Memory

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Jake

Stalwart
Reaction score
Do you think if someone stopped taking AED’s their memory would improve?
Was curious if anyone stopped or changed meds or cut down and had an improved memory.

Hi Jake,

I've cut back on a lot of my seizure meds along with the dosage after I has surgery to reduce my seizures but my memory didn't improve. When I had the surgery done my neurosurgeon told me I had so many seizures over the yrs. that it shrunk and hardened my right hippocampus where the short term memory is and he removed it.
I was told to do a lot of math and word search puzzles along with brain teasers to better my memory and that has helped me a little. I wish you the best of luck and May God Bless You!

Sue

Among other factors, it depends on the specific memory issues a person is having having (short-term vs long-term, recall issues, transient amnesia, muscle memory, visual memory, procedural memory, etc.). Some issues can be caused by meds and will improve when the meds are reduced or stopped, but not in every case or for every person.

When I was on zonisamide, I had started having problems with word-finding -- a cognitive function related to memory recall. When I went off the Zonisamide, that problem went away.

Word-finding... OMG! I can relate to that... I can see what I'm trying to say in my mind, but I can't spit out any words that go with it. I'll be in mid-sentence and then have to stop because I can't think of "that word." Sometimes the person will finish my sentence for me and I'll say thank you, that's what I was trying to say. Other times I'll "act it out" or start rambling off a bunch of words that are somewhat correlated with it. I feel like I'm playing Charades sometimes 🤦🏻

Word finding problems ("word-loss issues")are a known side effect of Topamax, as well. I'm on 400mg/day of each--Topamax & Zonisamide. I often have times when I know what I want/need to say--I can actually see it in mind as if it's written on paper, but my brain & mouth can't connect.

Hi Jake,

Re: SHORT Term memory loss,

In my case, I was on Dilantin for 38 yrs. (Long story there, could write a book) and had terrible memory loss. When I was put on Lamotrigine,, my short term memory only improved SLIGHTLY but like Porkette mentioned, I have to do a lot of puzzles and brain teasers that help.

The brain damage that was caused by the long term use of Dilantin has left me with Permanente brain damage but at least IT'S not gettng worse.

I had also taken Dilantin for approximately 25 years--my doctors had me switch to Vimpat due to the possibility of osteoporosis. I couldn't stay on it because our insurance changed. I do a lot of word & jigsaw puzzles. I also enjoy quilting, which is pure geometry.

Back
Top Bottom