Music\auditory stimulus and the Epileptic brain

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Sorry Shelley, I'm asked to log on to medscape when clicking your link.

The medscape link is a dead end unfortunately for me too Shelley, but I wanted to comment on the 'livescience' link you posted (I reposted it below):

http://www.livescience.com/health/09...sic-brain.html

NICE LINK! The article communicated very nicely to those of us who DON'T have a doctorate in scientific terminology (IMHO of course!).
I read along...intrigued the whole way!
I came away saying:

• "okay, if you're telling me the findings seem to indicate an apparently 'sensitive time for development' in kids is 10-13 years of age...then I must concur 100%! Seriously, when do young 'rockers' decide to start 'shredding'?"
  • "maybe passive music listening doesn't directly increase IQ (to simplify the just of one of the points here)...but it probably calms the subject down and enhances the ability to learn!"
Very nice find Shelley! Thanks!
Speber
:rock::rock::rock:

Okay, found this interesting!....

My father found this article about how simple SPEECH can possibly affect emotions...which in turn could affect stress, right?...thereby lowering one's threshold I suspect.

Music and Speech Share a Code...

I found it very interesting!

Peace,
Speber
:rock:

Last edited:
Hi Speber. Thanks. Did you know that the minor third is also used as the communicative pitch range for MIT (Melodic Intonation Therapy) carried out with patients who have lost the power of speech through head injury. This makes it possible for them to communicate with those around as it is using the singing half of the brain by producing the words in pitch within the minor third interval. Speak soon, and have a great day.

Guy. (Rocket Man)

Dude, you SO000ooooo rock!...

(Wayne's World clip of 'We're not worthy' going in the background here)

Keep up the awesome work Rocketman!

Peace,
Speber
:rock:

WOW, Rocketman,

That is amazing! I bet someday scientists will turn it into a translation system, with a computer that speaks the person's intended thoughts.

Super cool.

i would listen to George Michael love his music and lyrics and iam also a huge Fan to going to see him four times on this tour :woot::woot:

I Just listened to John Denver's Leaving On A Jet Plane. That is one of my favorite songs. Thank you Speber.

Somber - by P!nk
always makes me feel better after soemthing happens. Even if only a little. Soemthing about being safe above everything and happy just makes seizures seem a little less scary for me.

I am sad I've lost George Michael this aint helping either ..wish he was still with us

Interesting. My tonic/clonic seizure was preceded by loud music and my partials start with auditory hallucinations - music or a musical tone to a voice. I assume that I am triggered by sound. Wonder if anyone else who deals with that issue can find solace in music as something that makes them feel better. Also, how do you get the music on so fast if a seizure is coming?

Back
Top Bottom