Melatonin

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Eli

Stalwart
Reaction score
The drs in CA said my ANA test indicted that I was positive for an autoimmune disorder so they ordered additional tests. I moved and didn't follow up with it until this month. I have a copy of my old test results and saw a local dr. She said the additional tests came back negative but ordered new bloodwork. The other stuff was almost a year old. I go in next week for the bloodwork. She seems to have some experience with people with E. But overall she thinks I am fine and that the symptoms I have are related to E and my E meds...

:woot: :woot: :woot: <-- I'm happy!

She said I could start taking melatonin to help me sleep. I guess if you have an autoimmune disorder you're not supposed to take it or be careful? The first night I took it was incredible and I had fun dreams! I think it is helping me. Anyone else take it to help with sleep?

I have taken it before and Yes the dreams are wonderful. I hope it works for you.

I take it now. Ive been taking it since January and its helped me sleep alot better at night. I first started out on 3mgs a night, then after awhile my body got use to it, so Ive increased it to 4.5mgs. (1.5 pills each night)

I took this last night for the 1st. time in many years. (Tried it once before)

I got the best sleep for about a month. I didn't dream, just go old sleep.

I was using Magnesium 250mg, that wasn't enough so I tried 1 1/2 tablet, this felt me feeling druged the next day. so I tried 1 1/4 tablet but I got very little sleep. When I did sleep --taking Magnesium I would dream someone died each night--Horrible.

I purchased yesterday after reading about it on this forum.

Sometimes it works amazing for me, other times it does nothing, or I may fall asleep easily but have a hard time staying asleep. I can't remember what type of dreams I was having though :(

My daughter has taken melatonin occasionally to help her sleep since her neurologist recommended it for jet lag. But just this week on Dr. Oz they said that high doses that many people take are dangerous to sleep. Here is some of the article on the Dr. Oz website (found when I googled "Dr Oz Melatonin"):

The correct dosage of melatonin can be a problem. According to research conducted at MIT, the correct dosage of melatonin for it to be effective is 0.3 - 1.0 mg. Many commercially available forms of melatonin are in 3 to 10 times the amount your body would need. In fact, there is some evidence that higher doses may be less effective. In Europe, melatonin at very high doses has been used as a contraceptive.

Melatonin can have side effects. Doses of melatonin (2-3 mg or higher) have reported side effects of:

Headaches
Nausea
Next-day grogginess
Hormone fluctuations
Vivid dreams and nightmares

The entire article is at doctoroz.com and is titled "Melatonin: Not a Magic Bullet for Sleep"

Last edited:
you can't get it in uk we not allowed think for ourselves if want it or not, i would like have that choise so anyone going to states i get them bring some back for me,alas it done squwat for me..so i just read these posts going try it again tonight....i am told the correct and best form of melatonin is in your urine and drink glass of that every morning,i afraid hell freeze over before i do that

When I took a whole tablet of emulation after three days straight, I started feeling like I was going to have a seizure, so I cut that tablet into halfs, tried that. I added 1/2 tablet of ibuprofen, tried these two
Then I added Magnesium I cut a tablet into little pieces, one tablet last me for 7 days.

I don't seem to be able to take a lot of anything, so I have to play with it till I finally found what worked for me.

The tablets I bought for my daughter are 3 mg, I think I will tell her to cut them in half from now on. The other important point about melatonin in the article is that it is meant to be a body clock regulator, not a sleep initiator. It's good for shift workers who need to change the time they sleep, and not so much help for insomnia. My daughter does think it works for her when she needs it though.

I love Dr Oz, watch his show and would love to see him in person. I've never tried Melatonin. I heard something the other day at work that was disturbing though.

This woman was buying some Melatonin & I thought it was for her so asked if it worked. She said she was getting it for her daughter who was with her and looked to be maybe 11 years old. So naturally I thought her doctor recommended it to help her sleep but that wasn't the case at all. She was buying it simply because her daughter liked to stay up all hours and this knocked her out.

She wasn't buying it to help her sleep, she was buying it to knock her out so she wouldn't stay up all night. What the hell? Whatever happened to disciplining a child and teaching them about curfews and bed times? Drugging your child so she won't stay up, that's wrong on many levels.

I take Melatonin. I have horrible issues both falling asleep and staying asleep. The Melatonin really helps me fall asleep easier, and it seems like when I do wake up I can go back to sleep easier. I feel like it helps.

you know your body naturally produces it thats why you get immune to it after awhile,i was going to take it for sleep.

Yes, I use it. Only when I am not sleepy and need to get up in the am. Like I would like it now as I am trying to not stay up late. I have some good stuff from the local coop. I read that it is not regulated so you do not know how much melatonin is in each tab. Sometimes the more expensive is worth it. I take .5 mg and it puts me out. I also read it is helpful for depression. I researched it quite a bit before because my young child had such a hard time sleeping. I found no worries about it.

Back
Top Bottom