Medical marijuana and epilepsy

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Talked to a gentleman the other day who self-medicated with marijuana. Any time he felt a simple-partial, he would smoke. It stopped him from having T/C seizures, at least he says. I would not use, but support the legalization of marijuana.

Nicotine similar? to marijuana????

I know we are talking about something different but nicotine has helped my epilepsy as where it is absorbed in the brain is where my seizures start therfore neutralizes it I believe. I am still fitting everyday but they have reduced slightly. I am on an electric fag so not going to harm me. My professor used nicotine patches on my family members with same epilepsy as me. so i am wondering if what you are saying could perhaps have the same theory???? xx

don't make a jumpstart and go cold turkey off your epilepsy meds, make sure you taper off.. but most importantly i'm no doctor and you should probably discuss this with a doctor, and a good one, not one paid off by fancy companies like the ones in just about every anti-medical pot state.

Never go cold turkey off your AED! One could go Status if you do that.

IMHO, one should always discuss this with an epilepsy dr. and not just those in an anti-medical pot state. Even in the pro-pot state, like here in Colorado, it needs to be discussed.

And FYC, here is a Colorado marijuana guide:

http://www.reporterherald.com/news/...4-answers-commonly-asked-questions?source=rss

Well as an addict; I fought for a long time arguing that cigarettes are helping me but at last i did discover that you can try to rationalize it but tobacco is bad for the brain and the lungs etc. Not so with pot. Pot is not for everyone but i do know of real advantages to it. I do not want it but , IMHO you can not compare with Cigs as an aid.

I know we are talking about something different but nicotine has helped my epilepsy as where it is absorbed in the brain is where my seizures start therfore neutralizes it I believe. I am still fitting everyday but they have reduced slightly. I am on an electric fag so not going to harm me. My professor used nicotine patches on my family members with same epilepsy as me. so i am wondering if what you are saying could perhaps have the same theory???? xx

I've never been a nicotine user myself, but this is what I did find on the subject. We all do know the tobacco that is found in cigarettes is not good for one's health, don't we? You were specifically speaking of nicotine, right?:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicotine

However, in a few situations, smoking has been observed to be of therapeutic value. These are often referred to as "Smoker’s Paradoxes". Although in most cases the actual mechanism is understood only poorly or not at all, it is generally believed that the principal beneficial action is due to the nicotine administered, and that administration of nicotine without smoking may be as beneficial as smoking, without the higher risk to health due to tar and other substances found in tobacco.

Nicotine reduces the chance of preeclampsia, and atopic disorders such as allergic asthma. A plausible mechanism of action in these cases may be nicotine acting as an anti-inflammatory agent, and interfering with the inflammation-related disease process, as nicotine has vasoconstrictive effects.

Tobacco smoke has been shown to contain compounds capable of inhibiting monoamine oxidase, which is responsible for the degradation of dopamine in the human brain. When dopamine is broken down by MAO-B, neurotoxic by-products are formed, possibly contributing to Parkinson's and Alzheimers disease.

Many such papers regarding Alzheimer's disease and Parkinson's Disease have been published. While tobacco smoking is associated with an increased risk of Alzheimer's disease, there is evidence that nicotine itself has the potential to prevent and treat Alzheimer's disease. Nicotine has been shown to delay the onset of Parkinson's disease in studies involving monkeys and humans. A study has shown a protective effect of nicotine itself on neurons due to nicotine activation of α7-nAChR and the PI3K/Akt pathway which inhibits apoptosis-inducing factor release and mitochondrial translocation, cytochrome c release and caspase 3 activation.

Studies have indicated that nicotine can be used to help adults suffering from autosomal dominant nocturnal frontal lobe epilepsy. The same areas that cause seizures in that form of epilepsy are responsible for processing nicotine in the brain.

Studies suggest a correlation between smoking and schizophrenia, with estimates near 75% for the proportion of schizophrenic patients who smoke. Although the nature of this association remains unclear, it has been argued that the increased level of smoking in schizophrenia may be due to a desire to self-medicate with nicotine. Other research found that mildly dependent users got some benefit from nicotine, but not those who were highly dependent.

Research at Duke University Medical Center found that nicotine may improve the symptoms of depression. Nicotine appears to improve ADHD symptoms. Some studies have focused on benefits of nicotine therapy in adults with ADHD.

While acute/initial nicotine intake causes activation of nicotine receptors, chronic low doses of nicotine use leads to desensitisation of nicotine receptors (due to the development of tolerance) and results in an antidepressant effect, with research showing low dose nicotine patches being an effective treatment of major depressive disorder in non-smokers.

Yep :) thats the epilepsy I have, its drug resistant and a real evil little shit!!! I had less seizures when I smoked it was great I used to feel slightly human (an experience I only felt for 18 months of my life) xx

ps, I am now on an electric cigarette therfor pure nicotine and no harmful ingredients :D x

I do not want to rain on any parades ; I just have lots less seizures now and last time I quit (10 years then)

Well that is great that u have less :) Do you suffer from ADNFLE then? if not then that could explain why nicotine has not helped your seizures, as my prof says that it is only useful (sometimes) in ADNFLE x

I'm no teetotaler, but I understand the viewpoint. I'm not sure why getting high is thought to be such a 'bad thing' as a side effect, except for children. The relaxation destresses me, and extreme stress is a big-time trigger. By the way, I'm also a Colorado resident. You'd be amazed at how little furor is being created here over the issue. The biggest problem is, as someone said, supply. I haven't bought any yet and may or may not, but I do find it interesting that when they show the lines at the retail outlets stretching around the block you don't see mobs of obvious stoners acting like a--holes. You see normal folks who look like your friends and neighbors just standing in line being polite. The overdemand and novelty of the thing will wear off and even out.

I also believe that the black market will continue as before and that no more or no fewer people will be users, retail or not. It's the Marijuana Toristas who will be the most annoying pain in the potato.

If they think that they'll just come waltzing into the state, pick up some weed, and go back to their hotel and smoke their brains out and go out for more, they have a rude awakening coming. Most motels/hotels are now no smoking in Colorado and they don't care just what it is you're smoking. The police will be especially vigilant in the 'driving while stoned' area of the law.

Remember, this is an experiment, and unintended consequences are a natural part thereof. I voted for it just so we could keep from wasting so much money filling our jails and prisons with minorities (yes, it's provable) and even bank a bit of cash for the state so that our infrastructure can be maintained. Bad bridges are MUCH worse than good pot.

Back
Top Bottom