ChatGPT: Medications with the worst side effects

Highlights thread as a discussion with ChatGPT

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

valeriedl

VIP
Supporter
Reaction score
What are the top 10 epilepsy medications with the worst side effects?

There are a variety of epilepsy medications available that can be effective in controlling seizures. However, like most medications, they can have side effects. Here are 10 epilepsy medications that are known to have some of the worst side effects:

1. Valproic acid: This is a commonly used medication for epilepsy, but it has a number of side effects, including weight gain, hair loss, and liver toxicity.

2. Felbamate: This medication is used for severe epilepsy and can cause serious liver and bone marrow problems, as well as a rare but life-threatening condition called aplastic anemia.

3. Topiramate: Topiramate can cause weight loss, but it can also cause cognitive problems, such as difficulty concentrating, memory loss, and language problems.

4. Phenobarbital: This medication has been used for a long time to treat seizures, but it can cause drowsiness and dependence, as well as cognitive and memory problems.

5. Primidone: Similar to Phenobarbital, Primidone can cause a lot of side effects such as brain fog, fatigue, dizziness, and nervousness.

6. Zonisamide: Zonisamide is another epilepsy medication that can cause cognitive problems, including confusion, memory loss, and difficulty finding words.

7. Lamotrigine: Although generally regarded as a relatively safe medication, lamotrigine can cause a potentially life-threatening rash called Stevens-Johnson Syndrome.

8. Oxcarbazepine: This medication can cause a range of side effects, including dizziness, headaches, and skin rashes.

9. Carbamazepine: This medication has many side-effects including drowsiness, cognitive problems, as well as a rare but serious condition called Stevens-Johnson Syndrome.

10. Rufinamide: Rufinamide can cause headaches, dizziness, and fatigue, as well as hearing and vision problems.

Keep in mind that the side effects of epilepsy medications can vary depending on the individual and the dosage they are taking. It is important to discuss any potential side effects with a doctor before starting any medication.

Keep in mind that the side effects of epilepsy medications can vary depending on the individual and the dosage they are taking. It is important to discuss any potential side effects with a doctor before starting any medication.
Agreed. For instance, my Mom is on Lamotrigine:and has no problems with it, my late Father was on Zonisamide and had no issues. I however was on Zonisamide and had cognitive issues like mad. I was on a much higher dosage though of course. Now my cognitive issues are my own pretty much, meds aren't to blame is what I am told :)
Interested that you didn't add Keppra nor Depakote to the list, but then you had only ten to choose, right?
They're ALL poison, just like they taught us in School ALL meds are poison. Just necessary poison, and we each are different in our tolerances, seems to me.

Last edited:
Agreed. For instance, my Mom is on Lamogratine and has no problems with it, my late Father was on Zonisamide and had no issues. I however was on Zonisamide and had cognitive issues like mad. I was on a much higher dosage though of course. Now my cognitive issues are my own pretty much, meds aren't to blame is what I am told :)
Yes, it's important to remember that everyone is different and may react differently to medication. Dosage levels and individual factors can also impact the severity of side effects. It's always a good idea to discuss any concerns or questions about medication with a doctor or healthcare professional, who can provide personalized advice based on your specific needs and medical history.

Back
Top Bottom