattoo. Maybe if it was over the heart, at least if a person was so bad off they needed heart monitoring, CPR, or a shock with the paddles the docs would see it.

It could be a Chick/CabanaBoy magnet, too. On the beach they'll be drawn to us. They'd want to get in real close to read everything on the tattoo, and then they are ours - like a bug in a venus fly trap. And they'd know about our E in advance, too, so they can't plead lack of knowlege and bail when they find out. Hmmmm... I think I'M going for a medic alert tattoo.......

LOL, I love it.

I honestly believe if you were told that the medic-alert bracelets are ignored you should actually mention this to Medic-Alert.

It is in their best interest that the medical profession reference their jewellery when clients are wearing it.

writing the email now...

but now i honestly prefer the tattoo option, after considering the fringe benefits. (just kidding - wallet card) ;)

plus i can't change the behaviour of the whole city's responders and hospitals, so i have to look out after me. i'll write an email, but i'm also carrying that darn card.

Love the idea of more tatts! Never thought of that one, must come up with a cool design! Any ideas out there?

TexasIrish,

Are you a veteran? If so, you could weave that theme in.

Maybe the medic alert symbol, with a nice rope, chain, or ivy around the information?

Personally, if it were me (literally, me), I'd have this quote by Soichiro Honda in tiny print (smaller than the medical info) around the edge:

"The value of life can be measured by how many times your soul has been deeply stirred."

Then something budding out, like a tree, that has a branch that continues in the unused space around the edge. But that's me.

I'd try the print on some people, too, to see how big you'd have to make it. Maybe the place could make a drawing on a peice of paper first?

Hey - what happens if some day there is a cure, or your medical info changes, like meds or conditions or doctor contact info?

Wow! As a 30 year veteran of Epilepsy AND a Paramedic who has worked the streets for the past 17 years, I am a little disheartened by the 16 pages of posts that I just read through. I will try to be gentle.

I understand that everyone has had their own experiences (real or perceived) but the question is......what can we do about the apparent "disconnect" between medical personnel and persons with Epilepsy (as well as those with other conditions such as diabetics, cardiac problems, allergies, altered mental status problems, etc.)? I have read a lot of negative stuff in this thread regarding EMT's. As a medical professional, I would hope that if someone from my company stole a medic alert tag or money, that they would be reported because they certainly do not belong in this profession. I would also hope that just because of one bad experience with an EMT, that all EMT's aren't labeled as dumb or whatever negative word is used to describe them. Unfortunately, we do have pastors who commit sex crimes, cops who beat their wives and doctors who commit insurance fraud but that does that make all of them bad.

Re: medic alert tag not being used by EMT's or nurses. How can someone who just had a seizure know for sure if the EMT, nurse or doctor did or didn't look at their medic alert tag? If you were seizing, unresponsive or were in a postictal fog then they could have. I know when I see one on my job, it takes me only a few seconds and I am done. I don't go dancing around announcing to the world that I have read the patients tag. You simply note it and go on.

When I am called to a "person having a seizure" or "person unresponsive", if it is not obviously apparent when I get to the patient that it is epilepsy related (ex: mom states that son has epilepsy, forgot his meds and had a seizure), then I have to rule out many things such as diabetes, cardiac, stroke, trauma, simple fainting, airway problems, heat emergency, pregnancy, drugs, alcohol, psycogenic, faking (yes, in the real world people do fake seizures from time to time), etc. EMT's have protocols that they are required to follow and I would say, a large majority of the time, my treatment will be the same regardless of the presence of a medic alert tag or not. We treat the patient and not the tag if that makes sense.

Protocols differ from state to state and county but in my state, and in reference to transporting(or not) patients who have had a seizure, it basically says:
If patient clears completely and does not request transport, is taking his medications, has his own physician and is experiencing his usual frequency of seizures, transport may be unnecessary. Document patient’s mental status and have patient sign a refusal form.
Any deviation from that and most likely the patient will be transported as a precaution for their own safety and not so the company can make money. Note that the actual treatment protocol for seizures is a good page and a half long. So is the one for altered mental status.

If someone doesn't want to go to the hospital, all they have to do is refuse and sign the release. If an EMS crew transports you against your will, that is kidnapping unless you are a danger to yourself or others. Again, state laws differ. Become familiar with yours. EMS should advise you of the dangers of not going to ER and make sure that you fully understand the possible consequences of not being evaluated by a physician. If you are not awake or are still seizing after the length of time it takes bystanders to call 911, get an ambulance to you and get an assessment done by the EMT's then you probably should go to the hospital anyway. Let's look at this another way-- Let's say that John had a seizure and the EMT's came and assessed Johns vitals. John still had altered mental status (probably aggressive postictal fog) and refused transport. The EMT's were not able to get John to sign a refusal but they left anyway. After EMT's left, John started seizing again. He was alone (or maybe his mom had jumped in the shower) and he died from aspiration, hypoxia or from just because it was his time to go. After Johns family gets through dragging the EMT's and the ambulance company through court for abandonment/neglegance, the EMT no longer has a job and the company is bankrupt. And rightly so because they were not doing their job.

Many times, local EMS companies or volunteer fire departments welcome persons who are concerned about their medical problems to stop by and visit. Get to know the folks who will be caring for you if there is an emergency and talk to them about your concerns. This may be more difficult with larger companies but in small towns it is very possible. Who knows, you may even end up as a volunteer. :)

I remember when I was 15 years old and had my first seizure. My mom called 911 and I went to the ER, still unresponsive, by ambulance. Scared my mom to death. When I awoke in the ER, one of the first questions they asked me was "had I been drinking or taking any drugs?". Of course, I had not and was highly offended that they even thought that of me. However, now that I am on the other side of the fence as a Medic, I understand and this is one thing that I consider with seizure/altered mental status patients. I would not be doing my job correctly if I didin't. These questions are in our treatment protocols....second sentence from the top to be exact. :)

Re: patients wearing medic alert tags: I estimate that maybe 1% of the seizure patients that I see actually wears an alert bracelet or necklace. They are not that common. We sometimes recommend to folks to stick a piece of paper on their refrigerator with their name, birth date, address, meds, medical history, allergies, doctors, emergency contact info and any other pertinent info. Stick a copy in your wallet/purse and car and keep it updated.

Re: USB/computer cards with medical info....Although I would not rule out having one on my possession, I would say that most EMS services do not have the technology or time to do hook up a computer card when dealing with someone who is seizing or unresponsive.

Many good questions and comments were brought up and I surely hope that I did not offend anyone by voicing my 2 cents. By the way, EMT's and Paramedics do not like to be called "ambulance drivers". That is the same as calling your neurologist an LPN.:roflmao:

Oh, and to answer the original question, "Medic Alert Bracelets - Do you wear one?" No, I don't but I really do need to get one since I live alone and have recently had a break through.

Thought I would add this....if interested, google your state's Department of Public Health Emergency Medical Service Rules/Treatment Protocols and locate the one for seizures and altered mental status. They are usually available to the public. That will give you a heads up of what your local EMS service may be required to do in emergencies should anything happen to you and help you to be better prepared. :e:

I've only ever had 2 seizures both in my sleep, diagnosed 4 months ago..

despite this I've thought about getting one because I'm constantly worried that some day I'll be walking down the street and suddenly have a seizure and bang my head and no one will know whats going on with me..I can just hope it doesn't happen and my epilepsy is as mild as I think it is

I've only ever had 2 seizures both in my sleep, diagnosed 4 months ago..

despite this I've thought about getting one because I'm constantly worried that some day I'll be walking down the street and suddenly have a seizure and bang my head and no one will know whats going on with me..I can just hope it doesn't happen and my epilepsy is as mild as I think it is

Random, you just stated why you need to get one. Get one before something happens. My epilepsy was mild and then got worse. I wound up on the ground and cement several times.

Do not hope that it doesn't happen!! That is wrong thinking on your part. It might not happen but it happened to me. I am glad that I have a medic alert bracelet. Get one before you regret not getting one.

actually, it is getting warm, and I lost one getting dressed for a bicycle race. It is time for me to order a new one.

My 4 year old just got his first bracelet and so far, he loves it. We got one that is fabric and velcros with a little slip you put inside of it.

I'll be ordering one of these through the medic alert foundation next week when my pay comes in. So broke until then due to not being able to work!

are there small medical alert tags/stickers to be put on my little keychain metal pill holder? i carry my meds with me in case i notice i have forgotten a dose. it would be nice to bring alert to this medcation and put a small list inside in case it is ever needed.

i hate to wear any form of jewelry. i will remove it no matter what. i am curious if this started with epilepsy as it didn't bother me in my teen years.
i have just received a dog tag medical alert that states diabetes, epilepsy and my husbands cell phone number. this will be attached to my wallet which i carry always.

my complex partial seizures have either started to become worse or i have been made aware of their severity with my husband keeping a separate seizure diary. his accounts vary greatly from mine. crap. i don't remember doing any of that embarrassing stuff.

i want to wear something that shows that i'm not doing this purposefully. who knows maybe i am, but i don't remember it afterwards. talk to my brain during the event.

Thanks LylMyssChaos, I don't actually know how to use Ebay (Wobblez waits for the gasp!) but I'll keep it in mind. I've been checking out the medic alert foundation ones.

They do have what's called "File of life". They come in a set: a big magnetic one for your fridge, a wallet sized one and a sticker for your door. Around by me, the police Depts. would give them out. Look it up on-line otherwise and see. I can't say anything during a partial seizure, but I CAN give my card to someone, or at least lay it on the ground next to me if I have one.

I ordered one, wore it about a week, had a horrible seizure where I fell from an elevated height, passed out-- BROKE THE BRACELET!!! :-(

Luckily I have a friend who fixes jewlery and is mending it for me as we speak.

Back
Top Bottom