medical alert jewelry

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

BlueCat

New
Reaction score
Do you wear a bracelet or necklace and what alert information do you include? I am trying to avoid getting one of those giant "EPILEPSY" ones, but want to make sure anything important (eg meds) is included, but don't know what's customary.

I was thinking of getting one of the ones that cyclists wear because its updateable information.... i can't for the life of me remember what it is called though. I think maybe it was called roadwear maybe? it is a plastic braclet with a metal placard with your info like name phone number and then the parmeedics have a code they can call to get the rest of your info.appartently the paramedics really really like it.

Tina

Thank you both. I couldn't really do the biker one, work in a private bank, wouldn't go too well with the suit. The 800# one sounds interesting. More research to do...

Here is their site for the USA http://www.medicalert.org/services

And here is the site for Canada http://www.medicalert.ca/

Hope that helps your research. There is an annual fee but I think it's well worth it to have what is basically your own answering service for the doctor should it be needed.

There should be a 1-800 number for more info. I know there is on Canadas site

I've been wearing a medic alert bracelet since my seizures returned in 2002, the one I have is through the Australian medic alert foundation. On the outside it says Medic Alert & has the medical symbol. Inside the bracelet it says what medical condition I have, has the medic alert foundations contact number & my registration number.
The medic alert bracelet also comes with a card with your info eg your name, address, drs contact detail, emergency contact details, any allergies, what meds you are on etc.
I have 2 of these, 1 which I keep in my purse & the other I keep in a pocket in my mobile phone case.

My epilepsy has been pretty well under control for the last 3 years but I still rather wear the bracelet because I'm used to it & you never know when you might have a seizure again.

Last edited:
It's kind of funny that this was brought up because my husband and I went shopping at a jewelry store for a one today. I've been wearing one for about 8 years but it needs to be updated. They didn't have one in the store that I liked so they are going to order in a few others for me to look at. They all have the Medic Alert symbol on them.

I have some questions about how to put things on it -

On the front I'm going to put my name (should I put my first and last?)

On the back I'm going to put in three lines:
VNS Implant
No MRI
Allergic to Dilantin

Does that sound like a good way to have things engraved on it or would you recommend something else?

Thanks!

I have some questions about how to put things on it -

On the front I'm going to put my name (should I put my first and last?)

On the back I'm going to put in three lines:
VNS Implant
No MRI
Allergic to Dilantin

Does that sound like a good way to have things engraved on it or would you recommend something else?

Thanks!

If it's a real Medic Alert bracelet then you can only engrave on one side because the other side has their logo on it. Check the pictures of bracelets on this link. Also, if it's a real Medic Alert bracelet then your name is going to be associated with your medic alert number that the doctor gives them so I see no reason for that. Besides, if you convulse in an emergency they don't need to know your name, it's your medical issues that are important. I personally don't like advertising to strangers what my name is, there are enough people out there that would come up to you & call you by name swearing that they know you and either ask for a loan, swear that you owe them money or something along those lines.

What you want on the back looks great to me. Should you be unconscious or can't communicate it is exactly what the paramedics would need to know. Personally I don't think you should have to say No MRI as that should be assumed because of the VNS and it should be mentioned in your file when the doctor phones Medic Alert, but it might be a good idea to be safe.

Last edited:
I have a MedicAlert bracelet. On the back it states I have: Vagus Nerve Stimulator, Diabetes, Epilepsy. Under this info is the case#. I also have a MedicAlert card that has all my personal info: Allergic to Phenobarbitol, name, address, phone#, who to contact, doctors, medical problems, medications, and no MRI unless the VNS is turned off.
Here is the one I wear:

Attachments

• A704_BYO_17.jpg
    A704_BYO_17.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 10
I have a necklace.

1-800 number on it
It says I have allergic bronchitis
Epilepsy
I need one with more info I also have AFIB allergic toCT contrast I stop breathing.

Thanks for the review on Road ID yes thats the one I was thinking of I still have not bought it yet. I always have my cell phone on me with ICE-my husbands cell number and name so they can call my employer has his cell number, I always have an insurance card and an a picture ID also. They are kept on my key chain.

Tina

I have a MedicAlert bracelet. On the back it states I have: Vagus Nerve Stimulator, Diabetes, Epilepsy. Under this info is the case#. I also have a MedicAlert card that has all my personal info: Allergic to Phenobarbitol, name, address, phone#, who to contact, doctors, medical problems, medications, and no MRI unless the VNS is turned off.
Here is the one I wear:

Thank you so much Cint. I just went to their site and read and read. I believe I will getting this service. The advanced one is what I am interested in and you can do the yearly payments which helps me since I'm on disability. I am going to call them as I have a few questions but I really like the program. Again, thanks!

I wear a bracelet and you barely notice it

When I began shopping for a medical bracelet, like you, I didn't want the bracelet to scream "EPILEPSY!!" and it was quite embarrassing. I shopped around and found a nice little website, n-styleid.com, that makes "Medical Alert Jewelry" its much more discreet and there are so many style to choose from. I'm very happy with mine because its fashionable but when the time comes, it will have all the information needed to help aid me.

I got my necklace from Medical-ID (something like that), and it nice and discreet. Going to get a bracelet too as I can't wear it with some of my suits and the jewelry that goes with them. Thanks for all the ideas/responses everyone.

I am also very happy with my bracelet. it is mellow looking.

Back
Top Bottom