Neurofeedback - Rebecca's Story

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Hi Robin

All of these things are caused by lack of knowledge about nutrition. When I was growing up in the 50's, nutrition was not thought of. When the fast food restaurant chains started, we along with everyone else ate there. They were crowded.

I was married and was cooking. A good cook at that time, in the 60's on, cooked food with lots of fat. That made it taste good. I did not know about nutrition. Our family is working hard to have good nutrition in our foods. Slowly but surely we are succeeding.

Hi Robin

Epilepsy and cancer are hereditary in my family. Does cancer have any nutritional causes?

Hi Robin

Epilepsy and cancer are hereditary in my family. Does cancer have any nutritional causes?
I would say that nutrition is the number one cause of cancer. If someone can prove this wrong I would like to see proof.

yes it is because when on medication she had six seizures a month

Thats wonderful news!! that has to be progress. Did she also make it thru the time of the month seizure free? CONGRATS!!!! I know how hard you work. Continued success.

joan*

Hi Robin

How many days has it been now? What other successes has she had?

39 days and tickin....

She is putting up a fight on doing NFB these days... can't take the time to do 30 min twice a week. BROTHER! I am working up a good defense that people beg to be able to do this treatment, and that if she gives up this opportunity it might never happen again.

I am working up a good defense that people beg to be able to do this treatment, and that if she gives up this opportunity it might never happen again.

Heck, I'm one of those people & you can tell her if you want.

Also congrats on 39 days.... you broke the 1 month challenge!!:bjump: It's only been a few hours for me.

Let me at cha....
vitamins, minerals, exercise, neurofeedback, organic only no junk.

OOOH I just had a cool idea. I use this equipment from EEG Info and travel to meet up with all of you and do NFB. I wonder if we could find a sponsor. I know it is more difficult than that, but a traveling mobile Neurofeedback clinic might be just what the doctor ordered.

Robin, that is a great idea.

I had no idea that they have mobile Neurofeedback clinics. That would be perfect. It is great that she is going way past the 30 day mark. Strive for 2 years. I know one person who has been seizure free for 2 1/2 years.

I don't think there is a mobile clinic Ruth, I think I just made it up. Would be nice though to get it to people that are not able to drive.

CONGRATS!! and continued success. Ask her to look at the sessions kinda like piano lessons or something. Not pleasant but necessary lol.

Maybe remind her, they may be why shes doing so well, maybe that will encourage her?

Good luck
joan*

Hi Robin, I am so sorry that the mobile is not real. It would be a great idea!!

Metabolism of estrogens occurs in several areas of the body, however the main ones are liver and gastrointestinal tissues. More than 50% of the metabolism and conjugation of estrogens takes place in the liver, therefore targeting the liver becomes central when it comes to affecting the circulating estrogen ratio. Cholesterol is a molecule, which serves as a backbone for formation of a lot of hormones including estrogen. There are a lot of biochemical pathways, which lead to the production of estrogen. Some of these pathways are shown in appendix 1. The major pathway of estrogen metabolism is from estradiol to estrone 6. In turn, estrone (which can either come from androstenedione or estradiol) is metabolized further to 2-hydroxyestrone or 16alfa-hydroxyestrone. Finally, 16alfa-hydroxyestrone can be further metabolized into estriol (the weakest form of estrogen) 1 or to the catechol estrogens, which are then conjugated primarily as glucuronides, sulfates and thioether5,7. The conjugated forms of estrogen are water-soluble as well as they also do not bind to transport proteins. Therefore the conjugated forms of estrogen are readily excreted via bile, feces and urine4. The glucuronide conjugates are excreted in the urine more rapidly than are the sulfates. Because the estrogen sulfates are excreted from the body at a slower rate, they have a higher chance to be hydrolyzed in tissues and act as a source of biologically active estrogens8.

Another way estrogen metabolism is accomplished is by the gastrointestinal system. Approximately 50% of the estrogen conjugates, which enter or are formed in the liver, are excreted in the bile, pass into the intestine, and are hydrolyzed by intestinal bacteria9. Following this hydrolyzation reaction in the intestines the estrogens either are excreted in the feces or they are reabsorbed into the portal circulation. After the reabsorbtion takes place, the hydrolyzed estrogens are metabolized by the liver again and released into the bile or they stay in the circulation and stimulate their target tissues2. The hydrolysis of estrogen-glucoronides is accomplished by the bacterial enzyme called beta-glucuronidase. This enzyme is carried in some unfavorable intestinal bacteria. However, certain nutritional supplements, diet and antibiotics can influence the level of activity of this enzyme.

One study done by Adlercreutz and colleagues, examined the effects of supplementation of oral ampicillin to pregnant women resulted in a 34% decrease in urinary estrogen excretion and a 6-fold increase in the excretion of fecal estrogen. The concentration of conjugated forms of estrogen in the feces actually increased 60-fold.

Another study done by Shultz looked at plasma estrogen levels in vegetarian and nonvegetarian women. Fourteen premenopausal vegetarian women were compared with 9 premenopausal omnivores. The vegetarian women consumed significantly less fat, especially saturated fat, than the omnivores. Plasma levels of estrone and estradiol were found to be lower in the vegetarians. Finally, study presented by Sherwood and colleagues, showed that vegetarians excreted threefold more estrogen in their feces, had lower urinary excretion, and had 15-20% lower plasma estrogen levels. The above studies show a positive correlation between high plasma levels of estrogen and consumption of fat, as well as, a negative correlation with consumption of high fiber diet. The above results indicate that diet can alter the route of excretion of estrogen by influencing the enterohepatic circulation and that this, in turn, influences plasma estrogen levels.

In summary, the breakdown and excretion of estrogens is an extremely complicated process and a wide range of factors can influence it. Research seems to suggest that certain components of diet either increase or decrease the metabolism as well as excretion of estrogens. Dietary factors can also shift the production of estrogen from the more potent to less potent ones.

http://www.mississauganaturopathicdoctor.com/mississaugand.com/Articles/EstrogenMetabolism.aspx

Hi Robin,

If I understand you right, the less potent estrogen's are the one's we want. This way it does not damage the liver as much. I eat fat free yogurt to get the natural intestinal bacteria. This is done by diet. I know diet lowers the cholesterol. That is important for me, since I am a diabetic. When I go off my diet, my cholesterol and triglycerides are sky high. Is it the ketogenic diet? Which diet is Rebecca on? Is she on her own diet that is special for your family?

Hi Robin

It seems you are really paving the way for others through your trials and successes with NFB. I know it may be unpopular or somewhat of a religious method, but mindfulness meditation is helpful too..my spiritual guide is teaching us about how we can actually change our brain--the way it functions, reacts, etc by instructing it to behave differently than our normal patterns. I am sure NFB is scientifically based where this is a spiritual experience, but it also increases awareness of the breath and those creeping thoughts that bring on stress, and if stress is a seizure trigger...boy it could just work. I'm still experimenting, but i am very clear on thoughts and healthy in mind at least (not going berzerko)!

Hi No Shame,

Robin is doing research on nutrition for Rebecca and NFB. Her daughter has been seizure free for 39 days or more without AED's now. Look up her blog. She has added several chapters in the ups and downs of what is going on. Press on NFB and see what it is all about. The research she did here is nutritional. It is how the estrogen enzyme affects our liver and gastrointestal track. I love it when Rebecca gives me nutrition research. It helps me with my diabetes, which in turn helps my epilepsy. Diabetes and epilepsy do not get along in the brain. Yes, stress is a major trigger. No Shame, stay with this topic and you will learn a lot, I have.

Robin, how many days has Rebecca been seizure free now?

Back
Top Bottom