[Research] New study on calcium

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

It's a tough call, but I think if you DO have a deficiency caused by medication, it's okay to go ahead and take the calcium supplements. Folks with no particular need to boost their calcium should probably give supplements a pass, especially since it's pretty easy to get calcium from dietary sources alone.

The article I read said that it was probably the larger amounts being supplemented at once that causes a build-up of it in the blood. You might want to take the your 2000 mg in numerous doses if you don't already.

The effect may result from unnatural spikes in calcium in the bloodstream after taking supplements, said Dr. Aliya Khan, director of the calcium disorder clinic at McMaster University in Hamilton.

"Dietary calcium is more slowly absorbed whereas these concentrated calcium supplements may potentially contribute to calcification in the blood vessels," Khan said in an interview from a meeting in Winnipeg.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/story/2012/05/23/calcium-supplements-heart.html

Yes, I take my calcium 4 times a day. I guess your body can only absorb 600 mg at a time anyway. I have a a minimally calcifed infrarenal abdominal aorta, but was told it was not of significance because of my age.. 59.

Back
Top Bottom