Medication Effects versus Post-ictal State

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
i have complex partial temporal lobe epilepsy. Sometimes I have simple partials as well. I also have period of post-ictal fatigue, envy depletion, flat affect, monotoned speech, etc. I seem to have something very similar when I increase my medication dosage. And sometimes I'm not aware of having a sz but have these symptoms nor have I changed my medication or its dose.

Does anyone else have trouble figuring out which is which: medication reaction v post-ictal?

I had a hard time figuring it out, but it comes down to how much soreness I have and how "loopy" I am.

Usually during my postictal state, I'll feel like I sprinted a marathon, have a splitting headache, and feel like a zombie (just want to fall onto my bed and pass out). Medication side effects on the other hand just make me a little groggy, and if I experience any pain, it's not muscle burning pain.

I have complex and simple partials. I'm assuming by your description you have tonic-clinics. Anyone else have complex partials and have figure out how to differentiate post ictal from medication effects?

I have complex and simple partials.
Simple partials are often an "aura" to a complex partial seizure. I have Cps, too and for me the SP is actually an 'aura'. I feel lightheaded and am suddenly unable to speak. So when I can no longer speak, I know I am going into a CP, after in a CP, I cannot remember a thing that was said to me. People have told me that I just stare at them with a "blank stare" and smack my lips like I was chewing something. Nothing that's said to me is comprehended for a few moments.

Anyone else have complex partials and have figure out how to differentiate post ictal from medication effects?

When I come out of the CP seizure, it takes me about 15-20 minutes before I can begin to speak again and completely understand what is being said to me. It feels TOTALLY different than the effects of meds. The meds do make me sleepy and I tire easily, but the post-ictal feeling is EXHAUSTION and CONFUSION for a little while.

Back
Top Bottom