Need help with cluster seizures!

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Malla

New
Reaction score
When my seizures start off, they very often end up as cluster seizures with barely one minute between them. How long is it safe to let them come, to see if they stop after a while? I am asking this because I would rather not resort to benso-med's in order to stop them. I guess I'm afraid I'll end up addicted. Is there anything else that can stop cluster seizures? Please let me know if you have any ideas :) thank you, hugs Malla

The vast majority of anti-epileptic drugs are not benzos. I've used them before & never had addiction problems, probably because they were used in small doses, but if you want to avoid benzos watch for these ones.
Clobazam (1979). Notably used on a short-term basis around menstruation in women with catamenial epilepsy.
Clonazepam (1974).
Clorazepate (1972).

The following benzodiazepines are used to treat status epilepticus:

Diazepam (1963). Can be given rectally by trained care-givers.
Midazolam (N/A). Increasingly being used as an alternative to diazepam. This water-soluble drug is squirted into the side of the mouth but not swallowed. It is rapidly absorbed by the buccal mucosa.
Lorazepam (1972). Given by injection in hospital.

Nitrazepam, temazepam, and especially nimetazepam are powerful anticonvulsant agents, however their use is rare due to an increased incidence of side effects and strong sedative and motor-impairing properties.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anticonvulsant#Benzodiazepines
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anticonvulsant#Benzodiazepines

If you check the link it will show you what other AED's are available & their classifications.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom