New, Absense seizures?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

lise-e

New
Reaction score
Hi there! I'm pretty scared, confused, and looking for people to talk to. So here is a bit about me and what I am going through. Thank you for taking the time to read this its really appreciated.

Its pretty common in my family to have a million different health issues. I have hypothyroidism, chronic fatigue and fibromyalgia and some others. I am probably the healthiest in our toxic family pool lol. So its not sup rising when my doctors sit me down and tell me something else is wrong. I was talking with my doctor the other day, she asked me "what did I just say?" I didn't remember "what were you thinking about?" I could not recall that either. She informed me that she believed that I had an absent seizure. After research into the topic I found it a pretty hazy topic with ranging descriptions. It would certainly explain a many severe ADD episodes. I have a fear of driving as I have often found myself inches from the car in front of me with no recollection. I have always had attention problems that couldn't be fixed by meds.

after a particularly bad experience today I decide to seek support after writing this:
I’m still not thinking right. I always feel so zapped after I have an episode like this. Still not sure what it is. I was sitting on the couch talking to my mom and I was becoming overly stressed ( I feel it is importuned to note that I feel stress is not a necessary factor for this reaction to occur.) I remember very little but much more than usual. I remember feeling tired, everything stopped making sense. My mom was talking to me and I simply couldn’t process what she was saying. I felt like I was about to slip over the edge and pass out. I believe that I stopped myself though I don’t remember how. I thought I should engage my brain, keep it awake. I wanted to turn on the tv but couldn’t. My mom says that I asked her to turn it on but I don’t remember. Now I feel exausted as if I have no energy and my brain is scrambled.

I don't know if this absence seizures or something else but Im pretty sure its not normal. I don't know where to start and Im worried. Thank you for reading.

lise-e

it does sound like absence seizures. you should check your symptoms with a doctor though as i first thought my seizures were absence but then after some tests they turned out to be complex focals

Hi lise-e, welcome to CWE!

When in doubt, get checked out. A neurologist should be able to help you with your symptoms. Absence seizures will often show up on an EEG, particularly during the "hyperventilation" stage, where you're asked to do quick shallow breathing.

Also worth noting is that absence seizures respond well to dietary treatment with the Modified Atkins Diet. More info here: http://www.atkinsforseizures.com/

Best,
Nakamova

Back
Top Bottom