medications

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
hi all, just wanted to know a bit more about tegretrol retard and who else is on this? it would be nice to hear from you!!
and allso lamotrigine i think ive spelt it right im not sure? what does it actually do and how do people find it and does is there side effects etc?
it would be nice to hear from amy of you, as my neuro is thinking about putting me on lamotrigine but not sure when!!
thankyou for taking time in reading this speak soon
from kitty x

hi bernard, thankyou very much for that info and has helped cheers!!
take care from kitty

Hi Kitty,
I was on Tegretol 400 XR up until very recently and am on lamotrigine in addition to others at present. For many years Tegretol was very effective and when it was put on lamotrigine it helped tremendously. Everyone's system reacts differently to various meds, but lamotrigine works well for me.

Tegretol was the first AED that my daughter was on. I caused quite severe blurred vision. It was connected somehow with the seizure activity. So it wasn't constant but it occurred from 30 min to 2 days at a time.
Her third AED was Lamictal, and it cause body aches which were unbearable, a fever, and a sore throat, fatigue as well.
Now she is trying Trileptal which is a version of Tegretol.
I never tell her the side effects before hand, but let her tell me how she feels. She is only on 1/2 a pill for two days, and she is dealing with a bit of brain fog already.

There is an article that I have found interesting. Please tell me what you think.

Patients with epilepsy may suffer from renal or hepatic diseases that interfere with their antiepileptic drug (AED) treatment. Furthermore, such diseases may themselves cause seizures. Reduced renal function and hypoalbuminemia lead to accumulation of renally excreted AEDs, such as gabapentin, vigabatrin, topiramate, levetiracetam, and phenytoin. Valproate, lamotrigine, and benzodiazepines are less affected. Low protein-bound AEDs are extensively removed by hemodialysis and supplemental doses are required for dialysis patients. Uremia and related conditions, including intracranial hemorrhage, glucose and electrolyte imbalances, and concomitant drug use, can cause seizures, as can dialysis encephalopathy, primary cerebral lymphoma, fungal infections, and immunosuppressant toxicity in renal transplant recipients. Hepatic dysfunction reduces enzymatic metabolism of AEDs and causes hypoalbuminemia. Gabapentin, topiramate, and levetiracetam are preferred in these conditions, whereas conversely valproate and felbamate are potentially hepatotoxic and should be avoided. Seizures related to hepatic encephalopathy are controlled by oral lactulose or neomycin. Porphyria sufferers may benefit from gabapentin, oxcarbazepine, or levetiracetam. Seizures in Wilson's disease may derive from d-penicillamine-induced pyridoxine deficiency. Effective treatment of seizures in renal and hepatic diseases requires attention to changes in AED pharmacokinetics and adequate care of the underlying illnesses. Monitoring of free drug concentrations is a valuable aid to therapy.
PMID: 17190918 (PubMed - indexed for Medline)

I had trouble with tegretol, I was anemic and when it was mixed with mysoline I was super aggressive and I had memory problems,I learned to grind my teeth on tegretol and had to get a bite plate. I also had headaches .

But I know lots of pple who never had the problems I did , each person is different.

You never know

Riva

Don't say that "T" word around
me!! Arrrrggghhh! That's the second
AED on my allergy list, and the next
one Trileptal (which is Tegretol with
oxygen) is right next door!

It works wonders for many, but it
ain't for me! I'd rather date Freddy
Kruger or Jason than going out with
Tegretol or Trileptal!

:soap:

Yes, I am a bit afraid of this one as it is so closely related to Tegretol. Rebecca had such vision loss with that one that she had to have an aid at school. Not the way to begin HS.
I have not told her of the side effects of this one, and am waiting to see what will be. So far the body aches that occurred with Lamictal have not completely worn off. Stamina is not good, but I am looking at other alternatives to possibly add to help with this.

Same for me Sharon. Tegretol is the second med I am allergic too and those horrible red sores I got all over !!!!!! Ech!!!!!!!!!!

First med is dialantin . I had these horrible red sores all over I looked like a raspberry or strawberry!!!!!!

Riva

I am taking tegretol 400 for about 11 years,3 pills a day so 1.200 mgs. But I feel very tired and also have some vision problems, but my seizures are much better.
I am taking folic acid and I am feeling better, I have never been on tegretol retard.

Yes, Lyrica is pregabalin, it is used in epilepsy and other disorders like pain,it is chronic pain cuased in nerves, for example in herpes zoster and its neuralgia posherpentica and strong pains in nerves.I have a friend who has a discal hernia (I hope it is the right word?) and first was taking topamax, but now lyrica.It is not used as a "single" medication, always in combination with other drugs.

All I know about lamotrigine is that my neurologist was thinking of changing me onto it, but kept me on topiramate (topamax) as we are thinking of having children.

It seems lamotrigine causes cleft palates in babies if taken in the first trimester. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lamotrigine

I took lycria as a add on and it controlled my szs. I put on 10 lbs. ,can't remeber if I had memory loss or not. If so it wasn't so bad. I didn't find it a bad drug to take at all.

I didn't find lycria a tough med.

Riva

I am not sure what I hate more... the seizures or the medication.

We are only on 1/2 a pill of Trileptal and already it is affecting her. She is just never herself. She continues to have overall body aches, with difficulty getting out of bed. That is not my daughter. She loves her skating and loves her school.

I just feel so bad for her.

Yes... I guess I hadn't thought of that possibility this morning.

Back
Top Bottom