Memory loss

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

That's me. Some meds keep you from cognitivly understanding things as fast . Like depakote. But there is a difference. The more seizures you have, and depending where they are comming from depends on how you are losing your memory. I had a rtl that is memory, rythem,speech sometimes. But 2 years later I went into status and a coma for 5 days. When I came out of it I did not know my own son.That part is over ,but I don't recognize faces or things I did any more.Good childhood memories but its more short term that I don't get. I got one of those kids computers and learned all the skeletal bones. I think I have to re-learn that again.

My husband has just called me from work to say that I forgot to put ham in his ham sandwiches this morning. Duh! He is on his way home as we speak. Fortunately I have an extremely patient husband and we had quite a giggle over it. Quite often I try to explain something and can't get out what I want to say. I have just increased my meds so I think that may have something to do with the ham episode. I have been making his lunches for work for the last 15yrs and this is the first time I have ever mucked it up. Keep smiling x

I never recognize faces. My perifial vision is gone. I remember my childhood.But I don't remember 10 minutes ago. I hate it when people don't believe me. It's like my credibility is gone.

I have forgotten to take my morning meds 4 times now, not everday, over a period of weeks but it's because I get distracted and it's one of those things you do so automatically, you think you did it even if you haven't and are surprised when you forget. I do have an awful short term memory but it's not bad enough where I forget names or anything like that.

First I reccomend that you let yourself forgive yourself. I have to give meds to my son first, then myself. I have forgotten to take mine.I just remember to give my son.Then since my meds are set up a week a head of time. If I miss it , atleast take it a little late.

Thanks. I never forget the pm pills. lol Luckily with the AM pills, 5 of them are just vitamins and there are only two pills that are prescribed that I take in the morning but not in the evening. So technically it's only two pills that are important that I take in the morning that I don't in the evening. So when I have forgotten to take them in the morning, when I take the PM pills, there are only two prescribed one's I don't take then, only in the morning.

I have some I take morning and night and only two I just take in the morning. I take 5 prescribed everyday, three of which twice a day and two once a day, the rest are vitamins.

My memory is significantly effected by Epilepsy particularly the short-term, though I am certain I am missing memories from the long-term as well. I have been living in Sweden for 4 years and still have not been able to learn Swedish, it seems like every time I have a bad day with multiple seizures that my memory is just deleted. I feel like I am always relearning the same thing over and over and never progressing. I forget where I am all the time, even if in a very familiar place I am constantly getting lost and disoriented in the city (maybe I am having absences?), sometimes even outside of my own apartment! I am constantly forgetting what I am doing and where I have placed items. I am always surprised at what I find in my drawers and cabinets. I forget people entirely, could be someone I got on well with for months but I just won't be able to recognize them at all despite their familiarity with me. My husband repeats the same things to me for years before I eventually catch on if I catch on, which would drive anyone crazy. I have such a poor attention span as well that I am not always sure if the information is getting in, in the first place. My husband will often find me doing the same thing for hours and I won't realize it, so I am always losing time. I forget how I am positioned and end up seriously injuring myself. I feel like I never keep my promises either because I forget or I am just so incompetent.

I wrote a poem about my experience

Static

The world comes to me as static feed,

In mutilated monochromes that jam

All subsequent signals, my stare

Unlike my legs goes on for miles

In opposition to all governing

Architecture. Sometimes the

Winds toss me up into the

Atmosphere as if I were

A messenger pigeon

=

In this world I have found no

Means to live, my mind is a snare that

Halts and rends. My thoughts are

Disproportionate to the circumstances

That elicit them, my heart is small

But filled with big emotions like

A hand that squeezes too tightly

(Especially in those moments of

Release and acquisition). My eyes

Have the look of faded graphite

I am haunted or haunting

I forget which

=

Reality disseminates upon extraction.

As if an illusion, I have the vague

Sense that I am not real, that I am

The product of a discarded pathos

Like the accumulation of pollution

In areas that are accustomed to abuse

=

I suffer from fits of malignant amnesia,

Sometimes I wake unable to find my body,

That empty wallet that offers no guarantee

For the contents within. I dread being

Recognized in the streets, the

Crystallization of a sudden expectation

Its all showmanship and I have no

Idea how to act

=

Its gut-wrenching the way I

Break hearts every time I smile

Those unspoken promises

Being especially hard to keep

As soon as you turn around

I’ll have wondered off again

Drawn to something in the

Distance or else I’ll be

Standing there bone white

As if I’d seen a ghost

memories...

Light the corners of my mind, sometimes! Short term memory-shot. Names are a huge challenge great face recognition though. Finding my car in a parking lot-impossible unless I study the lay out of where I am. I work retail right now and I am a challenge for the managers (headache!). Someone mentioned seizures or meds that do a number on the memory or cognitive skills. After 45 years of all this fun I would say both. My reaction time to a conversation is slow. I appear to be somewhat reserved and am less likely to be sociable due to the effort it takes to pull it off.;-)

I've been realizing thiw past week just how much my memory haw suffered. I've been forgetting everything. Bringing in paperwork, recalling information, oh... and on a funnier note.... one of my friends who drives s me a bunch of places has a black gmc with remote start... I've twice gotten into the wrong black car... one even had someone in it. She was scared lol. I have a really hard time with all of it and itself been really frustrating

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

I feel my short term memory isn't how it used to be since taking Keppra along side another epilepsy drug. Is there any way of getting round this as I am getting quite sick and tired of this issue, or is it just something that comes as a side effect that I can't avoid?

Back
Top Bottom