My 29 yrs old brother died 1-5 from grand mal seizure- I have questions

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

I'm sorry to hear of the loss of your brother. My heart goes out to you and your family

The last seizure I had was while playing a video game with my brother...From what he told me I paused the game and set the controller down gently and then I had the grand mal...I don't remember doing that and the last thing I actually remember was getting home from work before waking up in the hospital...I was able to answer the usual questions like, "Do you know where you are?" and "Do you know why you are here?"

I never feel any pain save for being sore up to three days afterwards

i too just lost my younger brother to gand mal seizure.he was only 30 years old.passed away oct 3,2011.he had only had grand mal once before that was two months prior to his passing.it hospitalized him for 8 days and the doctors could never figure out why he was having them.well on the night of oct 3 he had multiple ones and never recovered.this is so hard to go through all you can do is wonder why.he had a birthday coming up on oct 10.he was a healthy young man looking forward to going back to work the next day.but that day never came.its so hard to go on but i know he would want me to.anyone on this site dealing with this may god bless you and your familys.maybe one day the mistery of our loved ones passing will be solved and the doctors will find a cure.it wont bring back our loved ones but it will help that people wont have to go through what we are going through

I cannot find the words to say and yet to say nothing seems wrong too! I want to send out warmth but not sure if you can accept it but I do feel for you xx

I feel for your loss. I am truly sorry that you lost your brother.

My husband was told that I was going to die two different times. During my status epilepsy seizures I did not feel any pain during the seizures. I have the feeling that was your concern. Your brother did not feel any pain.

I think that he had one seizure after the other until he died. That is status epilepsy.

I am very sorry for the loss of your brother. He will be resurrected and you will see him again.

I lost a brother of 21 when I was six. I miss him, I loved him- I love him. May they live on in us.

Nick

Hi Nicholas, I am very sorry for the loss of your brother.

Our loved ones, who have passed on, give us many good memories to keep in our hearts.

Thank you Ruth! He was away in the army most of the time and being Six I have few memories, I just wish I could have hugged him more... I think of him daily!
:)

You can think of those few memories a lot and try to think of more memories.

Don't think of what you could have done, that will just depress you.

Do you have pictures of him?

there is one photo which I no longer have but it's imprinted on my mind!

Great!! Keep thinking about his picture and your memories and he will always be with you.

Do your parents, or anyone else in the family, have pictures of him? You can always have copies made for yourself. That would be great.

Thanks Ruth. My family have all passed away but I do remember his photo

original post

01-07-2009, 08:08 AM
theneffs
Getting Comfortable

My 29 yrs old brother died 1-5 from grand mal seizure- I have questions
To all of those who have experienced grand mal seizures- I want to know what you rememeber once you wake up ? Do you have any memory from once it begin to ends? Are you in pain during the seizure or just afterwards?
Dawn

(I posted this because it is the original post and felt I had taken it over.. I hope this is al-right:) nick)

Hi Nick,

I have absouletly no memory during my seizures. I do not feel any pain during my seizures. I only have pain when I hit the floor and wake up.

It is okay that you put the original post in again. That is what I have been answering you too. You worried if your brother suffered during the seizure. He did not!!

HUGS

I am so sorry about your brother!

From my experience, he felt no pain. From what I have learned on this and other sites we don't feel pain while seizing....it's just the cuts and bruises afterwards. I am totally unaware of what's happening when I seize. It's horrible for those around me (my husband). I am sure that he did not suffer.

Hope this helps.

Hi Nick,

I have absouletly no memory during my seizures. I do not feel any pain during my seizures. I only have pain when I hit the floor and wake up.

I vividly remember my seizures, and it isn't pretty.

Hi car,

Do you remember before, after or during your seizures. If you are awake during your seizures, then it is not a true epileptic seizure. What kind of seizures do you have?

Hi car,

Do you remember before, after or during your seizures. If you are awake during your seizures, then it is not a true epileptic seizure. What kind of seizures do you have?

The first tonic-clonic I recall, was when I was 11yrs.-old(1978, I remember my age because my mother, younger brother n' I had just moved back to the US from the UK). When it started, I was in the living room doing nothing particular, when I suddenly started having a tonic-clonic seizure. The living room in the house my mother was renting, had an iron 'Franklin stove' in the living room that had a brick base and backing to absorb the heat from the stove. When I was in the midst of the seizure, I remember worrying about possibly hitting my head on the brick base of the 'Franklin stove'. As this was happening, my younger brother(9yrs.-old at the time) saw me and started screaming for my mother. My mother ran into the living room from the kitchen and got between me and the stove to keep me from hitting my head on the bricks. I didn't hit my head on the bricks, but I was definitely exhausted when it was over.

The second one that I definitely recall, was when I was 28yrs.-old(1995). I had already been married for a little less than three years at that point. I had told my (ex)wife about my E and what she needed to do, were I to suddenly start having a seizure. I woke up one morning and started to have a seizure in bed. The bed was a platform waterbed with an oak frame and headboard. When I started having a seizure, my (ex)wife jumped out of bed and just stared at me. She didn't even try to keep me from potentially hitting my head on the headboard, or falling out of bed. She left me two years later(I divorced her in 2000), only to tell me a year later(1998) that she had always "wished your disabilities would have just gone away". After that seizure, I felt like I had been run over by a truck.

The third one that I definitely recall, was when I was 35yrs.-old(2002). I was engaged again, after having been divorced for two years and I was in a government services office sitting in line with a couple other people and my (ex)fiance. As I was sitting there in line waiting, I started to feel 'funny'. That 'funny' feeling suddenly progressed into a tonic-clonic seizure. My (ex)fiance despite having been horribly abused as a child and diagnosed with Bi-Polar Disorder Type II, remained calm and kept me from falling on the floor. I could see what was happening, but I could do nothing about it. Also, At the end of it, I felt like I was 'run over by a truck'.

The fourth one that I definitely recall, was when I was 38yrs.-old(2005). Still engaged, my fiance n' I were living together by this time. I had been sitting on the living room couch when I started to have a strange feeling. All of a sudden, I started to have a tonic-clonic seizure on the couch. started feeling my body shake uncontrollably even though I could see what was going on. My (ex)fiance ran over to the couch from the kitchen to make sure I didn't hit the floor. I managed to stay on the couch, but I had the 'truck' feeling again.

My (ex)fiance made me feel that my (ex)wife was a really ignorant idiot about life in general.

Hi car,

Were you diagnosed with a V-EEG test to see if you have epilepsy? That is a video EEG and is more accurate than an EEG. Do you see a neurologist? What medicines do you take?

You may have had more seizures that you do not remember, possible? Were there other times when you had that strange feeling (aura) in your head and do not remember anything after that?

Thank you for sharing your experiences. They must of been awful for you. I am interested in your experiences, since they are so different from mine. I hope you do not think that I am trying to give you a hard time. That is not my purpose.

hey dawn I'm so sorry for your loss, I have grand mal seizures. I do not remember anything after the seizures, there is no pain before or after the seizure. so do not worry he didn't experience any pain. I had no idea what was going on. it's just like you are asleep and I would just wake up with no memory as to what happened.I hope you are doing better. and I hope I helped a bit.

Back
Top Bottom