Non-profit ganizations that give temporary short term financial aid??

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Hello,

I've been out of work with no income for 3 months and I applied for Social Security Disability but that will take months (maybe over a year), I have partial motor seizures & narcolepsy with cataplexy. I never bought short term disability but I am applying for my employer's long term disability benefit. I live in Pa which does not have state funded short term disability & Governor Corbett eliminated cash assistance through the welfare program last year (Unless you are pregnant or have a child in your household & I do not have children). There is not any funding for emergency rental crisis in Philadelphia either like there was in the past. I am ineligible for unemployment because I am unable to work. I do not have a husband to support me or family to fall back on. I got in debt after having to reduce my hours at work because of being sick so I do not have any savings, no 401K to borrow from & no options. Is there any non-profit organization that helps people with epilepsy financially (short term) so they don't become homeless & destitute. The only aid that I am eligible for is Medicaid (which most doctors don't take) & food stamps. I was receiving $200 a month but Governor Corbett just reduced that to $189. I feel like I am dieing a slow death here facing eviction & financial destruction and being sick as well. Social security's answer is to live off of family & friends?? Is that the best America can do for a person who has paid income taxes for the past 30 years?? And never asked the govt for any help all my life. Any links to resources?? Thank You.

Chrissy, are there any churches in your area that can offer assistance, like maybe a St. Vincent DePaul organization?

Yes, I tried the Catholic churches & they direct me to the Archdiocese of Philadelphia. Rental assistance is out of funds ...just like all these programs that once existed but now are gone. Yes, if you google "charity non-profit organizations emergency assistance programs" dozens of programs pop up but when you call you hear that the # has been disconnected or that the program no longer exists or they are out of funds & they don't know if or when the funds will return or it just rings & rings & sometimes a recording comes on & tells you to leave a message but then it will say the mailbox is full. I am talking dozens of phone numbers that I have called & I understand this is because social service programs have been cut. & then ofcourse with welfare...you must be pregnant or have a child in your household & that's the bottom line.

Back
Top Bottom