Medication - what would you do?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

gnault

New
Reaction score
Last fall I was switched from Lamotrigine to Vimpat to try and sort of side effect concerns (memory, cognitive function, sleep, etc). I don't think I have found much difference looking back from now to last October. I am fully controlled and was fully controlled on Lamotrigine. I am spending 3 times the amount I spent on a three month supply of Lamotrigine on one a month supply of Vimpat. I'm thinking about asking for a different medication that doesn't cost so much. I know my wife doesn't want me on the Lamotrigine due to the mood regulation. I'm also wondering if the emotion regulation has anything to do with where the lesions on my right temporal lobe are? Carbamazepine seemed to work fine but my therapeutic levels were out of whack and electrolytes where not staying fully stable on carbamazepine. I guess there are other meds that aren't as expensive as zimpat that will work and not cost so much.

Gilles
:e:

Neurologists are supposed to be mindful of cost when prescribing meds -- it's considered a "side effect" of sorts. So if that particular side effect of the Vimpat is problematic, then go ahead and ask your neuro for other options to consider.

Hi gnault,

I have found that taking vimpat has helped me but it's very expensive. I've found that using the medical marijuana has been the best help reducing my seizures in the 45 yrs. I've had them. I have right temporal lobe epilepsy and according to both my Epileptologist and neuropsychologist they have both told me that it's the lesion on the right temporal lobe that causes me to be so emotional. You may want to try taking vitamin B12 1000 mcg. once a day also that's been a big help reducing my seizures also. I wish you the best of luck and May God Bless You!

Sue

Back
Top Bottom