More than one type

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

valeriedl

VIP
Supporter
Reaction score
Is it normal to have more than one type of seizure?

Pretty much if you name the type of seizure I've probably had at least one like it.

My daugter has three types: atonic (drop attacks), partial complex and absent.

Robert father of Abigail 11yo LGS, SBH

Growing up, I had complex partials and grand mals. Just this year, after having a VEEG, Instead of having grand mals during my stay, I had simple partial seizures. I had a couple of complex partial seizures after returning home, til my level of medication got back to where it should be. But for the most part, Ive had all three of those kind of seizures so far. Hoping not to have any more! :)

I have had all except drop attacks as I have noctural grand mals from time to time but haven't had any noctural lately.

My son started out with nocturnal myoclonics and abscences during the day. Later on he developed complex partials, atonic head drops & falls (he can's stand but fell on his face while seated) and tonic stiff cramps with a loud scream. Finally he ended up with tonic-clonic grand mals.

I've had SP, CP, and TC through the years, with nocturnal TC's also, on occasion. But mostly, mine are CP's now that I have the VNS, but not as often.

I've was having atonic seizures for a long time, seizures in which my left leg would drop out from under me causing me to almost fall, but usually my right leg would prevent an outright fall. If I had recognized this as a seizure and told a doctor about it back then, I'd have probably been diagnosed sooner.

I also have complex partials (mostly) and simple partials (infrequent). Whether I've ever had a grand mal, I have no way of knowing - I was living alone for most of the time I was seizuring and most of my seizures were nocturnal anyway.

But yes, having multiple types of seizures is common.

Yes, I've been doing a lot of research lately and realized that I too have had several different kinds of seizures, most notably the tonic-clonic/grand mal seizures, which are typically preceded by absence seizures.

When I had seizures as a baby they were tonic clonics.
But since I started having seizures again 10 years I mainly have an aura & take simple/complex partial seizures. I'm pretty I used to also take auras or simple partials in my sleep which only started about 3 - 4 years ago because some mornings I would wake up to find things in strange places. When I mentioned it to my local neuro he said it was probably just sleep walking. I was certain it was seizures though so I mentioned it to an epitiologist 2 years ago he said that it was more then likely I was having partial seizures in my sleep.

Last edited:
I have

4 different kinds of seizures....all of them in my sleep. However, they're under control at the moment *knock on wood* so I do count my blessings.

Tonic clonic, electrographic, frontal lobe and ....the fourth is escaing me at the oment.....Sorry, I have a migraine coming on. I'll add it back into the popst later. :)

Ah, yeah. Those silly myoclonics that make me feel like I'm falling off a bloomin' clifff.......

Back
Top Bottom