New VNS

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Army Vet

Stalwart
Reaction score
Hi everyone. So I had my surgery this morning. Had to get up at 3:30 AM and get ready in order to be there by 5:30 AM. Had to get up and take a shower (sanitize with their soap), take my meds and then wait for my parents to eat breakfast while I had to sit there and starve 😩 Nah, actually I’m not a morning person and my stomach usually doesn't care to even think about food until two hours later. However, I do like a cup of Joe and not having it didn't help get up lol.

Takes 30-35 minutes to get there. We're one time for the most part when we leave, but what happens? We get our first frost here in the South 🙄 So I had to go hunting for the scraper. Luckily we found it easily. After that small "emergency" we got there just in time. Got signed in and did the usual consent forms. Confirmed who I was and DOB 5+ times (hey, I'd rather them do that than wake up with a missing leg or something). Didn't have to use too much anesthetics to where I was knocked out for 2 hours or something. Carted back out within an hour or so. Funny because I saw a big digital clock when coming out that said 8:26, and I went back at 7:30 or so.

All went well and they transferred the settings to the new unit. Now I've gotta take some antibiotics for 5 days and go back on the 22nd to get the stitches removed. Out of 10, I would say my pain is 2 or 3. Not bad, but noticeable (annoying) and moving my left arm with caution.

Hi Army Vet,

I'm glad to hear that your surgery went well. Don't you just love all that paperwork you have to do before
being admitting or having surgery. It can be a pain at times. You just make sure you take it easy and don't
over do it. Also make sure you eat good.
Wishing You only the Best and May God Bless You,

Sue

Great that everything went good! Keep us updated.

I'm not a morning person either. I would have probably been better just staying up all night.

Hi Army Vet
Glad the surgery went well and your recovery gos well.

I'm not a morning person OR a night person, I'm a "whenever there's daylight" person. I guess that makes me a reptile.

Anyway, glad to hear that surgery went well! Hope the new VNS works as it should.

Hi all,

Thanks for the kind words. So far so good. Still have a slight, dull pain in my upper left chest area, but that's to be expected (hey, you just got cut open there, of course there's going to be pain; what do you think you are, a terminator??) I did joke with my mom before they took me to the surgery room with the famous phrase, "I'll be back..." Considering I’m coming back with metal in me in seemed appropriate to say. Thankfully my mom wasn't too upset about it. If anything she was upset at getting up at 3:30 AM 😂 but no, she was supportive and cheerful.

Status Report:

So I went and got the stitches removed yesterday at the surgical building. Nurse said everything looked ok. Still has some healing to do. Biggest thing is not scratching it 😱🤌 Itches like crazy occasionally.

They were able to set the new unit to my original settings. My next appointment with the neurologist is not until April, but the doc wants to see me sooner than that to check on everything (the last time he saw me was mid-October). Maybe even go up a notch. Also, I’m going to ask about a feature. It has a timer on it that can set as to when it can be turned on and off. I'm going to ask about turning it off at night. Ever since I have gotten it (well, 1 to 2 years), it seems like I haven't rested as well (Dec 2015). I dunno. But we all know that sleep and stress go hand and hand and they both lead to seizures. We'll se what happens.

Glad everything is done with the surgery! Hopefully you can get in sooner to see your neuro too.

I don't know if I'd want to have it turned off at night, even if you aren't sleeping good. I'm not sure if you'd want to turn off the VNS when you go to sleep. The VNS has to stay on in order to work to help stop seizures. I don't know if you have seizures in your sleep either. If you do then with the VNS off you could start having more.

Back
Top Bottom