New to Neurontin - basic question

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

kimba

New
Reaction score
Hi, I was just wondering if I could get feedback on what side effect people got from Neurontin? I know some people are on a lot of different med's but if someone could recall the effect only from Neurontin? Thank you sooo much!!

Kim

Background

Zonegran - nervousness

Keppra - anxiety

Depakote - depression

Dilantin - itching

Lamactal - dizziness, forgetfulness

Hi kim,

I was on Neurontin from Nov 2009 - Nov 2010, it gave me the worse side effects of all the meds I was on. The Neurontin was an add on to Tegretol & Keppra.
When the neuro added the Neurontin I got really tired - usually needing a sleep in the afternoon, had terrible mood swings - could cry or snap at someone at the drop of a pin & I think my memory was pretty crap aswell.
I was 400mg Neurontin 3 times a day, along with 1500m Keppra twice a day & 400mg Tegretol twice a day so I was like a walking zombie.

I was put on Gabapentine in Nov. of 2011, I couldn't feel my legs by the afternoon. I stopped the med.

But I'm very sensitive to meds. so maybe it will be ok for you.

My husband takes Neurotin to help with the side effects from chemotherapy. His fingers and feet were always tingling and it hurt him very bad to pick up or step on something cold.

He's on a few other meds but when he started talking the Neurotin he put on alot of weight.

Hey Valerie,
I was wondering how many mg's your husband was on? they say usually over 3000 mg's is when people gain weight. I am taking 900 mg's so I hope I don't gain weight. I will go off of it if that happens.

Kim

Hey Valerie,
I was wondering how many mg's your husband was on? they say usually over 3000 mg's is when people gain weight. I am taking 900 mg's so I hope I don't gain weight. I will go off of it if that happens.

Kim

900 mg a day

Last edited:
I got some wicked hot flashes, but that could have been the interaction with keppra. Seems like whenever I mixed it with other anti epileptics I would feel like I was overheating.

Back
Top Bottom