Memory seizures?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Kyla

New
Reaction score
It's been a long while since I posted anything here but I've developed an unusually bad short term memory. To the point where I can't even follow plot lines of movies and I can't carry most long conversations. I also get these moments where i'll be having a conversation or talking and it literally feels like someone has pulled a plug and BOOM, I instantly forget what I was talking about. Literally EVERYTHING. I have to ask the person what we were talking about and I still sometimes can't remember where I left off. I was just wondering if anyone else experiences this? Or is there such thing as this being an actual little seizure itself?

Though I mostly get tonic-clonic seizures, on a few occasions I've experienced what you describe. I'll be in the middle of a conversation, and then it's as if someone flicked the on-off switch in my brain. My "train of thought" goes off the rails. :)

It's considered a kind of generalized seizure, like an absence seizure, because the whole brain is involved (though only briefly). In my case, I consider it a "breakthrough" seizure -- a warning that I need to increase my medication dose.

You might want to check in with your neuro about increasing your dosage to see if it helps. For me, the higher dose has stopped all seizures, and I have no issues with my short-term memory. I higher dose might do the same for you.

Back
Top Bottom