Mitochondrial Dysfunction and Seizures

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

RobinN

Super Mom
Reaction score
I was reading some new information that is being passed around in other neuro sites. There is a new link between mitochondrial dysfunction and autism. So I just wanted to see what the research was on mitochondrial dysfunction and seizures. I have learned that many with autism also have a seizure disorder. I have one child with each, so it is of interest to me.

I will be following this very closely.

Mitochondrial Dysfunction And Oxidative Stress In Epilepsy (pp. 105-137)
Authors: Cock, Hannah R. (St Georges Hospital Medical School, London, UK)
Abstract:
Mitochondria, in addition to a primary role in energy production, are of increasingly recognized importance in intracellular calcium homeostasis, signalling and ROS (reactive oxygen species or free radicals) production. The role of mitochondria in excitotoxic cell death in many disease states has been extensively studied, and in recent years this has extended to studies of mitochondrial function in seizure related cell death. The process of mitochondrial permeability transition, releasing chemicals into the cytoplasm that initiate cell death pathways, is central in this context. Numerous triggers to permeability transition have now been identified. Many, if not all may act specifically through effects on the redox state of the cell and oxidative stress. There is accumulating evidence that seizures disrupt normal redox homeostasis in the cell. This may be important for seizure related cell death, and have significant functional consequences in surviving neurons. However, which of these changes are compensatory following seizures, and which might be involved both in epileptogenesis and/or neurological damage as a result of seizures requires further study. In addition, many factors including genetic background, seizure type and duration may influence to what extent the biochemical consequences of seizures are detrimental. Reliable markers of pathological, as opposed to physiological, changes are required, which then need to be validated in a clinical setting. This is particularly so given the emerging evidence supporting a role for Reactive oxygen species (ROS or free radicals) in physiological intracellular signalling. At present a range of antioxidant and other neuroprotective strategies appear promising in principle, but detailed studies across a range of in vivo seizure models, in clinically relevant paradigms, are needed before human trials should be considered.
https://www.novapublishers.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1426

Mitochondrial dysfunction and oxidative stress: cause and consequence of epileptic seizures.
Patel M.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, 4200 East Ninth Avenue, Denver, CO 80262, USA. manisha.patel@uchsc.edu

Mitochondrial dysfunction has been implicated as a contributing factor in diverse acute and chronic neurological disorders. However, its role in the epilepsies has only recently emerged. Animal studies show that epileptic seizures result in free radical production and oxidative damage to cellular proteins, lipids, and DNA. Mitochondria contribute to the majority of seizure-induced free radical production. Seizure-induced mitochondrial superoxide production, consequent inactivation of susceptible iron-sulfur enzymes, e.g., aconitase, and resultant iron-mediated toxicity may mediate seizure-induced neuronal death. Epileptic seizures are a common feature of mitochondrial dysfunction associated with mitochondrial encephalopathies. Recent work suggests that chronic mitochondrial oxidative stress and resultant dysfunction can render the brain more susceptible to epileptic seizures. This review focuses on the emerging role of oxidative stress and mitochondrial dysfunction both as a consequence and as a cause of epileptic seizures.

PMID: 15544915 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15544915

On Tuesday, March 11, a conference call was held between vaccine safety officials at the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, several leading experts in vaccine safety research, and executives from America's Health Insurance Plans, (the HMO trade association) to discuss childhood mitochondrial dysfunction and its potential link to autism and vaccines.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/david-kirby/the-next-big-autism-bomb_b_93627.html

That's interesting you posted that. I have been researching like crazy trying to find a link between fibromyalgia and seizures. I have read that there is some mitochondrial dysfunction in the cells of fibro patients, so what you posted makes sense.

I'm also finding a strong correlation between fibro, seizures, and sleep apnea. I'm finding more and more people online that have the same exact type of odd seizure activity that I have, same kind of odd temporal lobe spiking, same odd nocturnal seizures or seizures happenning while falling asleep, they have diagnosed fibro, and like me most were or are still being told that they need to see a psychiatrist, not a neurologist. I have never been diagnosed with sleep apnea, but I think it's time for a sleep study to see if I have it. I'm wondering if the lack of the right kind of sleep contributes to the mitochondrial dysfunction.

Thanks for posting that!

I doubt that is what is occuring with newborns and autism.
Viral, toxins, nutritional deficiencies.... the research goes on.

I doubt that's what's going on with newborns and autism either, I was just showing interest in the theory how mitochondrial dysfunction might cause seizures.

yes I understand, but also nutritionally there is a link to Fibro. It is all beginning at the cellular level.

MITOCHONDRIAL DYSFUNCTION, VACCINES AND AUTISM: 1 in 50 Children Could Be at
Risk

Of utmost significance are the following points:

. Up to 1 in 50 children (2%) may be at risk for mitochondrial
dysfunction.

. Thimerosal, mercury, aluminum, pollution, pesticides, medicines
and prenatal alcohol exposure have all been shown to damage mitochondria.

. Up to 20% of all children with autism may have underlying
mitochondrial dysfunction.

. The CDC is aware of this situation and is immediately taking
measures to address the current national vaccine schedule.

. The genetic susceptibility for mitochondrial dysfunction is not
rare.

. This DNA mutation alone may not be enough to confer cellular
dysfunction, doctors believe there is an environmental trigger as well.

. Children with mitochondrial dysfunction are more likely to regress
into autism following a fever and illness from viral infections or a vaccine
reaction.

. Some changes in the vaccine schedule will almost surely be made.
The most difficult decision is how and when to vaccinate children with
proven mitochondrial dysfunction.

Media Inquiries:
Rita Shreffler, NAA (Nixa, MO) 401-632-6452
Wendy Fournier, NAA (Portsmouth, RI) 401-835-5828

Note above connection to seizures

The Inner Life of a Cell

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom