My Terrible Confession.

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Believe me, I am. I've got an appt scheduled with a mental health counselor, and a short list of psychiatrists I'm going to look into further. I'm hoping the counselor will even have some neuropsychiatrists or other information to suggest?

I just wanted to make sure every response was acknowledged. When I posted this I had no idea where to start, but thanks to all of these responses I have a definite direction to head towards.

Last edited:
Believe me, I am. I've got an appt scheduled with a mental health counselor, and a short list of psychiatrists I'm going to look into further. I'm hoping the counselor will even have some neuropsychiatrists or other information to suggest?

I just wanted to make sure every response was acknowledged. When I posted this I had no idea where to start, but thanks to all of these responses I have a definite direction to head towards.

Fantastic!

I've got an appt scheduled with a mental health counselor, and a short list of psychiatrists I'm going to look into further. I'm hoping the counselor will even have some neuropsychiatrists or other information to suggest?

Awesome!

Just keep in mind that a psychiatrist doesn't typically diagnose you. They just provide medication to treat the disorder based on the diagnosis and suspect symptoms. A good psychiatrist will have you visit a neuropsychologist for a diagnosis. The psychiatrist can help out by providing a list of possible disorders based on blood work, observed personality traits and so on. It will be the psychologist who diagnoses you but it will be the psychiatrist who prescribes medications. Make sure when you choose a psychiatrist that they can provide you with anyone they associate with, especially a neuropsychologist. If they don't work with or have an in house neuropsych then keep looking.

I usually get those two mixed up all the time, but I guess aside from education requirements, the only difference is one diagnoses, and the other prescribes then, huh?

I've made my list of psychiatrists to see, but now I have some requirements for said psychiatrists. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom