Mouth gestures

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
I know this is a really silly question but does anyone know WHY so many types of seizures involve the mouth?

I see lots of explanations about why a seizure in this or that part of the brain would cause this or that arm/leg to move or visual problems or language problems, but why do so many involve swallowing, chewing or lip smacking gestures, lip/tongue/cheek biting or clenching of teeth, no matter what part of the brain they are in?

It makes me think that the part that controls our mouths is somehow always involved but I doubt that's true.

I know it's not really important but I would like to understand it if anyone knows.

I always do the lip smacking/chewing business when I have my complex partials, but I have never really thought about why. I guess it must be somehow related to whatever part of the brain controls that. Some people will pick at their clothes or do other types of automatic behaviors, like blinking or swallowing, but the mouth thing does seem pretty common. That would be a good thing to ask your doc the next time you are there. Maybe I'll google it sometime.

Cheers!

I think it might partly be due to proximity. Seizure activity starts in the head of course, so facial muscles are often the first to be affected. And since many of the cranial nerves play roles in facial activity, seizures originating in various parts of the brain have a good chance of affecting the face one way or another. The Vagus Nerve affects the hard and soft palate, the tongue, and the pharynx (which is why the VNS can cause hoarseness -- right Arnie?). The Trigeminal nerve is responsible for sensation in the face as well as things like biting and chewing. The Hypoglossal Nerve is also involved in chewing, as well as tongue movements required for speaking and swallowing. etc...

Great answer, Nak! I may not even need to Google it now. That also can explain why it's hard to talk and why our speech is slurred. Not because we're not thinking right (or not totally that) but because our mouth and tongue muscles aren't doing what we would like them to be doing. Explains the swallowing and blinking, too.

I also do a good bit with my mouth during seizures, mostly complex partials. I'll mostly smack my lips or look like I'm chewing something.

Never thought why seizures and your mouth are related.

I never even thought of the all the nerves... only the facial nerves by the jaw. That makes sense. I have to stop thinking of seizures as wireless, one-way, signals. Good thing the people who made the VNS and tri-new-one didn't think like me. :paperbag:

Last edited:
I've done the lip movement (sucking, chewing) of which I am not aware, but also have sometimes been aware of the left side of my face doing a second-long sustained contraction then "jump". Occasionally it is in isolation but more often in association with a seizure.

I think it might partly be due to proximity. Seizure activity starts in the head of course, so facial muscles are often the first to be affected. And since many of the cranial nerves play roles in facial activity, seizures originating in various parts of the brain have a good chance of affecting the face one way or another. The Vagus Nerve affects the hard and soft palate, the tongue, and the pharynx (which is why the VNS can cause hoarseness -- right Arnie?). The Trigeminal nerve is responsible for sensation in the face as well as things like biting and chewing. The Hypoglossal Nerve is also involved in chewing, as well as tongue movements required for speaking and swallowing. etc...

The vagal nerve is the 10 cranial nerve and yes, it does effect hoarseness of voice, coughing, and I sometimes get a loss of feeling on the whole right side of my face. When I initially had the VNS, I had a difficult time swallowing, so I had to learn to eat differently.

I don't have a VNS, but have developed problems with chewing and swallowing. I wonder if those nerves can get damaged over time.

My last really bad seizure I had at my therapist office. My case manager was there also. They were both in awe because they had never seen a complex partial seizure (only a TC). Had only read the paper on it that all staff were given incase they were with me if one happened.
My therapist said I kept making mouth smacking noises and then I would make an O with my mouth. I had never had anyone tell me about the O gesture before. I thought it was odd.

Back
Top Bottom