Neurologist dropping the ball. Job is on the line!

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

skyfire322

Stalwart
Reaction score
I am now eligible for FMLA through my employer (huzzah!) and the paperwork was due two months ago. I had first faxed it to my neurologist two weeks before it was due, and didn't hear anything back so I thought he had filled it out. I contacted the company that takes care of the FMLA, and they never received it. I then went to the office, physically handed them the paperwork and told them to fill it out and fax it ASAP, as the deadline was a week before. They said they would take care of it that day.

Fast forward a month and a half and they still have not filled it out. I've tried calling them multiple times in regards to this, and I have also went to the office to see what was going on, no response. The biggest issue is that the neurologist in the city I live in is the only one that specializes in epilepsy in a 60 mile radius. The rest around here handle sleep issues, and I really don't feel comfortable missing an entire day of work for a 10 minute appointment.

I've had to call out and leave early quite a few times due to my petit mals, and massive tremors. Since I don't have FMLA, I've been written up per company policy, and this is my second strike. One more strike and I'm fired as these absences are considered "unscheduled".

What to do?

I had something similar to this happen to me a few times for benefits that I get. I don't know if it was for the same thing or if it was for different companies.

On the first time after calling and calling my neuro's office (I can't drive and it's hard for me to get a ride to his office) I had the company call my neuro and the paperwork finally got filled out.

Another time I had my PCP fill out the paperwork because I couldn't get my neuro's office to. The company said the paperwork was ok being filled out by my PCP and took it.

Both times I think I was late getting the paper work in but luckily nothing stopped with my benefits.

I don't know why dr's don't understand that things need filled out ASAP!!! If you have to have any sort of paper work done for them there's no excuse to get it in late!

Back
Top Bottom