Modified Atkins Diet

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

hootie

New
Reaction score
Of those that are doing this diet...
--are you using a doc to monitor your labs?
--are there any docs that you recommend that know how to follow this diet (in the Midwest--Chicago, Minneapolis, Madison, U.P. Michigan areas)?
--are you seeing success?

I have joined the atkins4seizures Yahoo! group to learn more while I am trying to slowly reduce my son's carbs and make high fat diet choices for him. We have been giving cod liver oil, olive oil, butter, and coconut oil for a while but I think he needs even more fats according to MAD.

:hungry:

Mad

my daughter has improvement on MAD for past 5 1/2, but still have 1~2 seizure on ovulation day & menstrual cycle, what would be the best plan of action? has any of you have experience take natural progesterone cream?

I just started the MADE last week. I am on this at the recommendation of my doctor. There is a dietician on staff and I report my labs & results to her, but she shares this information with my Dr.
It is still a bit early to see results, but I started on the same week as my period. I usually seize 1-2 x per month and are usually around menstration or ovulation. I seized ab 2 wks ago and I had a few auras last week, but I think I headed it off with Ativan.
Efather, I don't have any suggestions for your daughter as far as the diet goes, but before I was on this I was avoiding highly estrogenic foods. It didn't stop my seizures, but I could tell that I seized more when I did consume estrogenic foods (soy of any kind, MSG, eggplants, rosemary, or sage). There are so many estrogenic foods to name. I have tried progesterone cream, but it didn't work for me. Maybe I wasn't diligent enough or maybe it was the kind, but I do know that it has helped other people.
I'm not sure if it is normal, but since I have restricted my diet and added the fat, I have had tightness in my chest. It has only been a week so maybe this will go away :(. Does this sound familiar to anyone?
I would love to bat experiences and information with anyone who is currently doing this or past experience with anyone who has done this before.

Thanks all :)

It can take awhile for the body to adjust to new diets, so pay attention to how you're feeling, but allow some time to gauge the anti-seizure effects. Some folks see results right away, for others it takes a few months.

Some threads to check out:
http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/index.php?p=modified-atkins-diet
http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/f23/does-what-i-eat-affect-my-epilepsy-20466/

Progesterone treatments haven't been well-studied unfortunately, but what data is out there suggests that natural progesterone works better than the synthetic form, so look for that option.

can I get natural progesterone cream over the counter? what is best one?

Yes, it's available over the counter and online. I don't know what works "best", since the studies that have been done probably use an "unbranded" form compounded for the study. One that has been well-reviewed for insomnia (which means it has a calming effect that may help) is Emerita (Pro-Gest) Pro-gest Cream.

There are helpful tips and info here:
http://www.virginiahopkinstestkits.com/progesterone_cream_or_pill.html
http://natural-fertility-info.com/progesterone-cream-use-things-to-know.html
http://www.virginiahopkinshealthwat...lepsy-–-nih-sponsored-research-shows-benefit/

thank you for your infomation, she has seizure on Ovulation day , if start to take it on 14th day, is it too late?

The small studies aren't comprehensive enough to identify specifics of when to take it. For some women it might work best to take it every day, for others only during the "vulnerable" days. I think it makes sense to start a few days before when her seizures occur and continue to a few days after, to see if it makes a difference. Try and keep detailed notes on how she feels. Maybe have her just try the cream before bedtime at first. And let us know how it goes -- I hope it helps. It's terrific that you are so focused on helping your daughter.

Nakamova, my daughter has been on progesterone cream since 13 Jun, seizures only on 15,20,24 in Jun. no seizure up today, her menstration is into 3rd. I happy with the result.
Thank you for your advice, I will update again next month again.

Hey guys- new here. Been on the MAD diet, and well have seen a variety of results- seizure count down- but the worst is that I have very little energy. I mentioned this on a previous post. Nutritionist said to add more protein and fats, and it has helped a little: has anyone else had this problem and how did they deal with it? or any suggestions?

Thinking of doing MAD diet since my main trigger of my seizures thus far seem to be my period. But my main question is this how does it differ from the main Atkins protocol? I already have the main Atkins book and am familiar with its main principles somewhat. I just hate to spend more money on a book I already own.

Tina

Do not start this diet on your own, without having preliminary lab work done to measure various blood levels - most importantly cholesterol/triglycerides, and your current levels of various nutrients such as sodium, potassium, calcium, etc. as supplements may be necessary especially if this diet is a big change for you. If you have any issues with digestive irregularities (esp. constipation), your doctor may suggest supplements to combat this. There are some people for whom a high fat diet and/or low carbohydrate diet will be contraindicated because of other health issues (known or unknown) and it is important to find out if you might be jeopardizing your health with a high fat diet.

I'm looking for a dietician, I ended up getting 20 pages about this diet from my neuro and I still haven't figured it out it makes exactly no sense.
Eating what's on it are a bunch of things I can't stand.

Back
Top Bottom