Memory: Seizures, Medication or both

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Hey Robin,
Do you have any idea what may cause her seizures..forgive me for not knowing..I did not go back and read all the posts. I can see how the meds can further compromise the situation..our son was being treated for his ashtma and I swear the one med was making his system weaker and in turn he was getting Pneumonia..it seems after about 7 yrs. he went off and immediately improved. No more Pneumonia. Sometimes it feels like you take 3 steps forward and 10 back. Hopefully she will heal and possibly overcome these seizures. Some things happen in childhood and then as adults just seem to get better.
Meds are weird too..you take it for one thing and then it can cause 5 more problems..
Half the time I don't know which way to go..I guess trust your Drs and listen to your gut, right. I have learned my instict is better than anything or anyone's opinion. Especially Mom's know best when it comes to their children!! : ))

Michelle

I guess I am not yet at a place where I fully trust my doctors. I have had some horrendous experiences. At least with the doctors that are associated with my insurance.

What I have come to learn is that we are all this close (holding thumb and index finger an inch apart) to haveing a seizure. For some reason those that do have triggers that push them over the edge. It might be a few two many combined at one time. Perhaps one at a time it wouldn't push as hard. For Rebecca, it was hormones, diet, and a very sesitive nervous system. Perhaps a vitamin and mineral deficiency due to bad nutrition over the years. Also being constipated her whole life didn't allow the needed nutritients to be absorbed and feed her brain. I think add insult to injury a diet rich in free glutamates also made a bad situation worse, thus the brain gave up and warned us that there was a bigger problem looming. I really don't see the seizures as the worse part of all of this. It is figuring out why that is happening.

I don't see Epilepsy for Rebecca as being anything more than just a label at the moment. I believe her seizures are a symptom of a much greater cause. So working sometimes one thing at a time or five, I don't really care if I know exactly what is off balance, as I have seen the results of when it all goes haywire. I want that to stop.

I began my adult life with the belief in pure foods and health, and somewhere in the hullabaloo I bought into the quick fix, fast food, processed is okay life style. Well guess what... it is not. It is just time ticking for everyone else to be hit with something. The pharmaceutical companies can't make a new pill fast enough. Many believe we have gotten healthier, and yet I think it is just one big roll of duck tape covering up a new epedemic of illnesses that we are causing with legal drug dependency....
Autism... there is no such thing as a genetic epidemic
ADHD, Bypolar, depression, chronic fatigue, diabetes... on and on
Most we are learning can be eliminated with nutrition.
why they don't try a casein free diet for asthma first before drugs makes me want to scream...:soap:

I agree..there are answers to why so many kids have asthma now compared to when we were kids..Autism...my nephew has aspergers..all these things that are on the rise. Why girls are getting their periods at age 8 and 9. There has to be some connections in there somewhere.

I agree..there are answers to why so many kids have asthma now compared to when we were kids..Autism...my nephew has aspergers..all these things that are on the rise. Why girls are getting their periods at age 8 and 9. There has to be some connections in there somewhere.

My menses cycle started just after
when I was 9½ but before I was 10,
(and I was born in 1962) and I had
been "premium irregular" since! So
YES - there IS a connection between
girls/teens who have started their
cycles 'early' and who have Epilepsy.
There's been many discussions on this;
and there's also a big concern on these
other issues as well on girls who started
early are also at a very high risk for:

• ovarian cysts
  • miscarriages
  • painful sex
  • being irregular
  • having more than 1 type of Epilepsy
  • being idiopathic / refractory / intractable
  • risk for gynecological cancer / issues
  • having Pituitary Gland problems
  • risk of being hypo or hyper thyrodism
  • risk of having cardiac issues
  • numerous of other risks not listed here

It is known now as "Women's Issues"
in Epilepsy; and it's still not fully under-
stood. As the girl grows into puberty,
then to womanhood then to perimeno-
pause then to menopause - seizures
change for better or for worse. They
can decrease or increase, or even a
major headache ... some women can
actually get worse after having babies,
other women it's vice versa - they get
better after having babies. The "horror-
mones" as I affectionately call it, isn't
fully understood. It's confusing.

While with a male: you could put him
in a Class A, B, C, D - but not so with
a female - you would have Classes A
to Z - and not one of them would be
alike - you would have to put them in
a bunch which would be best be in the
most similarities.

It's not even understood WHY a woman
who had Epilepsy, BOOM, stops having
it after she had babies, then comes
menopause, BANG - she's got it all
back again and she's worse than she
originally was before she ever had
any children! Then you have a whole
bunch of cases.

Makes a Neuroscientist bang his head
on the wall when it comes to dealing
with WOMEN!

:zacepi:

But I'm being honest, there never was
any "rise" in this area; THEY JUST NOW
STARTING TO PAY ATTENTION!

I'll gladly bide my time on legal drugs until they find a cure...medications for any disease are constantly evolving and improving. Call it a drug company conspiracy or whatever...I'm glad for the meds I have. I'll be a cog in their system.

What if it isn't about "them" finding a cure, but you finding what your body needs to heal itself. Perhaps it is about your particular mechanical system that is out of balance, and only you know what it takes to make it in balance?

I am certainly not saying there is a drug company conspiracy, but I do feel they reap the benefits of many illnesses. Money in their pocket when we stay sick.
Not too unlike the car that you take into the mechanic and you say fix it. You have to give them some idea as to the pings, pongs, sputters that occur or else they are clueless. If they just put duct tape over the things that they can see, pretty soon the "machine" acts up again and you have a new set of circumstances to deal with.

Just my way of looking at it.

But I'm being honest, there never was
any "rise" in this area; THEY JUST NOW
STARTING TO PAY ATTENTION!

That's what they use to say with Autism

Hi David - I'm on 500 mg of Lamictal and 5 mg of Clonopin and just getting my physical balance back but my brain just ain't the same. My diction usually clear, finely paced is now slury. Words once usually easily pronounced drop somewhere in my throat and spring back up indaquately. I love to read and now when I discuss books and/or authors I sound like an ignoramous. I wonder with each seizure does it get worse? Am I becoming brain damaged? My smarts is smarting me! Laurie (got my name right this time!)

Am I becoming brain damaged? My smarts is smarting me! Laurie (got my name right this time!)

We're not Medical Doctors here, only
your Doctor can determine that. There
could be many reasons why you could
be slurring your words, sustaining
memory issues, etc - it could be a side
effect of medication(s).

But since you indicate your seizures
are getting worse, I would strongly
advise you to pick up the phone and
arrange an appointment and sit down
and discuss this with your Doctor.
It may be time to be re-evaluated all
over again.

This is just my humble opinion and
recommendation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Laurie - I am not David but I am so sorry you are experiencing this.

Have you read any of the information regarding neurofeedback? My daughter is now working with the EEG Institute here in CA. It is a fascinating therapy. I know another member had seizures for 25 yrs and was able to eliminate them with neurofeedback at a center in NY. You might consider researching it. It might allow you to reduce your medication and live a more fulfilling life.

Hi Brain - Now big short term memory but even before my seizure last year I've always been an avid note taker. More than a memory problem...just liked the order of it all. Now, it's a necessity. Patchwork of notes all over my room reminding to do or get to the simplest things e.g. "wash hair today" (I wash it every three days). It's a good thing that your hands and typing are in sync. I hope that proves to be my case. I'm a writer and have been working on a huge memoir project (my baby - I call it). Brain fog still prevents me from stearing in the right direction but I hope, like you, my hands and brain will serve my project well. I return to it tomorrow determined to end my fifth chapter. I wonder how my two seizures a few weeks ago will affect my long term memory. I'm at age ten in my memoir and wonder if I'll be able to recapture the stuff of dialogue, imagery, story line and reflection! Well, tomorrow will tell. I'll have to write myself a note as to when I intend to dive into it. I'm structured that way! Laurie

Good things have come out of memory struggles... I think of Post-it Notes as one.

Post its

I've been known to post post its all over my wall. What a site! Now, I try to keep them (different colors) on my desk. Looks like a checker board square. Laurie

Sounds pretty. I love the new colors they have come out with.

But just think of this... it took someone with a memory issue to come up with the product. Now the idea has taken a life of its own. Think of your struggles and maybe you too can help many others dealing with this type of short circuiting and get $$$ in the process.

http://www.ideafinder.com/history/inventions/postit.htm

well I guess I just assumed that the inventor had a memory issue. Good story though.

I remember this and consider those times that I am frustrated and how I can design something to help my situation. My way of looking at things.

Good things have come out of memory struggles... I think of Post-it Notes as one.

Robin -

Even I tried that and I forget where
I post the Post-It-Notes!

:embarrassed:

Got any other better OPTIONS?

Sorry, I wasn't trying to say that Post-its were the "answer". I was trying to say that a postive can come from a negative. That the lack of memory can be the negative, but from that is created something useful.

So lets all put our bits of memory together and come up with something that will rock the world.

Sorry, I wasn't trying to say that Post-its were the "answer". I was trying to say that a postive can come from a negative. That the lack of memory can be the negative, but from that is created something useful.

So lets all put our bits of memory together and come up with something that will rock the world.

I'm asking YOU if you could come up
with some options.

Let's say my computer's crashed
or the power went off ...
I'm currently using my computer
for everything on there; I depend
on it.

NOW WHAT?

I've tried Ledgers, Post-It-Notes,
Refrigerator Bulletin Boards (dry
erase types), even taping notes to
mirrors, etc ...

AND YET - I FORGET!

WHY?

Because I don't go into the room
or I didn't look!

:(

I turn my computer on because
I have the weather bug that I
use and my E-Calendar comes up
automatically (it has EVERYTHING
from Week-At-A-Glance to Month,
you name it - it's there).

I'd be lost without it.

I even FORGET to write it down.
Even my DOCTORS tell me to put
it on the computer because they
know I will misplace it or loose
it or who-knows-what!

I'm so embarrassed! I'm very
organized indeed. But yet, my
memory is so bad I have no idea
where I put it.

:(

Hit print daily

Brain - first thing each time you log on to your computer - hit print (you may even be able to schedule it). Leave the print outs right there on the printer or close by. Don't move them around. That is your best back up option.

You know 1962 wasn't too bad of a year for girls (wife also born in 62), but I think 1961 produced better guys.

Back
Top Bottom