New to this

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bdkelly

New
Reaction score
Hi. I am 51 years old and was told 2 weeks ago that I have left frontal lobe seizures. This all started last Thanksgiving when I fell the first time (and got a concussion). Everything just goes into slow motion and I fall down, always forward, and hit my head. The day after Christmas I fell again and broke my nose. Since then I have fallen 2 more times, the last being about a month ago. This just started not quite a year ago and has only happened 4 times since then. My primary care doc sent me to a neurologist. I had MRIs and an EEG. She diagnosed me 2 weeks ago. Is it possible to have epilepsy and have falling down spells start at age 50 and then have only 4 in one year. Can she tell from the EEG or is she guessing? She put me on lamictal and said to keep a log, but nothing is happening. I'm just unsure. My mother had epilepsy, but she had frequent grand mal seizures. I have had no seizures. I just fall down. What do you guys think?

Denise

Hi ,welcome to the board. I am sorry that you just got diagnosed but yes you can get diagnosed at any age or time in your life. The Drs can tell if you have epilepsy from your eeg, or mri, or cat scan.You may not be having drop szs because the lamictal is controling them. Which is great.
Riva

So far my sons eeg, mri, cat scans, PET scans, MEG procedure, sleep studies have shown nothing. Of course we know he has epilepsy due to his seizures but none of his tests have shown any evidence of it. We are going to repeat a third sleep study/PET Scan this December. The doctor is going to keep our son in the hospital
to allow him to have at least 3 seizure and 3 PET Scans (as long as they catch the seizure on time to inject the dye). He feels there are to many scenarios that can occur each time the test is done. This is one time where we hope to find something.

Hi Denise, welcome to the forum. :hello:

I had MRIs and an EEG. She diagnosed me 2 weeks ago. Is it possible to have epilepsy and have falling down spells start at age 50 and then have only 4 in one year.

Yes. It is quite common for people to develop seizure conditions (epilepsy) in their 40s and 50s. Seizure frequency can vary tremendously.

Can she tell from the EEG or is she guessing?

EEGs can confirm epileptiform activity with a positive reading, but cannot rule out seizure activity with a negative reading. So the answer is yes, she could if the EEG showed epileptiform activity.

My mother had epilepsy, but she had frequent grand mal seizures. I have had no seizures. I just fall down. What do you guys think?

There are more kinds of seizures than just grand mal seizures. What you described with the "slowing down" sounds like simple partial seizures. The falling down sounds like an atonic seizure.

Welcome bdkelly

Epilepsy can begin at any age. Mine began suddenly at age 47 and we have no one else on either side of my family with any types of seizure disorders.

It sounds as if you are having drop seizures since you are not convulsing or losing consciousness,

Hi Bdkelly

Welcome to the forums. You will find this is a great froum and if you have any qs someone is always happy to help you.

I 1st had epilepsy as a baby when I was about 9 months old and used to have grandmal seizures but the seizures stopped by the time I was 2 or 3 so the drs thought I had outgrown my epilepsy. I was kept on AED meds until I was 7 though.

When I almost 25 I started taking seizures again and was rediagnosed with epilepsy, I am now 30 and still have epilepsy. Since being rediagnosed with epilepsy I have only taking 4 grandmal seizures - 3 when I was rediagnosed and 1 when I was working 3 years ago.
The type of seizures (I call them funny turns) I take are classed as auras or partial seizures. I usualy get a warning like a dream or feel funny in the head. I do still continue doing things while taking these seizures but usualy I'm not able to do things properly while taking a seizure. If I'm talking to someone in person or on the computer I won't make sense & there have been times I have done some strange things.

I used to always think the only type of seizures a person with epilepsy could have were grandmal seizures but after I was rediagnosed I learnt there were many type of seizures.

My Mum told me how there was a story on tv about a boy with epilepsy who has seizures like yours where he drops and has to wear a helmet when going outside.

I hope you have luck with the meds.

:hello: BdKelly

I had atonic aka "drop attacks" when
I was a younger child, but they went
away when I grew older.

It's much different than just "falling
down" or "tripping or slipping" over
something, and it's not a sign of being
a "klutz" either although people are
prone to tend to label one as such
without a realization that a person
'could' have a medical problem.

Bernard's correct in regarding the info
provided to you.

((((( hugs ))))) Glad you found your
way here!

Thank you all for your replies. My neurologist didn't explain things like you did and I didn't know enough to ask her questions. I've just been looking on line and those drop seizures sound exactly what I have. I'm just walking along and all of a sudden I'm on the ground (banging my head). They also last less than 15 seconds like I read. I'm looking forward to being an active part of the group - even though I don't know much. Thanks again.

Denise

Denise,

I haven't really had any doctor explain things properly. Only one orthopedic surgeon used to spend a good deal of time with me.

I was very disappointed with my neuros. They gave me meds, told me to take it easy and sent me out the door. No wrtten info, no pamplets, nothing. I hit the internet and was amazed at the amount of info out there!

Search engines are wonderful tools! There is an article about messageboards I'd like for you to read

What I've Learned from E-Patients

I've been on these boards for 6+ years and find more information on them than any doctor could ever give me.

Thanks for the article

As was said earlier, I received nothing from my neurologist (papers, pamplets, fliers etc). She told me nothing about my EEG except that it "was all over the place" whatever that means.The thing she did discuss at length are my new meds (Lamictal) and it's side effects. She went on and on about the rash. I really appreciate having you guys to talk to. I can't talk to my mother because she's not here any more.We don't have similar symptoms anyway. The article was very helpful. I've been reading about atonic drop seizures (that was earlier suggested) and it sounds exactly like what happens. I now have a better way to explain to my doctor. I think I have partial seizures also. Oh well. THis is a learning experience. Hopefully, I will learn quickly what I need to know.

Denise

As was said earlier, I received nothing from my neurologist (papers, pamplets, fliers etc). She told me nothing about my EEG except that it "was all over the place" whatever that means.The thing she did discuss at length are my new meds (Lamictal) and it's side effects. She went on and on about the rash. I really appreciate having you guys to talk to. I can't talk to my mother because she's not here any more.We don't have similar symptoms anyway. The article was very helpful. I've been reading about atonic drop seizures (that was earlier suggested) and it sounds exactly like what happens. I now have a better way to explain to my doctor. I think I have partial seizures also. Oh well. THis is a learning experience. Hopefully, I will learn quickly what I need to know.

Denise
Hi Bdkelly

I'm not certain but when your neuro said that your EEG was all over the place I think it might've meant it wasn't normal and you were taking seizures. I might need Bernard, Brain or Bird Bomb to let me know if I'm right though lol.

CQ - that's how I interpreted the statement too. :hi5:

Thanks Bernard,
Only reason I knew that is because I remember the 1st time I went to my neuro & had an EEG. After I had the 1st EEG I went in & saw the neuro & I am pretty sure that he said it wasnt normal or all over the place. He also pointed to 3 parts of the EEG where it was 'all over the place'. Apparently that showed the neuro that I'd had 3 seizures.

Denise:

Don't feel bad - I've had more
than my share of Doctors that
have left me bewildered into a
state of massive perplexity of
"HUH?!?!"

:dontknow:

And if those weren't enough ...
those "hmmmm's" and "ummm's" and
"errrrr's" ... and then leaving the
room and coming back with "I'll see
you in 3 months."

Leaving you wondering what the
#)#&$#^%!!!!!! was that supposed
to mean?

:dontknow:

Making you feel like it's some sort of
a "TOP SECRET" X-FILE PROFILE!

Cirrhosis and Epilepsy

As I said before, I take Lamical for my epilepsy. I also have non-alcohol related cirrhosis. My gastro (liver) doctor said he wasn't crazy about me taking Lamictal because is processed through the liver. He did say if I needed it, to go ahead and take it. Does anyone else have cirrhosis and epilepsy. If you do, what do you take? Has your epilepsy medicine affected your liver? I have early stage cirrhosis and I'd like to keep it that way.

Denise

As far as I know, *all* epilepsy meds are processed in the liver. I would think you would be the prime patient candidate for alternative options like diet, CBT, neurofeedback, etc. (see chart linked in my signature for more info on non-drug options).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom