meds vs.seizures

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
i am on 6 aeds and still having multiple seizures a day and really bad memory loss worst than ever wondering if this is normal amount of seizure medication just throwin numbers out there im hatin it im only 29 and its been a really really bad beginning to the year and i have had the some bad years in the past.im on 3000mg of keppra, 800mg lamictal, 350mg of topamax,phenobarbital100mg,ativan,1mg,vimpat200mg and take a anti deppresant tooo much to me any suggestions!!!

When I was first diagnosed with epilepsy in 2003 when I was 27. They messed around with my meds for years. I was put on many different kinds and many different dosages. Some made things worse, some made things better and some did nothing at all for me.

My neuro suggested I get a VNS, which I did in 2007. I'm still having seizures and taking meds but it has helped a good bit. I'm having less seizures, down from about 5 a week to around 4 a month, and I'm not taking as high of dosages of meds that I did before I got it. I don't think I was ever on an anti deppresant.

That is alot of meds to be on.

i am on 6 aeds and still having multiple seizures a day and really bad memory loss worst than ever wondering if this is normal amount of seizure medication just throwin numbers out there im hatin it im only 29 and its been a really really bad beginning to the year and i have had the some bad years in the past.im on 3000mg of keppra, 800mg lamictal, 350mg of topamax,phenobarbital100mg,ativan,1mg,vimpat200mg and take a anti deppresant tooo much to me any suggestions!!!

No, this is not a normal amount of seizure medication to be on. The amount of meds you mention is very TOXIC! And that could add to your seizures + bad memory. I suggest you see another dr.

that's what i have been telling my dr. he just tells me we are running out of options well what does he want me to tell him he is suppose to be the expert i dont know at this point its been about a yr like this i keep asking to go down but he wants to up them seizure control he says i think its too much so does my family and friends.

that def seems alot of medication ... :/ i work in a pharmacy and ive never seen someone on that much medication ....

I agree way too much meds. It never hurts to get a second opinion. I know every doctor is different. After my fist seizure the first neuro put me on dilantin. It did'nt do anything to stop them. He didn't want to see me and had no desire to change anything. I dropped him and found my current neuro who changed my meds and was willing to try different meds and treatment options. I have''nt had a tc in of 15 years. If I had stayed with the first neuro I don't think I'd be where I am today.

Yeah, that is way too much. He should be trying different combinations instead of piling another one on top every time your medications are found to be ineffective. I'm on three different meds (Tegretol, Lamictal, and Keppra), and my doctor thinks that's too much (and so do I) and now that my seizures are under control he wants to start weaning me off Tegretol.

acpollard... WAY too many.
-Have at any point your docs talked about surgery (usually discussed after three AED's don't work).
-Has anyone referred you to an Epilepsy Centre (again, after 3 don't work it should be out of a neuro's hands and into an epileptologist's).
-Have they talked about getting down to business with the numbers - how many breakthroughs on which meds? - and then get off all the ones that allowed breakthroughs (ie: I had two grand mals on topamax and my (new) epileptologist said 'it's gone starting now.')

Being on six is ludicrous, and if it weren't for the combo in your system w/all their different side effects, etc., you likely wouldn't need the antidepressant. They need to get their heads out of their asses and stop just adding on, you don't have to live like this.

-Have at any point your docs talked about surgery (usually discussed after three AED's don't work).

Being on six is ludicrous, and if it weren't for the combo in your system w/all their different side effects, etc., you likely wouldn't need the antidepressant.

Surgery isn't always the answer, either. And for some, it makes seizures and depression worse, therefore needing anti-depressants and more AED's.

But I do agree, have you been to an epileptologist and a neuropsychiatrist?

Im tryin to find both but epileptologists are hard to come by and neuropsychiatrists he is suppose to refer me cause he thinks I also have non epileptic one as well.surgery is no go is have it all over the brain not a certain spot or done wish I didnt have e had a bunch of seizures yesterday called em no response hmm.i go to one of best neurology in tgis state vut there has to be better always to busy for me and I have appt in april I think I might tell him to start over or im out my body cant do it feels like its fallin apart piece by piece nobodies guniepig

there has to be better always to busy for me and I have appt in april I think I might tell him to start over or im out my body cant do it feels like its fallin apart piece by piece nobodies guniepig

:agree: You are nobodies guinea pig! When you go back to your dr. in April, tell him how you feel. You would like to start over. Bring someone along with you to that appt.

Back
Top Bottom