Memory Loss

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

KathyJJ

Stalwart
Reaction score
For years, my memory was fine. But, when I started into menopause, my short term memory was terrible and it still is. I talked to my doctor about it and he said it goes with epilepsy. I don't have a problem with long term memory. It's just short term that gives me a problem. But, give me a number and I can't forget it. It's weird. Has anyone out there found anything that helps with memory problems? If so, I sure would appreciate it if you would share it. Thanks for your time and information! :)

Yes! My wife has run the gamout with memory problems. For her, there was a strong correlation between impaired memory (both short and long term) and seizure frequency/intensity. Also, Depakote (sodium valproate) negatively impacted her cognitive functions.

Other than avoiding AEDs that impair cognitive function and avoiding seizures, my wife's cognitive functions improved when she used EEG neurofeedback.

This is a topic of conversation in our house too.
Definite loss of memory right after an episode (hours are lost). Difficulty in memorizing and remembering. However I am dealing with a teen, so it is hard to no what is selective and what is a problem. I'll keep you posted.

I have never had what one would call a great memory, but since being epileptic, it has gotten so much worse. After grand mall seizures, I can loose memory for up to 30 days. Sometimes it gradually comes back, but a lot of it is lost.

After complex partial seizures its usually just the past several hours that become amnesiac and never come back.

I am only a year into being epileptic, so any help anyone comes up with would be stellar.

Emily - Yes this is very similar to Rebecca's.
She is also only 1.5 yrs into this disorder. In October 2006 though, she had some sort of episode that left her with amnesia (all 14 yrs). This lasted about 2 months, and something clicked back in, around Dec. She still doesn't have memory for those 2 months.

My frustration is trying to figure out what leads up to a seizure. She has no memory for hours prior to one, so I can't keep acurate records. Her friends can at times fill in a few gaps. Like she mentioned she felt dizzy, or her head hurt, or she had a stomach ache.
Do you have an aura?

Short term memory loss is what brought me to the doctor initially. At age 28 I knew the sudden onset of short term memory loss was unusual. At first we (my family doctor and I) thought it was a sode effect of Wellbutrin which I was tkaing for depression/anxiety so I weaned off of it and there was no change. This and other symptoms is what led me to my 1st neuro consult and an EEG determined I had epilepsy and the frequent "spacey" episodes were causing my memory loss. I have yet to notice a difference on my AEDs but I have only been on them for 3 weeks.

RobinN-

I definately have auras. If the seizure is REALLY bad then I don't remember the feelings. But there have been times when I did remember the feelings.

I have also become familiar enough with them that there are times when I feel it and immediately stop what I am doing and go lay down. Sometimes this prevents a full on seizure. Its probably a partial.

In my auras I feel dizzy, light headed, dream-like, de ja vus, almost out of body. I don't remember any physical pain sensations. It is a crazy, crazy feeling.

Yes, I definetly have short term memory problems, now my long term memory up to about 6 years ago is fine.
I am through menopause earliar than usual, but I was having the memory problems before that.
I have note pads and pens laying all over my apt.
It is that way all the time now, I also can lose the memory of my families names, phone numbers and more after having a CP or GrandMal, the last time I went into Status and couldn't remember anything about that day other than the couple hours before the seizures hit me. I was pretty out of it that whole day and night.
what gets me sometimes is alot of people around my age, just don't understand, when I try to tell them about my memorie problems, they say things like, oh well, mine isn't any better, it comes with age Tammy. Well yes I know that but not quite such memory problems at the age of 47 and they have been that way for about 5 or more years now.

My short term memory became a problem after my head injury, and I think it got worse after the seizures started and subsequent meds.

I do lots of cognitive exercises, for my memory and other issues.

Here is one of my short term memory exercises. I usually do this at night when I can't sleep.

I started by saying a food or a name or something that starts with "a", then one with "b", then I repeat to myself the "a" word, the "b" word and think of a "c" word. Then I add a word for each letter each time repeating back the other words to myself.

After doing this for a long time, I now think of a sentence using alliteration with each letter.

Besides being a good brain exercise for memory, it keeps me from dwelling on all those thoughts that keep me from sleeping. I usually fall asleep easily while doing this.

Kathyjj
I've had epilepsy for 28 years and my experiences (real life, not the internet) have shown that my short term memory loss is brought on by the MEDs, so you're screwed either way.

Randy

For years, my memory was fine. But, when I started into menopause, my short term memory was terrible and it still is. I talked to my doctor about it and he said it goes with epilepsy. I don't have a problem with long term memory. It's just short term that gives me a problem. But, give me a number and I can't forget it. It's weird. Has anyone out there found anything that helps with memory problems? If so, I sure would appreciate it if you would share it. Thanks for your time and information! :)

Lecithin helped me a lot when I had severe memory problems after my stroke. Why not do some google searches on the individual vitamins, minerals, and amio acids, and memory? I also improved a lot when I took the amino acid, taurine. If your meds are causing the problem, you may have some luck by taking the nutrients the meds deplete or interfere with such as b vitamins and vitamin D, but always check to be sure any supplements you take can be used safely with your meds. Whatever process is affecting your memory may also improve with nutrients. Try a google search on nutrition and memory also.

Here are a few ideas from a nutritionist. I found them all to be very good suggestions:

1. Nutrient Deficiencies - If you're eating the typical American "junk food" diet, expect not only memory problems, but a lot of other health problems. Your brain needs nutrients to work right, particularly B-vitamins. Correcting your B-vitamin deficiencies alone can greatly help your nervous system including your brain function. Deficiencies of amino acids (protein building blocks) can also play a significant role.

2. Low Blood Sugar - Hypoglycemia causes a lack of glucose in the blood and therefore in the brain. It can produce mental spaciness, lethargy, and memory difficulties. If you notice episodes of poor memory when it's been too long since you've eaten, this is a likely cause. Eliminating refined sugar, eating a good whole foods diet with adequate protein, avoiding caffeine, and not skipping meals can help.

3. Candidiasis - Overgrowth of the common yeast organism, Candida albicans, frequently causes short-term memory problems and mental spaciness. Those symptoms are basically the response of the body to the toxins produced by the yeast organisms. This is a very common reason for memory problems in the non-elderly and elderly alike.

4. Food Sensitivities - Reactions to common foods can produce a very wide variety of symptoms, including mental fogginess and memory difficulty. Reactions to common foods like milk, wheat and yeast cause many to "space out."

5. Hormonal Imbalances - I have often observed with our pre-menopausal and menopausal clients, memory problems accompanying mental spaciness. If the memory difficulty coincided with hormonal changes, this is a likely cause. I've also observed this problem when women are on hormone replacement therapy that isn't quite right for their body.

6. Stress - In younger people, various forms of emotional stress tax the memory. Most people are just too busy to really enjoy optimum life and health. The average person is rushing around to and from work, and a hundred other commitments that frankly overload the brain. I like to think of the brain like a switchboard that can only have so many calls and then it's full. When you try to force your brain to handle more than it can comfortably handle, you forget things. This is your body's way of saving you from yourself! Slow down, do less, breathe once in awhile, stop and smell the roses, and recognize that everything depends on God, not on you.

http://www.pacifichealthcenter.com/updates/52.asp

Please don't get me started on memory
issues! I've had it since a wee one!

:(

It's been up and down like a roller coaster!
I can have a schedule posted right smack
in front of me and forget all about it!

:mad:

Back
Top Bottom