Medic Alert Bracelets - Do you wear one?

Do you wear a medical alert bracelet with information about your epilepsy/meds?

• Yes

Votes: 173 44.6%
  • No

Votes: 184 47.4%
  • I've never thought about that!

Votes: 31 8.0%

• Total voters

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

What do people here think about a smartphone wallpaper that could have important information on it instead of wearing a bracelet? Also, what type of information is usually on the bracelets?

Personally I think that looking at peoples smart phone is an intrusion of privacy. People keep their phone books, personal info, calendars etc there. If a woman were having a seizure in the street the LAST place I'd think to look is in her purse to find her phone because she'd expect me to go there to make sure she's OK.

It also means if she loses something from her purse during/after the incident, I'd be the first person suspected and rightfully so.

Recently in Canada it was even discussed as to whether a warrant covered what was on someones smart phone or if they needed a separate warrant to access that information.

Epileric

:agree:

In CA, it is against the law for even a doctor, nurse or CNA to go through someone's purse.

This is to Ruth and Deeds, REALLY? Are we really having a tit for tat about seizures? Do we not have enough doubt and questions with doctors and those who do not have seizures? This site is for us and those who care for us to be able to discuss and share, not to one up one another on who suffers more. One seizure is bad enough, a lifetime is very hard, two, ten, hundred...does it make it any easier? E sucks, we know that...now let's move on, with understanding please!

Paradise survivor,

I apologize for what I said, do you forgive me? Thank you for pointing out to me what I said that was wrong.

I try to be understanding but I am an imperfect person so sometimes I will say something that is wrong.

Just a gentle reminder...I too have said and done things I later wished I hadn't done, of course that is when I remember (lol)! You should have seen me durring my "keppra" period...I find myself still apologizing to people...oops!

Medic Alert? Revisited

Yes,
It would be nice if there was an app for I Phone, Blackberry or other smart phones. Even an I.C.E (In Case Emergency) number would be useful but, often the ICE info changes, and in my case my Blackberry locks every half hour......
Gotta trust the old Medic Alert!
A worthwhile corporation that I still support....
:clap:

Yes I wear a bracelet. Debated on getting a tattoo as well since I don't always remember to put my bracelet on. I also have ICE numbers in my phone and my phone stays unlocked when I'm not around my 2 and a half year old who knows how to find my brother's cell phone number in my phone. I have 4 ICE numbers. My parents house, both of their cell phones and my best friend's cell phone (she gets updates every time there is a change).

While to some that may seem a little extreme. In addition to the E, I have SVT, and I'm allergic to penicillin, cephalosporins, and possible erythromycin. There fore... The last thing I need in addition to having a seizure, is getting hurt from a seizure and needing antibiotics.

Also, something I've found that helps if anyone else has the same set up in their area - ALL of my doctors (pcp and ob/gyn and my shrink in the off chance I get off of my current high horse and go back) have access to the same medical info in the computer system which in my area includes our local hospital. And the nicest perk - my neurologist sends a letter to my pcp after every visit and it gets scanned into my chart. So no matter where I am dr wise everyone knows what's up.

Yes I wear a bracelet. Debated on getting a tattoo as well since I don't always remember to put my bracelet on. I also have ICE numbers in my phone and my phone stays unlocked when I'm not around my 2 and a half year old who knows how to find my brother's cell phone number in my phone. I have 4 ICE numbers. My parents house, both of their cell phones and my best friend's cell phone (she gets updates every time there is a change).

I have 3 I.C.E numbers on my mobile - my parents home number, my Neuro here & my Dads mobile. I always have my mobile with me, usually I keep it in my pocket but sometimes I might wear something with no pockets so keep my mobile phone in a little back pack type back which I take with me whenever I go out.

Last edited:
I have a hard time remembering to update the medications associated (they change so often it seems) with the medic alert dog tags but I do wear them when I am out alone (especially when hiking alone) and have them engraved indicating that I am epileptic.

I have been battling this idea- recently a close friend that is a process jewelry maker offered to make it. What needs to be on it though? I see a million variations. My one thing is ativan is required to stop them so how do I handle? Also allergic to IV contrast do I need to worry they will do that?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I subscribe through medic alert and there is a Member ID # that responders can somehow reference for information on current medications and emergency contacts Dr's info ect. My tag for example is engraved with words "epilepsy" and then my drug allergies "Ibuprofen and Naproxen".

I guess i will need to find out if I can subscribe without buying their jewelry? Sounds smart since most people don't follow my lohic of looking in my phone where I keep it all up to date

I wear mine as often as i can remember it. :)
I didn't want to buy a basic bracelet (like you can find at pharmacies).
I wanted something a little less obvious to non-EmergencyMedic peoples.

So i ended up purchasing a small idCharm from LaurensHope.
I can attach it to almost any bracelet or necklace. And i enjoy the ability to change it up.
It has my name and the word "seizures", and references a medical card which i keep in my wallet in front of my state ID.

I guess i will need to find out if I can subscribe without buying their jewelry? Sounds smart since most people don't follow my lohic of looking in my phone where I keep it all up to date

As far as I know you do have to buy the jewellery but when I used to sell jewellery I would occasionally have someone ask me to make the bracelet for the tag. You can have your friend do that if you want.

Thanks epileric. I looked at their stuff again last night and so much of it looks cheesy :(

Sassy,

Have you looked through LaurensHope?
I would love to have most of their pieces :)

To medic alert or not?

Postictally when a stranger finds you on the curb or wherever you happened to fall during a seizure, they might call 911 before you are coherent enough to have a chat. I got the most basic one, nothing fancy but there are times when it's just about safety. I got 8 staples in my head in late May, we have not had much rainfall this summer and there are still blood stains on the sidewalk.
Stay healthy,
Deeds

I keep thinking I should. And I really should . I stopped breathing the other night. I guess my body just forgot. So I woke up, jumped up and took a breath. So that is good enough reason for me to start wearing one.

I haven't been officially labeled status epileptis however I was just diagnosed officially Monday after over 100+ plus seizures this past year all of which required 1mg Ativan IM to stop. Occasionally I am able to talk however more and more I lose speech rather quickly and seem to flow in and out of some level of awareness. My motions are extremely violent and terrifying yo see. I have managed to scare and mystify doctors as my legs attempt to tun backwards and my back twists like a pretzel and I flop all over the place. I have sent nurses running when I was hospitalized. All that said- I am not sure what they will pay attention to - not that I go out alone often, I do walk around the store separate sometimes.

I took advice of The Dude and ordered my jewelry and subscription to medalert today. It should be here in 7-10 days. Realizing I am horrible about even wearing my wedding band- I will have to change my ways. Apparently my doctor can fax them the ativan order which will allow paramedics to administer it during transport vs waiting - thus reducing seizure time. I am glad I ordered it.

Back
Top Bottom