New Member and Suspected Epilespy for Baby

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Hello,

I am so happy to find this forum! I am reviewing a file to adopt an 8 month old who had an abnormal EEG and is taking medication for epilepsy. She is reported to be slightly delayed and has low muscle tension. But she can sit on her own and is trying to crawl/stand. I have researched epilepsy and seizures online but admit I am overwhelmed. This baby girl seems like she is doing okay but is it possible to tell what her outcome will be? Will she have more significant delays? Is there an additional condition coupled with epilepsy? Is it definitely epilepsy because of one abnormal EEG?

If anyone has any experience or has been in a similar situation, I would love to hear from you. Thank you so much in advance!

Welcome mayflowers888

I was born with epilepsy. It is possible your baby has just epilepsy but a lot of other disabilities can also be associated with epilepsy.

Personally I would ask the doctor if the seizures might imply other problems, what they might be & how can they be ruled out.

Hi mayflowers888, welcome to CWE!

f your baby was showing symptoms, and the EEG shows definitive abnormal brainwaves,, then an epilepsy diagnosis would be likely. There's no way to predict what her outcome may be -- many children outgrow their epilepsy, and for some it can be a life-long companion. For now it's important to pay close attention. Don't be afraid to check in with the doctor if something doesn't seem right -- it may mean that the medication means adjusting. the developmental delays could be related to either the meds or the epilepsy, and could definitely just be a temporary situation.

You may want to check out The Nursery forum here, to see what other parents have experienced. And consider PM-ing these CWE members:
http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/members/tase37/
http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/members/seanr53/

Best,
Nakamova

Back
Top Bottom