Myoclonic jerks is keeping me from sleep!

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Hi there I'm new to this and not sure how to go about...
About two months ago I was under a lot of stress (a health scare) for which I was hospitalised for a night and put on some strong antibiotics. Soon as I started the medication I've had these 'hypnic jerks'. It feels like an electric current going up my spine into my head inside somewhere. Every time I try to drift off to sleep I get jerked right out.
That sent me into a tail spin and I went into full anxiety disorder mode: stomach churning, hyperventilating, adrenaline surges... Was VERY UNPLEASANT! I went to see a CBT psychiatrist and he put me on some anti depressants (Mirtazapine) and sleeping tablets (Zopiclone) to help me sleep.
Since then, six weeks into treatment, my anxiety is manageable... But the jerks are STILL THERE! I notice that I'm being jerked OUT of sleep in the morning when the action of the sleeping tablets had worn off.
I don't know if this have anything to do with epilepsy at all but decided to post something up because I saw someone having a similar problem.
My psychiatrist would have me believe that it's a psychological problem. But I can't help thinking there might be a possibility that it's physiological? I don't have a lot of time to investigate as I've already been on sleeping tablets for a month. I just can't sit here and wait another month...
Any suggestions much appreciated!!

Hi headintheclouds, welcome to CWE!

Are the jerks only in the morning or are they at night as well? Are they changing in any way (happening more frequently or getting stronger)? Do you have any other unusual symptoms?

Even though the jerks preceded your use of Mirtazine, it's possible that the anti-depressant is triggering them or making them worse. Some folks have reported myoclonus as a side effect of Mirtazine, especially in the first few months of treatment.

Another possibility is a deficiency in something like magnesium. (Magnesium plays a role in muscle tension; adding a supplement can sometimes relieve/prevent muscle spasms, jerks, cramps, high blood pressure, etc.) Do you have any other health issues that might be exacerbating a deficiency, or affecting your diet or metabolism?

Best,
Nakamova

Hi Nakamova
thanks for replying. the jerks precedes the antidepressant. I don't know if they're stronger, possibly a bit less so compared to a month ago, but, if I don't take my sleeping tablets, they can come at me as frequently as they use to (like every minute). I've tried Chelated Magnesium too, and I'm now taking Vitamin D supplements as well as Omega 3/6/12. Not sure if there're other health issue: not overweight, quite fit generally. I never did use to have any problems going to sleep. Work might be busy and tense but before this episode, I could always drift of within 10 minutes and have a good 8 hour sleep nightly. Needless to say this is now consuming all my attention and energy.
headintheclouds

You might ask about a sleep study -- if you are having poor sleep, that could make you more vulnerable to abnormal brain activity. You might want to look into something called the Zeo or the FitBit -- wristband devices that track and measure the quality of your sleep:
http://www.myzeo.com/sleep/?gclid=CNfYtIbV7LACFUlN4AodZjd7tQ
http://www.fitbit.com/product?jadid...d=27905&jt=1&gclid=CIGGz-nU7LACFcXe4AodF173vQ

or this app:
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/sleep-cycle-alarm-clock/id320606217?mt=8
It analyzes your sleep patterns and wakes you in the optimal, sleep phase, when you feel most rested and relaxed.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom