new to forum, taking lamictal

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

amdonquis

Account Closed
Inactive
Reaction score
Hi, my name is Adriana, and I'm new to this site. Some background information first... I've been taking Lamictal since 20 December 2007. I started taking Topamax in Oct 2003, but I began having problems with breakthrough seizures following a bilateral native nephrectomy in April 2006. I am a kidney transplant patient as well, and I had the nephrectomies 8 months post-transplant. The Lamictal was added in December due to a concussion. It was a planned medication change, but it was sped up a month or two as I was in the process of a move.

I take 150mg of Lamictal in the morning, and 200mg at night. I also take 50mg of Topamax twice a day for migraine management and 400mg supplemental Magnesium.

I, too, have experienced a lot of daytime sleepiness and tiredness. One of the side effects from the Topamax that I'm also experiencing with Lamictal is the vocabulary issue, knowing what you want to articulate but not being able to get the words out. That's VERY frustrating for me. But other than that, I can't really complain. It's working for me.

There is something I thought I'd throw out there... I went to the dentist the other day. I told him I've had sensitivity for years in many teeth. He applied desensitizer to about 5 troublesome ones, but it didn't help on one particular tooth, even after 20-25 minutes of treatment. The enamel was slightly worn down, but the tooth was healthy, no gum disease, etc. The dentist said he has a few patients with hypersensitivity that's not considered normal, when compared to other patients seen in the office. He said there was a particular patient whose description of pain was very similar, if not identical, to mine. He did some research, called me the next day and said that medications that may trigger this "hypersensitivity" include anticonvulsants. And the patients with the "hypersensitivity", we all take Lamictal.

Adriana M.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Adriana, welcome to the forum. :hello:

I moved your post so everyone could welcome you to the forum. :)

Back
Top Bottom