Need help with medication.

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Rydiggah

New
Reaction score
I was diagnosed 10 yrs ago, my first seizure. Was on depakote 500 mg for 2 years and seizure free. Have been off ever since and no seizures for 8 years. I recently had another one. Ive been off meds and seizure free for a long time and do not want to go back on meds, i had too many problems while on them. Both times i had my seizures were during very difficult and emotional times in my life, im almost certain they were the cause. I recently suffered from kidney failure which is another reason why i do not want to go back on meds. So my question is... Am i being stupid for not going back on meds? Any thoughts are appreciated.

I'm new to all of this so please take my commentary with a grain of salt.

But honestly you need to one speak with your doctor and two weigh out the benefits and risks like anything else in life. If the seizures subside I suppose you may be ok without medication. If they don't and they are severe, you risk falling and hitting your head, injuring yourself or more importantly others while driving etc

I did read briefly search online for a correlation between anti seizure medication and your kidney. It would appear that some medications such as Keppra don't play well with your kidneys. Other medications appear to increase the risk of kidney stones.

Again I'm not a doctor and my information is limited. I wished I could offer up more but again it would appear it boils down to a risk vs benefit.

I agree with Pianoguy, talk with a doctor about wether or not you should take medications. Ask every single question that comes to mind. Remember doctors work FOR US, they are there to give their professional, imformed opinion. You have to advocate for yourself, ask questionis to be imformed. Please let us know what you decide.

soehls - You nailed it and you get it! We forget this so many times! We have to be informed first and understand as much as we can possibly understand when meeting with them. The doctors like it when the patient presents themselves as "blind sheep" and ready to be herded along..... Thanks for being honest and for being bold to express your feelings. :)

Thanks for the advice. Right now i feel as though the medications side effects far outweigh its benefits. For someone like me who has had just 2 seizures in 10 years time, i just dont see the benefit. Do you guys think that sort of mentality is counter productive? Am i being too risky by not taking meds?

Rydiggah,

I've had count them THREE kidney failures, mostly from dehydration and I'm at risk every single day for another one being I don't have a colon anymore and I also take anti seizure medicine. I know for fact that kidney failure can cause seizures and if you've had two or more, you're at a much higher risk for more if you don't take meds.

My doctor was initially saying I could come off meds after two years but I'm pretty sure I'll be taking them for life. I've had three kidney failures and although two of them nearly killed me, the anti-seizure medicines have not been a problem. Actually two other meds I take can add to the kidney failure if I get dehydrated and was told to stop taking them until I no longer was dehydrated.

Second time was dehydration, kidney failure and high potassium at the same time and all or the above was probably the seizure trigger, that and brain injuries in the past. STAY HYDRAtED, can't be stressed enough. Talk to your doctor and see what he wants to do. I learned long ago that even though I know my own body, I don't always know what's best for my body and sometimes the doctor does.

Back
Top Bottom