News Article Seizures and Vitamin D Deficiency

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Hi Andrew

My seizures are inherited. My father, sister and uncle had epilepsy. My 2 sons have epilepsy. My aunt had a family meeting of everyone who wanted to come. I went. She had a family member from Scotland who told us the whole history of our epilepsy. It goes back several hundred years. Just a few generations back, I had found intermarriages in my great grand parents family.

My epilepsy is the same as yours, I have every type of epilepsy, including status epilepticus.

Hi Andrew

My seizures are inherited. My father, sister and uncle had epilepsy. My 2 sons have epilepsy. My aunt had a family meeting of everyone who wanted to come. I went. She had a family member from Scotland who told us the whole history of our epilepsy. It goes back several hundred years. Just a few generations back, I had found intermarriages in my great grand parents family.

My epilepsy is the same as yours, I have every type of epilepsy, including status epilepticus.

Hi feast,

I am the only one in my family with this type of epilepsy. I don't know of anyone else in my family with seizures.

I would be very surprised if you have the same type of epilepsy as me.

**DO NOT ALTER ANY MEDICATION WITHOUT YOUR DOCTOR'S CONSENT**

Vitamins can interfere with other medication.

A high dose of vitamin B6 may cause Peripheral Neuropathy.

Andrew

Last edited:
Hi Andrew

What type of epilepsy do you have? I have absence, status epilepticus, tonic clonic and tremors.

What type of epilepsy do you have?

Hi Feast,

I have a RARE type of Pyridoxine Dependent Epilepsy. Which means that my many different types of 'main' seizures (apart from Absent 'TYPE seizures) are all controlled with a high dose of vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine HCL). The other seven B vitamins help to prevent my aura. In over 38 years of having seizures I have never used any Antiepileptic Drugs to control my seizures, only B vitamins (mainly B6). Antiepileptic Drugs have no positive effects on my seizures (this has been proven through unsuccessful trials).

Vitamin B6 proberbly saved my life as a young child. Without B6 I definitely would not be able to solve the Rubik's Cube and ask questions like the following:

http://www.fnal.gov/pub/inquiring/questions/blueberry.html

**DO NOT ALTER ANY MEDICATION WITHOUT YOUR DOCTOR'S CONSENT**

Vitamins can interfere with other medication.

A high dose of vitamin B6 may cause Pheripheral Neuropathy.

Regards

Andrew

Hi Andrew

I have never been able to solve the Rubik's Cube. I take Vitamin B6 for my Keppra.

I do not take a high dose. I know that can give me problems, as well.

New study released earlier this month-- amazing outcomes. I am new to this site so it won't let me post the link, so I have pasted the info below. Well worth reading!

Epilepsy Behav. 2012 May;24(1):131-3. Epub 2012 Apr 11.
Correction of vitamin D deficiency improves seizure control in epilepsy: A pilot study.
Holló A, Clemens Z, Kamondi A, Lakatos P, Szűcs A.
Source

National Institute for Medical Rehabilitation, H-1121 Budapest, Szanatórium u. 19, Hungary.

Abstract

There is growing interest concerning the role of vitamin D in various medical conditions such as diabetes and oncological, cardiovascular and central nervous system disorders. Although vitamin D deficiency is known to be highly prevalent among epilepsy patients, only a single study, published nearly forty years ago, assessed the effect of vitamin D on seizure control. Here, we measured serum 25-hydroxy-vitamin D (25(OH)D) levels and normalized it by administration of vitamin D3 in 13 patients with pharmacoresistant epilepsy. To see if vitamin D3 has an impact on seizure frequency, we compared seizure numbers during a 90-day period before and after treatment onset. We found that seizure numbers significantly decreased upon vitamin D3 supplementation. Median seizure reduction was 40%. We conclude that the normalization of serum vitamin 25(OH)D level has an anticonvulsant effect.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22503468

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom