Munchausen by Internet: Faking Illness Online

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ya know, I reread this and it sounds really blunt and that's the way I am sometimes. What I should of said is that I really don't like this particular subject because I don't know much about it. And I get a lot of people who don't know about my sons illnesses, so if he starts throwing a fit in public I have had people tell me how to raise him to calling my son names. And I know that all I need to do is say I love you and put my arms around him and then the others walk away quietly. Its just something that I think the professionals should deal with. I love you all and I hope I did not offend anyone.

I understand completely. I am sorry you have to go through this with your son. But it sounds like you have a very close bond. And this is the most important thing for you both. And you offended no one. You just helped us to understand you better. Love and Peace to both you and your son.

Ya know, I reread this and it sounds really blunt and that's the way I am sometimes. What I should of said is that I really don't like this particular subject because I don't know much about it. And I get a lot of people who don't know about my sons illnesses, so if he starts throwing a fit in public I have had people tell me how to raise him to calling my son names. And I know that all I need to do is say I love you and put my arms around him and then the others walk away quietly. Its just something that I think the professionals should deal with. I love you all and I hope I did not offend anyone.

You are not alone with this, especially those folks who have children
with Autism and believe it or not - it's unreal how many people have
picked up their cell phones to "report" child abuse because of the
behavior not being aware of the child's own medical condition at
all - and mind you, the torture of the parent or parents having to
go through to explain it all, especially to the Law Enforcement is
absurd. Some folks just won't mind their own business and are just
flat-out too cell phone finger happy on the dial!

However, my post has nothing to do with such individuals with this
type of medical conditions whatsoever, so no need to say "I'm out"
when you're in!

)

That itself is a who different picture on a whole different page as
well as with other medical disorders and conditions. That is totally
entirely a different subject.

But you have all my sympathies and ((((((((( hugs )))))))))))
for you have the love and strength to endure with a child such
as this and yet, you are one special parent!

:rose: :rose: :rose:

I'm one of those people who will call. I guess I'd rather be safe then sorry. But it depends on your definition of child abuse.

I get that people need to discipline their kids, and sometimes when the child acts up, that needs to be in public. As embarrassing as that is for both child, parent, and by standers. But when someone is DRAGGING their child by the arm relentlessly, while the child tries to pull away, is child abuse. Stop pulling and let the child sit. Then talk to them for a bit until they are ready to keep walking. You could easily dislocate an arm by pulling. You may not think your pulling hard, but if the child tugs back too hard and fast, then that's the result.

Also, people who continue to smack their kids upside the head several times, picking them up by the back collar of their shirt, to haul off and hit them again, is also abuse. I used to work in a children store and on more than one occasion I have had to call security on parents like this. And sadly, its usually the mother. Not the father. So yes I would Call for those.

But if a kid is acting out, screaming and yelling, and the mum or dad is having trouble calming them down and can discipline them without resorting to hitting then I'd have no problem. I believe in spankings. I was spanked, and most kids my age were spanked and the majority of us turned out fine. Because we got it through our thick skulls that we should never do what we did. And then never did it again. But leave the spanking at home, not in the public eye.

I don't spank my child because that simply would not work. My son has violent behaviors and sometimes I have to drag him out of the stores. If I don't it becomes a yelling battle. I pick him up and take him out side. I do what is needed to do. He knows I love him. And he won't sit. Thank you so much for understanding.And I love you all so much. I don't think you understand. You are all like my family.Thank you all.

stilldancing and Rae: You are both speaking of a very important topic which is becoming more and more debatable. How do we disipline our children? We wonder what we should do with our own child when he/she acts out? We see mothers hit their child in public, we hear about mothers being sent to jail for harming and/or neglecting their children in the most unimaginable ways. Something we hear about all to often in the news. In this thread however where talking about a very partcicular form of child abuse, Munchausen by Proxy Syndrome (MBPS). And I'll let this excerpt from an article explain it.
Munchausen by proxy syndrome (MBPS) is a relatively uncommon condition that involves the exaggeration or fabrication of illnesses or symptoms by a primary caretaker. One of the most harmful forms of child abuse, MBPS was named after Baron von Munchausen, an 18th-century German dignitary known for telling outlandish stories.

About MBPS
In MBPS, an individual — usually a mother — deliberately makes another person (most often his or her own preschool child) sick or convinces others that the person is sick. The parent or caregiver misleads others into thinking that the child has medical problems by lying and reporting fictitious episodes. He or she may exaggerate, fabricate, or induce symptoms. As a result, doctors usually order tests, try different types of medications, and may even hospitalize the child or perform surgery to determine the cause.

This is how clever the mothers are. Not your average everyday mother who hits her kid!

A perplexing aspect of the syndrome is the ability of the parent or caregiver to fool and manipulate doctors. Frequently, the perpetrator is familiar with the medical profession and is very good at fooling the doctors. Even the most experienced doctors can miss the meaning of the inconsistencies in the child's symptoms

"All of these mothers are "very" smart and sneaky and can cause their children death.

If you go on the net you'll find endless articles about the Syndrome. It's a crime that almost always goes undetected. It's beyond my comprehension how a mother can derive any delight in hurting her child this way. Often it's about the mother getting attention. "Oh my poor child. See how good I care for him/her and see what I have to go through?" Very sick women with whom I have no sympathy for. But a topic worth discussing.

http://kidshealth.org/parent/general/sick/munchausen.html

Last edited:
But if a kid is acting out, screaming and yelling, and the mum or dad is having trouble calming them down and can discipline them without resorting to hitting then I'd have no problem. I believe in spankings. I was spanked, and most kids my age were spanked and the majority of us turned out fine. Because we got it through our thick skulls that we should never do what we did. And then never did it again. But leave the spanking at home, not in the public eye.

So what is the difference between spanking and hitting? My son was very strong-willed and hyper when he was growing up and there was no way I could spank him without it turning into hitting because he would not stay still long enough. I would have been accused of child abuse. I don't believe in spanking. IMO, it only teaches children to be violent.

On to something else:

Originally posted by Cinnabar:
This is how clever the mothers are. Not your average everyday mother who hits her kid!

]Quote :
A perplexing aspect of the syndrome is the ability of the parent or caregiver to fool and manipulate doctors. Frequently, the perpetrator is familiar with the medical profession and is very good at fooling the doctors. Even the most experienced doctors can miss the meaning of the inconsistencies in the child's symptoms

On one of my appointments to see my epileptologist back in the 90's, I was reading a book about a woman with Munchausen. My dr. saw it and told me that she suspected one of her patients had the same thing because this patient was trying to cause seizures for her child. But this doctor was beginning to see the signs and the inconsistencies of the lady's story, although the woman apparently had been in the medical profession. Very interesting.

Many of these women are drawn to the medical profession for the very reason to equip themselves with the varied in order to manipulate doctors into believing them. It's like college for them. A study at the expense of their children.

In my case, when my children were growing up: I never hit them. Once a week we would read Bible stories and I would discipline my children by disussing and talking it out. That is when they were old enough to discuss.

Sometimes, I did have to spank my children. The laws changes in CA before my last child was born. It became against the law to even spank a child. That became child abuse. The authorieties when overboard on these laws.

I had to be real careful in raising my last child. He was slow in learning how to speak. I was accused of child abuse and had to get an attorney to keep my child from being taken away from me. My attorney saw my baby and laughed and said that I had a very healthy baby.

I never abused my children. I never spanked any of them in public. To me that is child abuse, spanking in public.

In my case, when my children were growing up: I never hit them. Once a week we would read Bible stories and I would discipline my children by disussing and talking it out. That is when they were old enough to discuss.

Sometimes, I did have to spank my children. The laws changes in CA before my last child was born. It became against the law to even spank a child. That became child abuse. The authorieties when overboard on these laws.

I had to be real careful in raising my last child. He was slow in learning how to speak. I was accused of child abuse and had to get an attorney to keep my child from being taken away from me. My attorney saw my baby and laughed and said that I had a very healthy baby.

I never abused my children. I never spanked any of them in public. To me that is child abuse, spanking in public.
One time I took Alex, my boy, to my Dr. in Seattle with me, and he just smacked me on the face. Now anybody else would of thought that. But he has a disorder where he gets angry for no aparent reason. I walked away and took his hand first.I was so embarrassed. It's when it all first started. But like what Cint went through with her son. I am going through with mine.And I just don't spank. Because it does turn into a hitting match. I want him to think about what he is doing. Plus he is special ed, epilepsy, and there is so much more. I have had to hold him down. Now, as an on looker would you know that?

IMPORTANT - PLEASE READ before anyone goes further ...

One time I took Alex, my boy, to my Dr. in Seattle with me, and he just smacked me on the face. Now anybody else would of thought that. But he has a disorder where he gets angry for no aparent reason. I walked away and took his hand first.I was so embarrassed. It's when it all first started. But like what Cint went through with her son. I am going through with mine.And I just don't spank. Because it does turn into a hitting match. I want him to think about what he is doing. Plus he is special ed, epilepsy, and there is so much more. I have had to hold him down. Now, as an on looker would you know that?

It's not just that issue there - there's a huge disorder and it's turning
into two different topics here; totally unrelated to the thread itself.

One is a neurological medical condition itself - like what Therese and
Cindy has to deal with.

The other is a psychological issue - which is the thread which is
pertaining to.

I would very much would like to see this topic posted on its own
thread pertaining to this neurological issue because it is very
valid and of concern ... because due to lack of public awareness.
I am going to see if Bernard can "cut" this thread and move it
to a thread of its own and keeping this thread to where it
belongs because we are beginning to have two topics in here
where I am beginning to see that it is going to create confusions.

I do not wish to have nor create any confusion, because as
implied - BOTH ARE VALID TOPICS - but both are very different
issues!

Does everyone agree? Let's hold off the conversation while I
get a hold of Bernard to see if he can split this and move this
topic away from this one so that we can have it moved into
the Parents Division or wherever Bernard feels it should be -
unless you want to send a PM to him as to where you would
like to see this thread located at - but honestly, I feel that
this belongs in the Parenting Department.

Brain said:
Let's hold off the conversation while I
get a hold of Bernard to see if he can split this and move this
topic away from this one so that we can have it moved into
the Parents Division or wherever Bernard feels it should be
Enough said! Thank you Brain and will be awaiting the outcome. Until otherwise notified, no one is to add to this thread. Case closed just for now.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:
I didn't mean to change every thing. Sorry guys. But I think it would be better to be 2 different links. Or we can just drop mine. I don't care. sssssssssssssssssorry.

No need to drop yours at all, you have a valid point
and a valid topic! No need to apologize, these things happen
once in awhile - no big deal!

:tup:

:)

I will hold off until further notice. I agree, two different threads because we have two valid points of discussion. :tup:

I originally put this topic in the Kitchen (the forum's busiest room at the time) as a reminder to all CWE members that you never know who or what you are dealing with on the internet - not to get too emotionally involved with another member's story.

Trying to figure out how to split this thread and keep conversations cohesive sounds like an attempt at untying the Gordian knot - not going to happen. I think this thread has served it's original purpose, so I'm going to close/lock it up.

You are all welcome to start new threads in the Nursery or Padded Room or wherever to follow up on related tangents. I'd suggest including a link to this thread (or a post within it) for reference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom