My mission is to help those with PNES

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Do you know if people with PNES have some sort of chest pain prior to this?

Of all the people with PNES that I have spoken to having chest pain prior to developing seizures has not been mentioned. However, some who suffer PNES also have panic attacks which can manifest with chest pains. And some people do have seizures that are not epileptic seizures related to cardiac problems. These patients are classified as simply nonepileptic seizures, which indicate a physiological cause vs. a psychiatric cause.

You mentioned that he had child trauma and PNES are extremely common with that type of history.

Has he had a video-EEG performed?

With video-EEG now the standard for psychogenic non-epileptic seizures diagnosis we can be pretty well assured a correct diagnosis. The use of video simultaneously with traditional EEG is considered the gold standard in psychogenic non-epileptic seizures diagnosis.
I think this method can work to distinguish epileptic tonic-clonic seizures vs psychogenic ones, but it has its limitations with partial seizures, particularly those that originate in areas the EEG sensors don't adequately cover.

EEG's relating to PNES

I think this method can work to distinguish epileptic tonic-clonic seizures vs psychogenic ones, but it has its limitations with partial seizures, particularly those that originate in areas the EEG sensors don't adequately cover.

Thanks Nakamova. This is a very important subject. I believe the foremost expert in the world on interpreting EEG's related to PNES and making the correct diagnosis is Selim Benbadis, MD at USF in Tampa. For more on this I would suggest reading his articles and a great place to start is at his faculty page at the University of South Florida website.

Oh, seems as if I got this ages after it was posted, though not so. I am quite certain in the area in which I live (the middle of the middle of no where) there isn't many places that treat PNES. I was told to drive to Rochester NY, (5 hour drive one way) to be able to just get treatment. I can't do that. They try up here, and all they do is make it worse. I'm honestly better off not having a therapist. It was when my other therapist left and I had to go through the whole rigaramore that things started hitting all the fans. It was just one of God's little happy accidents to make sure that he knew that I knew that I can handle all he can give me. (I'm not sure if I'm being sarcastic about that right now.) Because a lot of my PTSD crap did hit the fan and boy howdy! I'm having the nightmares and I can't sleep. They've put me on a blood pressure lowering medication that is used to get rid of the nightmares, but I'm a medical night mare and if it's supposed to do one thing it does another. So, it's not working. C'est la vie! ~T

I have pain over my left clavicle that hurts like son of a gun. They thought at first it was a heart related problem and put a loop recorder in and left it in for about a year. They told me it was nothing just "PVC" which when they explained it (can't remember now) didn't sound like nothing. Still hurts there to this day when I have my PNES.

My PTSD and deep depression started after having brain surgery for epilepsy. I was in intense therapy, seeing a well known neuropsychiatrist for years after my surgery. I had worse seizures after surgery, not only CP's, but TC's as well. And they were not PNES!

Anyway, here is an article in the Neuropsychiatry Disease and Treatment Library about PNES:
Psychogenic nonepileptic seizures: a treatment review. What have we learned since the beginning of the millennium?
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3523560/

:agree: with Nak. I have seizures that originate in the hippocampus. They start out as CP and sometimes generalize. The hippocampus is the 'memory' area of the brain and is also very in tune to any childhood trauma. My neuro has asked me if there was childhood abuse/trauma. Here is more interesting facts on the issue:

http://www.dana.org/news/features/detail.aspx?id=34378

Childhood Trauma Leaves Lasting Marks on the Brain

Sensitive periods

Martin Teicher, a researcher at Harvard Medical School, agrees with the ACE team that there must be some biophysical pathway altered by childhood abuse. Since discovering more than a decade ago that victims of abuse showed abnormal electroencephalograms (EEGs), he has been studying alterations in brain structure and function linked to adverse childhood experiences.

“Early childhood maltreatment acts as a stressor,” said Teicher. “It can result in a cascade of physiological changes to the brain. And by affecting how the developing brain is structurally and functionally wired, that childhood abuse leads to the emergence of psychiatric disorders.”

But not every person exposure to childhood trauma develops psychiatric problems. Teicher’s research suggests there are particular “sensitive periods” where abuse can derail normal brain development, leading to those later issues.

“We’ve found that the hippocampus is particularly vulnerable to abuse at three to five years of age, the corpus callosum between nine and ten and the prefrontal cortex between fourteen and sixteen years of age. These areas are linked [respectively] to depression, suicide attempts, and addiction,” says Teicher. “We’re trying to hone in on the timing of exposure of abuse and its effects on the normal trajectories of brain development.”

His lab has found that the type of abuse is also important. “Specific types of abuse seem to affect the cortical regions and sensory pathways involved in relaying and processing that aversive information,” says Teicher. “Witnessing domestic violence, for example, affects gray matter in the visual cortex and affects pathways that convey information from the visual system to the limbic system. In contrast, psychological abuse and bullying makes changes to development in auditory processing pathways.”

Teicher believes the data is clear—ACEs play a pivotal, biological role in later psychopathology and other negative health outcomes. And as we learn more about how they do so, he argues, doctors need to be very aware of childhood histories to make sure those with depression or other health issues are treated correctly.

“If the neurobiology of individuals with a history of childhood trauma is different, then the way these individuals respond to typical treatments is also going to be different. And that’s critical to finding the right therapy,” he says. “Individuals with childhood abuse and major depression will have a much poorer response to drug treatment, for example, than those without that history. That means that history is a critical determinant in how to approach their treatment and should never be underestimated.”

Back
Top Bottom