new generic carbamazepine time release formula

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

mangogirl

New
Reaction score
I was just wondering if anyone who takes tegretol xr has switched to the new generic carbamazepine time release formula and if they had any problems. I didn't even know there was a new generic available till today I went to my pharmacy to get my meds and they substituted my tegretol xr with the new medicine from Taro. But I didn't notice it till I got home. The thing is it's so new I'm having trouble finding information about it online. Just the announcement of the fda approval which came out in april.

I was given Tegretol xr Generic for the first time last month. I had a horrible week following. In my oppinion It doesn't work near as good as name brand.

there are several threads on here about generic seizure meds. While some can tolerate the generic, generic seizure meds are really not a good idea. I had tried generic Keppra with bad results. My neuro said with seizure meds, it is very important to get a steady level of your meds. With generics, the actual meds can vary from 80 to 120% from pill to pill. It is like playing russian roulette with your meds. To me, it's not worth the gamble.

I have generic tegratol and tegratol xr thats all my insurance will cover. I have some name brand in the room to. My stomach doesnt like the name brand stuff. Since i have daily seizures on either one. I havent noticed a major diff.

JGB is

right about the difference is potency, and it is something to consider. Keep track of how well you do on the generic. Start a journal NOW. You know you now have different meds, that will be the major change--if you have seizures, and you're not changing anything else, THAT IS THE CAUSE OF THEM.

You CAN force the pharmacy to dispense BRAND NAME ONLY. The doctor must sign the slip as "Dispense As Written" for brand name only and some pharmacies require you to sign a slip of paper saying that you acknowledge that a generic was offered, yada yada yada.

My pharmacy just gives me the slip of paper now when it come to my seizure meds. They don't even bother asking anymore--and it's in their computer to NOT bother asking. I seize if I get a generic, and we had a MAJOR go-round the last time I had one--my kids picked up the scrip, didn't realize it was generic and just handed me the pills knowing I needed them right then. I was sick, and napping, took them, and a few hours later........need I say more?

So when I walked in looking like heck, and highly irritated, slammed the bottle on the counter, that settled that problem right then and there. And that time, I got the brand name for FREE.

Back
Top Bottom