music causes seizures

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Yes that was interesting wasn't it? This is where a journal is so important to be able to connect the dots. Can you imagine how hard that must have been for her to convince her doctors that this was true?

Birdy beat you to it Stacy!...

I added her finding to my links a while back...however, your link seems alittle more in depth and offers some other links that spur off it...so I'm adding yours as an addendum!

To all who wish to find this...follow the links in my signature line!
:rock:

Wow that's very interesting. Thanks for sharing that. I wish I could find the trigger to mine.

Keep a log!...

It's hard to do sometimes...but can really pay off!
:rock:

I will definetly start keeping a log on my seizures and see what we find out.

Hello- I have complex partial seizures and am a composer. I am also blind and hard of hearing but have my instruments modified audio wise to be able to hear its ranges etc. I play cello, violin, bass, keyboards/piano, synthesizers, hammered dulcimer as well as elec. guitar for leads- I feel that I can compose better after a seizure for some reason almost as if my brain is back in order or more in order after the seizure. Also My twin plays music and we are a group together actually and we both kinda have this ESP thing going on while working in the studio- a lot of our concerts are improv at the end of the set. I wonder if epilepsy has helped in this or if because we are twins or what? Hehe.
Music is hard for me to hear in the low/high range so I change all of the keyshifts down to middle range so we can hear them. Does anyone else think their epilepsy has helped in their musical abilities?

Last edited:
Music helps my epilepsy. It relaxes me. I listen to soft classical music. I do not listen to hard rock, rock & roll (unless it is in a movie I am listening to) or other music that stresses me out.

Soft classical music relaxes me.

Music Really helps me too (in fact I own a Vintage guitar) I don't play it though it was my Grandmother's. I listen to all kinds of music including classical

Hmmm?.....

Crystal11, I would say you are in the vast minority since you claim to be AIDED by seizure activity.

As a pure guess, I'm going to say there may be a 'build-up' in you prior to a seizure...(do a search on 'kindling' for posts similar to what I'm getting at)...and the seizure 'releases' the buildup---letting you get back to 'zero' of sorts.

I'm guessing the buildup before the release is clouding/distracting your ability to compose somehow.

:twocents:

Peace,
Speber

#1: logging doesn't work for me - I forget I bought the logbook and what it's for; even stickums can be right in front of my face and I forget to look at them!!

#2: fast rap or heavy metal music starts me off w/a headache which can go full blown seizure

#3: soothing, no lyrics, music can calm me

#4: HOUSE on tv, which I love, always puts me to sleep!!! So, do other tv shows.

#5: silence is blasting loud to me; I have to have a fan/cpap/O2 condensor/and a/c going to may "grey" sound otherwise I will just lay awake and listen to the sounds of the night - so I reckon it is not silent.

Back
Top Bottom