Metabolic Neurology

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

BuckeyeFan

Grandpa
Reaction score
My Neurologist has been working with me on my diminishing cognitive abilities. He has recommended that I see another neurologist about Metabolic Neurology studies.

Does anyone have experience with this fairly new diagnostic field?

Could "Metabolic Neurology studies" be the study of - how - through metabolic (enzymatic) pathways, neurotransmitters/neuromodulators are synthesized (created). Focusing mainly on the processes within the brain?

My story: https://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/threads/40-years-on-vitamin-b6.11674/

**DO NOT ALTER ANY MEDICATION WITHOUT YOUR DOCTOR'S CONSENT**

...Also:

And:

I have not heard of this before. Is it at all related to the gut-brain stuff that @Keith has been researching?
From what I understand it is more about how the brain metabolizes sugar (possibly other things). By seeing where the metabolism is not occuring, they can help diagnose Alheismers vs Dementia vs other issues. The pioneer in this area was from the Cleveland clinic, however has retired. I am looking at going to Columbus to another expert now.

Could "Metabolic Neurology studies" be the study of - how - through metabolic (enzymatic) pathways, neurotransmitters/neuromodulators are synthesized (created). Focusing mainly on the processes within the brain?

My story: https://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/threads/40-years-on-vitamin-b6.11674/

This sounds like it is definitly in that area of processes. I need to learn much more.
Thank You for the info.

The vitamin B6 vitamers include pyridoxine, pyridoxal, and pyridoxamine, as well as their phosphorylated forms such as pyridoxal phosphate, which is a key coenzyme for a surprising variety of enzymes involved in myriad aspects of metabolism.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom