MSG: Dangerous or Deadly?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
You probably already know that MSG is a dangerous trigger for seizures. But I just read an article in http://www.vitalearth.net/MSG.html that is downright scary. According to their report:

MSG can be responsible for long term neurological damage. It’s been linked to diabetes, stroke, epilepsy, multiple sclerosis, stomach disorders, fatigue, depression, headaches and migraines, grand mal seizures, irregular or rapid heart beat, nausea and vomiting, numbness in the finger tips, autism, ADD/HD, Asthma-like symptoms, fibromyalgia type pain, disorientation and confusion, and degenerative disorders such as Parkinson’s and Alzheimer’s.

Don’t be fooled by the term “free glutamate”…

Some foods advertise “No MSG”, or “No added MSG”, but actually, they contain large amounts of a hidden MSG derivative, called “free glutamate”. Many people experience adverse reactions but are not aware that the cause may be exposure to this substance, free glutamate, which is created in manufacturing processes. When any product contains at least 79% free glutamic acid it must be called MSG. Quantities of less than this amount, do not fall under MSG labeling restrictions, and can be called any number of innocent sounding names, such as “natural flavoring”.In larger quantities, free glutamate is toxic to everyone, but for those who cannot metabolize it effectively, even very small doses can act like a poison. MSG stimulates or damages glutamate receptors, making them more sensitive to subsequent ingestion of MSG. Science suggests that free glutamates may act as a “slow neurotoxin” with damage, such as dementia, only becoming apparent years later.

Stealth dangers…

The tricky part for consumers is that current labeling allows for free glutamate to be hidden under more than 40 different names making it extremely difficult for MSG sensitive individuals to identify. For example, hydrolyzed vegetable protein, another name for free glutamate, is widely used in many manufactured food products. Brain lesions have been produced again and again experimentally using hydrolyzed vegetable protein. Also, it has been determined that when these substances are combined together, as can be found in the lengthy ingredient list of many prepared foods, they become much more toxic than when used individually. Commercial soups, sauces, and gravies that are in liquid forms are even more toxic than solid forms, because liquids are rapidly absorbed and attain high concentrations in the blood.

MSG has been found to cause serious damage to several areas of the brain…

It has been clearly demonstrated that free glutamate places humans at risk, and plays a critical role in the development of several neurological disorders, but the FDA dismisses much of this extensive research. Numerous complaints have been filed since its initial use began in the 1940’s. By 1948, many major food suppliers were using MSG, and since then, its use has doubled each decade. The average American now consumes 1.92 pounds of MSG each year.

According to Russell L. Blaylock, M.D., author of “Excitotoxins: The Taste That Kills”, “…excitotoxins play a critical role in the development of several neurological disorders including migraines, seizures, infections, abnormal neural development, certain endocrine disorders, neuropsychiatric disorders, learning disorders in children, episodic violence, specific types of obesity, and neurodegenerative diseases.

Hidden names and sources of MSG…

This is where it gets scary. MSG is hidden in more foods and ingredients than you’d ever dream of. Here are some examples:

“Enriched”, fermented, protein fortified, ultra pasteurized, broth, bouillon, caramel flavoring, corn syrup, cornstarch, dry milk solids, natural flavoring, gelatin, gums, malt extract, milk powder, modified food starch, potassium glutamate, seasonings, soy protein, soy sauce or extract, stock, vitamin “enriched,” whey protein, yeast extract and yeast nutrients.

So, buyer beware. Read those food labels carefully!

I was looking for a throw-up smily. I spend my whole darn life reading food labels looking for the annoyingly inventive ways the food manufacturers hide MSG in things as my 7 yr old son has coeliac. It takes me nearly 2 1/2 hours to do a simple family shop due to this. It's why now I cook most everything from scratch. The manufacturers over here have just started to emblazon their packaging with 'no MSG' but when you read the labels, it's still there, just by another name. This is VERY recent in the UK, up until about 2 months ago, they just said they had MSG in, now they're making it harder for the parents to police. My son is VERY sensitive to even the smallest amounts of MSG and it causes him excruciating stomach pains, so the fact that they're now covering it up is just blinking awful. :soap:

Not sure if they are considered "bad".... we the people continue to buy it. We continue to put in our mouths anything and everything that is on the shelf. Time for us to take control and say enough is enough... simply do not buy it, and they will not make it.

Well yes, that is true in theory...but, how many people can actually carry it out? When I wrote about health and wellness, I was constantly trying to dispell food myths and explain their dangers, all the time. But you might as well be shouting to the wind. Even I can't resist some salt and vinegar chips from time to time. But they were serving "no preservative" chips when I went to the local Epilepsy Foundation board meeting. (Bit of a contradiction, yes?)

Not sure if they are considered "bad".... we the people continue to buy it. We continue to put in our mouths anything and everything that is on the shelf. Time for us to take control and say enough is enough... simply do not buy it, and they will not make it.

:agree:

MSG always gives me the most horrific migraines.:bondage:

groceries

I only picked up a couple of things at the store today, but I read every label, and compared brands as well as prices. There are not a lot of brands that don't have MSG in them, but I do have a couple of favorite brands that I frequently purchase.

diet

my seizure of choice has been T.C. for over 40 years. (i sound like a broken record) Seizure free now for almost six and a half years. Now I am starting to have headaches, and slow thinking, with words not wanting to exit my mouth. Maybe I am switching seizure types. After I ate a commercial pizza five days ago, I woke up with an aura in the night, and have had a "hang over" all week. Enough of my experiment with processed food!! There is a correlation between excitotoxins and brain function. I am having trouble getting my hubby convinced entirely, so we grocery shop separately. Although he gave up diet coke and said his headaches went away! Gonna make that boy a believer yet!!:rock:

Gigi, he

WILL be a believer, EVENTUALLY. AFTER he sees the progress you make on the new diet.......Remember that old saying "Seers are believers?" Yeah, well, it's true. Sad, though.

I have been doing a lot of thinking about how and why people do or don't make the necessary changes to improve the feeding of the temple in which they reside. I include myself. I have self talks many days, and then realize I have just made a bad choice.
We know certain products are bad for us, yet we say... just today I will have it. We have major medical issues, and we are not using the cleanest fuel our body can function on. I don't understand why we fight ourselves over this.

I've decided

it's because we're weak, and just plain SILLY. We think that it will be just that ONCE, when of course it won't....it will always be more than that...because we're human of course :)

I think

social pressure is problem #1, and since eating is a big part of socializing - this can be our downfall. we went to a baby shower, and my granddaughter's 2nd birthday party over the weekend. The food was outstanding, but mostly bad for us. With the exception of the veggies, everything else is baaaad. Try to strike up a conversation about chemicals in food at one of these gatherings, and a look of horror comes over the receivers face as they wipe cake icing from their lips!
Now if a diabetic is avoiding the carbs (sweets) no one is too shocked over that.:twocents:

Diet drinks

:agree:THANK GOODNESS your hubby gave up diet soda! I think that stuff is right up there with rat poision and arsnick (sp?.). I have a wonderful friend who has severe health problems (respatory) used to drink 10 - 12 diet cola a day. Is now down to 3-4 . I can not convineince her to give up the &*^^%# diet drinks. grrrrrr pardon any mis-spelled or wrong words - took my med. this a.m. - makes me stupid (er) (^u^)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom