Medic Alert Bracelets - Do you wear one?

Do you wear a medical alert bracelet with information about your epilepsy/meds?

• Yes

Votes: 173 44.6%
  • No

Votes: 184 47.4%
  • I've never thought about that!

Votes: 31 8.0%

• Total voters

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

I had a MedicAlert ID when I was younger, the kind that you wear around your neck. I wore it for a while then stopped. Then a few years back I picked up another lanyard, not sure if it was the tonic-clonic seizures or the schizoaffective that triggered that purchase, but I have worn my chain since then. It's a basic, no frills chain lanyard that states I have epilepsy, I am allergic to penicillin and ceclor, and have schizoaffective disorder bipolar type. I wear it every day and do not take it off, not even to shower or sleep. I'm not sure if wearing it has any benefit, however I did have it on when I wound up in the Boston Medical Center this past December so I'm curious if that's part of how the hospital knew my meds were low...

I wear a bracelet that just says "epilepsy." When I'm out by bus I wear a card on a lanyard that says I get discount bus fare. So I put a little tag on it that has a bit of info.
I used to have that on my keys but since I carry them in my pocket that is no good.
My sister had a custom watch made that has a red-cross on it and medical info. Including emergency contact info. on the back.
I was wearing that twice last year when I had to go to the emergency room. Neither time did anyone pay attention to it. So when it needed a new battery I just stopped wearing it.
Back when my seizures were really bad I made my own card with a lot of info. laminated it and wore it on a lanyard.
Does anyone remember when the VNS magnets had had a pattern on them?
It was supposed to mean something to emergency res-ponders But (I suppose) since most of then don't know what a VNS is the new ones don't have that pattern.

Has anyone noticed that the Medic Alert website seems to be down for upgrades? I've tried to go in now for the past few days to put in my latest med updates and have not been able too, very frustrating. Need to add my new dose of Topamax and lower the dose of Depakote and make sure everything else is as it should be.

My daughter wears a simple black kinda rubbery one that says Epileptic and carries a card with contact details in her bag. She can slide it up her arm a little for discretion and if she feels 'odd' at all slip it down to her wrist. She said she doesn't want all and sundry knowing about her condition unless they need to.

My daughter wears a simple black kinda rubbery one that says Epileptic and carries a card with contact details in her bag. She can slide it up her arm a little for discretion and if she feels 'odd' at all slip it down to her wrist. She said she doesn't want all and sundry knowing about her condition unless they need to.

Personally I don't care who knows that I have epilepsy. I try to spread the word when I'm out. Of course after almost dying things like that that just don't bother me like they used to.

I have worn one for a while now. I had it engraved with my name and the list of AEDs that I'm allergic to.

Off and on. I used to wear one all the time - for 10 or so years - when I was having hundreds of seizures a day and couldn't get controlled. Then I stopped. I recently updated my bracelet and info and I'm back to wearing it again.

Back
Top Bottom