My Post..

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Gary D

New
Reaction score
After heart surgery for a valve repair, I got a Staph infection in the sternum wound via an undisolved stitch leaching sweat into the wound, they put me on antibioatics while on Warfrin, they had to tripple the warfrin dose to over 11mg per day, due to the interaction of the antibioatics. just after this I began to have TIA strokes, 9 in total some very bad, lucky 8 of them happened in hospital, after 8 weeks I took myself off warfrin and the TIA strokes stopped, a few weeks later after the course of antibioatics finished, the infection said to be gone, a few weeks later it came back more agressive than ever causing a huge lump on top of the sternum, I was put on IV antibiotics and then the seizures began. I have been taken to hospital 3 times by ambulance and have had 5 seizures in total as well as a dozen smaller events. I was on IV for 9 weeks,, after 6 months, lump is still in neck, neck is as red as an apple and I have a second MRI next week.

Hi Gary D, welcome to CWE!

You're experience sounds quite unpleasant to say the least. I hope the docs have taken full responsibility for the errors that led to your current health problems, especially with then Warfarin. Warfarin is known to cause brain bleeding and strokes, so it should have been prescribed with caution and close supervision. Brain bleeds are a pretty likely cause of the seizures too.

Have you been prescribed medication for the seizures? What do the docs plan to do now in therms of your treatment and recovery? I hope things get much better from here on out.

Best,
Nakamova

hi Nakamova.
I thought it was the warfrin as well and as soon as I stopped this the TIA's stopped, as soon as I stopped the antibioatics, the really bad seizures stopped, I get a lot of little ones now.

They don't want me to take any medication for 6 months to allow my body to recover from all the trauma. so I only have panadol (headache tablets) 2 every 3 - 4 days.
I am trying unrocessed honey and ceylon Veron cinninom made as a tea and bi-sarb soda 1 teaspoon in water as a drink, once a day. The seizures are getting smaller so maybe it is helping. the bi-carb is said to change the ph of the body and the honey and cinninom is said to be good for the blood and vains etc. I just have to try something as the Dr's don't know. thank you for your reply..

That's interesting about the cinnamon. It's known to have an anti-clotting effect on the blood, so be careful with it.

Hi Gary and welcome! You sure have been through a lot! I hope that things calm down soon for you. I will be rooting for you!

Hi Nakamova, there are two tyes of cinninom, the one sold in the US in shops, Cassia is banned in Germany and Canada, the one I use is Veron and not the Chinese one, Cassia.
Cassia is agressive as an anti-clotter, Veron is not. Veron is from the bark of a "True" Bay leaf tree.. just to clear up the difference. I am hoping things get bettter as well, I lost my job through all of that as well and only just found a job last week. Thankyou Huskymom..

justangie

Hello I am new here I have had epilepsy my entire life.I have headaches every now and then but, I am doing fine.

Hi justangies, thank you for your comment, I hope you are doing well. This is all new to me as before the operation I was all clear. I have a feeling the seizures will be with me for the duration.. Ps: I am new here too.

I am very new. My mom took me off meds when I was little from what all I have learned I will have it forever. Which is ok just alot to learn about it.

How do you do :) Pleased to meet you. I'm Stephanie, I'm new to the forum too and only got diagnosed on the 24th Feb! So I am new to Epilepsy :D

This site is good for information! :D x

I was hit by an oncoming car when I was sixteen. I was walking car struck me going 65mph.I only lost two years of my memory. And I was put on dilantin. I almost died but I am in real good health today.Thank god.But times get hard I just try and go on with a smile.

Steph. since your new to epilepsy try a site its called patience like me. It is a fantastic site it helps you with keeping track of epilesy and all and they have major info. It helps me alot

Back
Top Bottom