Memory loss

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Is it normal to have memory loss with epilepsy even though im not on meds? its so scary, i couold be doing something or so,e1 wil tell me something and i will of forgot all about it or not remember when someone reminds me! any comments would be really appreciated

I often forget things right after people tell me.. at work I'm always writing things down. Sometimes I wonder how I still have a job..

I'm not sure if it's the medication or the epilepsy, or maybe it's a combination of both. Sorry I can't say definitively.

thanks chris, i used to have a bad memory before all of this but i dont know if im looking too deep or not. or its just because i'm not paying much attention. people think im forgetting on purpose but im not i cant help it.

I can relate to that.. people get frustrated with my lack of memory, but do they think of how I feel about it..

its so frustrating isnt it? people often say they get sick of telling me things over and over again but i'm the one thats sick n fed up now because people think im just doing it but im not.

I know how you feel, I do forget things especially when I am having seizures or in a stressful situation. Even the seizures can make your memory worse, are your seizures all under control so that you dont have to take any med's? I think its just one of those things that knowone is ever going to understand unless they have been there themselves.

yep, count me as one who has poor memory now because of epilepsy. I have issues with both long term and short term memory.

Yeah im not taling any meds nd dont have seizures. I had a bad memory to start with. Long term in ok with. Its recent things like what i done 5 mins ago. People think im joking when i say i cant remember but im not. I just dont know what to do anymore.

I too have memory loss, not sure if it is from my brain lesion or seizures? I don't remember anything, I too don't remember what people tell me. I am vimpat and Gabapentin and plus alot of other meds. I have multiple sclerosis and that is the problem so it could be that or many other things, but can totally relate to having memory problems.

Its just so frustrating because people thibk im just saying it but im not. I just dont know what to do. I can remeber words from songs even when i ai t herd them for months bt i can be doing somethin n then nt remeber somethin else.

Interesting that you mentioned the song lyrics.. after a tc, in the post ictal stage, I can still hear music in my head, even though I don't know where I am or who I am. But I recognize the song. I always have a song in my head, every waking moment. Funny how that doesn't change during the post ictal.

I had a scary memory loss moment yesterday.. I thought I lost a very important laptop computer at work. I had no idea where it was, I thought it was stolen because I was certain it was in the closet when I last saw it.

After freaking out for a few hours, I asked someone who just came in if they knew where it was. They told me.. it's in the other office, remember you were using it there all day Friday..

I sure look stupid when that happens..

Thats funny i always have a song in my head. The song will come on radio i will sing aling. My dad can mention something and im like i cant remember bt can always remeber music its weird.

I haven't been officially diagnosed with epilepsy, and I'm not on any medications, but I can tell you that I experience memory loss. Short-term memory loss, mostly.

The short-term memory loss is most apparent at work. Sometimes I've not followed-up on customers' requests because I completely forgot they called. One time I talked to a customer for 20 minutes, finished the conversation while promising to get them a quote, then I go to the bathroom. Half an hour later my boss asks why I didn't call the customer back. I could not for the life of me remember talking to the customer at all, but I did. I couldn't remember going to the bathroom.

I think you'll learn to cope with memory loss. I'm slowly learning to cope with it myself. I carry a notepad around with me everywhere. I have one in my purse, one on every desk in the house, one at work and one in the car. If I think something's important I write it down. This is helpful for people even without chronic conditions involving memory loss. Since I've started religiously writing things down I've become less stressed about the memory loss, although I still would prefer not to have it.

Haha! I know exactly what you mean...believe me. I feel the same way as I am always asking people to repeat themselves and I have to write the simplest tasks/instructions on paper. Some of my co-workers have questioned me as to why I need to write everything down and that I am wasting time as it's a very simple task. And I am thinking...for you obviously... These comments make me feel like a knucklehead so I give them the seizures/meds story hoping they will understand and think twice before commenting/insulting others. I try so hard to pay attention and remember as I used to have a great memory but certain info is gone in a split second and sometimes I write numbers backwards or leave out words etc. Alot of people are after saying to me, "you don't listen", after I have asked about a task which was quickly forgotten....this is just one example which REALLY irritates me and makes me feel so little. Oh well, have to deal with the ignorance I guess and keep giving new people the story of how I am prone to seizures and along with meds which control my seizures most of the time also causes my short term memory to be horrible. And in turn I have to write everything down and sorry to be a bother....I can imagine others can relate. Then people/managers question whether or not you are capable of doing your job! Some people are so negative and ignorant. They can't see the positive and be helpful and kind. So I have to try my hardest to screen who I ask for help and manage the best way I can. It has made me more understanding of others, that's for sure. Being a good worker and keeping positive gets me through the day...and hey I have the gift of life so I am happy to be on this side of the sod.

Last edited:
Electra i know how you feel people say i dont listen to them. I do its just i orget. I woke up this morninand i could not remember what i was doing. I knew what day it was just no what i ws supposed to be doing tiau. It toik me a while to think what i was doing before i remembered. its scary ain it?

After my very first seizure I lost a little over 10 years of memory. Some things were still up there but not much.

I've had epilepsy for about 9 years now. At first after every seizure I had I'd forget alot of stuff that would happen that day or even days before. Then my memory would last about a month, now I'm at about 6 monts or so of remembering things. After that it starts to fade away.

It seems that things that I had ALOT of fun doing stayed up there but most everything else slipped away.

It took me about three months to remember that Pres Regan had died and I had even watched his furnal on tv with my husband. Every time something would come on TV about him that he did while he was alive I was supprised that he was dead, it just wouldn't stick. My husband thought I was joking about it but then he realized that I actually didn't know he was dead. Now that it's stuck up there it is a joke between my husband and I.

I have a very positive outlook on things so I get a good laugh abut things that I've done and can't remember doing it.

Thanx val. Its like a huge part of my life just hasnt happened. Yestetday mornin i woke uo and didnt know what day it was. It took me ages to work it out. Ive always had a bad memory bt not to a stage where i dont know what day it us.

Hi,
So nice to have this forum where other people can relate to what you're going through. I was diagnosed with epilepsy 18 months ago.

I struggle a lot with the memory thing and being so tired. I am a single mother of a three year old. I get so tired and I always feel like people think I'm being lazy if I have to rest some days because I have run out of steam.

And yes the memory. So very bad. Was never fantastic although I was always good at cramming for exams when I was studying. Now I feel like I can't keep anything up there! Was talking to an ex boyfriend the other day who is really into canoeing and I said 'That's something I've never done' and he said 'We spent a week canoeing together ten years ago!!' I have no recollection of it. And I was mad about adventures. Have done a lot of crazy stuff and it's sad that I'm forgetting it.

The other day I went to turn onto a street and I couldn't remember who had to give way to who. And went to go swimming near my mums house where I've gone a lot and couldn't remember how to get there.

But then again I met a quadriplegic the other day. Reminded me how much I have to be thankful for.

I am starting to use notebooks and my iPhone a lot more. I put in people's names and their partners and kids names into my phone and even a word which makes me remember who they are like 'Ruth - bookshop' etc. That is helping a bit. Cause I am hopeless at remembering people. Shocking.

Its hard though - I hate having to explain it all to people.

It's very normal to have memory loss with epilepsy with the seizures or the meds.
I just happen to have a good memory and I have memory loss when I have seizure.
I'm not the best with names so it might take me a few times to remember someone's name.
I try to write things down first it always helps me.

Belinda

This forum is great it is nice ti know theres others that i can relate to. My memory hasnt been great ever but its only sibce i took keppra and come off them. Its so weird.

Back
Top Bottom