Migraine & valproic acid!

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Amy

New
Reaction score
Hello All,

I just learned from my son's neuro that valproic acid is being given to treat migrain head ache too, other than seizures. I look at it in a different way.

I started getting migrains, ever since I lost my dearest mother, due to heavy depression. Now getting a lot better, after I started meditation. I can sense when a migrain is about to start - I take excedrin for migrain & it stops the symptoms in <30 minutes, instead of our 2-3 days getting ruined due to migrain.

So, do you think if the seizure is about to start, for the ones with some kind of aura, can you take some medicine that can stop it and put you to sleep right away? Just a thought.
Thx,
Amy

I have no idea. My seizures all come during the R.E.M. sleep phase while I'm in dreamland. It makes sense though. Good luck.

Interesting idea Amy.
I was able to stop migraines with magnesium. This is also known to help with seizures.
I am so thankful that I have my life back, and I take a little extra mag if I feel the tightness begin in my neck, or the pain in back of my left eye.

I think that ativan is a similar drug. It is suppose to stop the seizure, but I was told it most likely will make you drowsy.

THanks Robin for your reply. How/where do you get magnesium? or is it from food? pls explain.,
Amy

http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/f22/magnesium-2230/

I buy it from the doctor that prescribed it. It is Ionic Magnesium a liquid form. I bought some other liquid to see if it was similar, and the taste was just awful. What I am using is tolerable. I can link you if you are interested, but I wouldn't want anyone to think that I am in the business of selling health products. It just has been a miracle mineral for me.

I was getting them monthly, for four days (not sure if I wrote this here), vomiting etc. It was an awful time of the month. I could almost count the days. 30 yrs of this. When I was a teen I remember having about 4 a week, on and off. I have not had a classic one in about two years. That is unless I play games with the supplement and don't take it like suggested.

You know sometimes you can pass on birthmarks to children, and I wonder if I have a similar birthmark on my brain as Rebecca does on hers. It would be an interesting test, but I have no reason to get an MRI.

Robin, I'm not sure you ever expressed before how much the magnesium was helping. You should create a thread in the History Book detailing your experience. :mrt:

Back
Top Bottom