mouthgaurd for CP ?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

ngas

New
Reaction score
Hi -

Has anyone heard of anyone putting in a sports mouthgaurd to protect their
tounge and lip from light chewing motions during a COMPLEX PARTIAL SEIZURE ? There are several mins warning for these seizures, thus one could put the mouthgaurd in a few secs before episode starts.

Note: Please do NOT answer if you are referring to generalised tonic clonic seizures as this is a different case.

Thanks

Hi Ngas,

I have always heard do not put anything in your mouth during a seizure. I thought that was a rule of thumb. Wow, who told you this? Don't tell me a dentist. i am curious who told you this though, a neuro or a dentist? I have found in Georgia that the neuros and dentists will tell you anything at least that has been my experience. I used a splint for my TMJ problems but it didn't help but of course my TMJ problem was far too great for a splint. I had arthoplasty last December and can eat solid foods now.

I see you are from Georgia too. So am I. What part are you from? I am from Albany, Georgia.

tam bam

Oh yeah, btw, I have complex partials as well. Who do you see since you are in Georgia. I have just fired my neuro and I am looking for a new one. If you know of a good neuro in Georgia please let me know I would be very greatful. You are welcome to private message me if you would like. Thanks.

tam bam

Last edited:
mouthgaurd for CP?

Hi Ngas,

I have always heard do not put anything in your mouth during a seizure. I thought that was a rule of thumb.

tam bam

What you have heard applies only to generalised tonic clonic seizures. Even profession physicians dont understand this.

Hi Ngas,

I agree with tam bam.

from epilepsy.com:

Here are a few things you can do to help someone who is having a seizure of any kind:

Many seizure types-such as generalized absence seizures or complex partial seizures, which involve relatively brief episodes of unresponsiveness- don’t require any specific first-aid measures.

1. Stay calm
2. Prevent injury
3. During the seizure, you can exercise your common sense by insuring there is nothing within reach that could harm the person if she struck it.
4. Pay attention to the length of the seizure
5. Make the person as comfortable as possible
6. Keep onlookers away
7. Do not hold the person down
8. If the person having a seizure thrashes around there is no need for you to restrain them. Remember to consider your safety as well
9. Do not put anything in the person's mouth
Contrary to popular belief, a person having a seizure is incapable of swallowing their tongue so you can breathe easy in the knowledge that you do not have to stick your fingers into the mouth of someone in this condition.
10. Do not give the person water, pills, or food until fully alert

If the seizure continues for longer than five minutes, call 911
Be sensitive and supportive, and ask others to do the same

mouthgaurd for CP?

Hi Ngas,

I agree with tam bam.

from epilepsy.com:

Again , you are referring to generalised tonic clonic seizures, I asked explicitly not reply if you are referring to this kind of seizure.
Thanks.

Here are a few things you can do to help someone who is having a seizure of any kind:

No, I was referring to any type of seizures.

Hi ngas --

I haven't heard of using a mouthguard for complex partials, but it might be worth talking to your doctor or dentist about to see what the pros and cons are. I think some people who have nocturnal seizures have used them at night to prevent mouth damage.

Best,
Nakamova

I am more inclined to say the physicians understand more so. espeially when it comes to putting things in the mouth. You could still break teeth or choke. I have had a complex partial while eating and i choked. so I would never put anything into anyones mouth. What happens if that complex partial generalizes. now your swalling your mouth gaurd during a tonic clonic.

I have heard of people swallowing their dentures during a gran mal

mouthgaurd for CP?

What happens if that complex partial generalizes. now your swalling your mouth gaurd during a tonic clonic.

Yes , this is a possibilty but VERY small for my case (like maybe 1 in 1,000) so using a sports mouthpiece is worth considering to avoid the minor cuts that show up on my tounge or lip.

Wouldn't purchasing a special medical custom fit mouthpiece be too hard on the wallet? A regular old sports mouthpiece would surely work just fine.

I would never do that. I have TMJ but do not use a mouth guard of any kind. I would not put anything in your mouth during a complex partial seizure just because you never know how confused you may get afterwards. Plus there isn't a whole lot of mouth movements that would seriously damage your teeth or mouth. If this does happen, its almost better to just let it happen, use half water/proxide to clean it and let it heal- or use salt water.
I've always heard to never put anything in anyone's mouth no matter what type seizure it is.

Please take care
Crystal

very small chance is still a chance and knowing how things seem to work, it'll be the first time you go to use it that it will generalize and you''ll be lying there after someone yanks it out of your mouth, going "well i guess that was a stupid idea"

Ngas,

I am so sorry if I offended you in anyway. I did not intend any harm in any way. I do have complex partial seizures as well and had only complex partials for years until this year out of the blue they generalized and I had no warning so Cint is right this can happen. I am living proof. This also happened with a splint in my mouth that a dentist made. I shattered it into little pieces. He was stunned. I almost choked. My oral surgeon told me to never wear one again so I never used one again. I have damaged many teeth because of tmj and because of complex partials but I would rather pay my dentist to repair my teeth than die from choking. I hope this helps and I hope I have not offened you or anyone else on the forum I am only sharing what I have experienced.

tam bam

SORRY, gonna sound a little dumb here. TMJ is abrreviated from what?

No question is a dumb question at all. I'll be happy to answer. TemporoMandibular Joint. It helps you talk, eat etc. It is located just beside side your ear right below your temple. Place your fingers there and open and close your jaw and you can feel it. It is a powerful bone and muscle structure but when it fails it is painful. Ouch!

tam bam

Last edited:
I'm guessing thats the thing that always hurts and feel slightly locked after a tonic clonic!

Yup, I got the clicking too. I went to an orthodontist about it once, and he said thats cuz I clench and grind my teeth adn there is nothing you can do about it. (is that true, or was it just that he wanted to sell me a mouth gaurd?*

My chiropracter helped it a bit by "cracking" it into place. I used to get headaches and earaches lots in that area, and usually just thought it was an ear infection, but when I used the drops it didnt go away.

Is this caused by seizures too? cuz I've noticed this since about 14. and usually most painful in the morning. Nocturnal seizures? hmm...

Rae, It could be from seizure because I tend to clench due to seizures as well but I was kind of a rare case with the tmj thing anyway. You see I had a botched braces job when I was 11. An orthodontist thought he could straghten my teeth and my bit at the same time instead of sending me to a jaw surgeon to straighten out my bite. Boy did I pay later. Well, over the years it developed into osteoarthritis and a cyst formed in my jaw. Last December I could hardly open my mouth when I had my surgery. My surgeon was very reluctant to even perform the surgery at all becuase the arthritis and the cyst did not show up on MRI but he took my word and saw the swelling in my jaw so he opened me up. This man was shocked. I mean this man was an Army Colonel who was used to seeing horrific jaw surgeries in the military but he said he did not expect this. He told me he would have thought I was in a car accident if he didn't know any better but now I am as good as new. He totally saved my jaw. This man rocks!

Anyway, try moist heat the next time it acts up. That really helps. If you anymore tips regarding tmj problems you are welcome to ask me.

tam bam

Back
Top Bottom